2023 Hyundai Kona N-Line 1.6L Turbo 0W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 8157 km OCI (10,260 km Odometer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to add that I have a K&N air filter installed.

There's wear metals it seems as it's a new engine. But overall I'm relieved that there was no fuel dilution to speak of despite winter to summer (early December to late June) driving in the Pacific Northwest (Metro Vancouver) and 20 minute city driving. TBN for the PUP was getting low at 3.2 (VOA for PUP 5W-30 is 8.5). According to Blackstone, extending to 10,000 km is achievable on PUP.

I currently have 5W-20 PP (non-PUP). The VOA for the PP version has a TBN of 7.0. On the PP my car is on currently, however, I believe I should not go beyond 8000 km.

1688597936774.jpg

Last edited:
It's recommended to blur out your personal information. Other than break-in time everything looks reasonable.

With all the chatter re fuel dilution, now I'm trying to figure out exactly what minimizes it and what exacerbates it. Yes the car was driven 90% city, mostly to drive kids around. But I would drive a minimum of 15 mins (even though my kids' school is 6 km away) to get the oil up to operating temps before I head home. Good practice?

Cold weather short trip city driving. lots of cold starts etc. That being said Your fuel here on this report seem well below what is often seen.

Cold weather short trip city driving. lots of cold starts etc. That being said Your fuel here on this report seem well below what is often seen.
I don't know exactly how fuel dilution works. My other guess is that I probably did have fuel dilution from Dec-April. But May-June were quite warm (and my car warmed up quickly) and I drove longer distances on the weekends.

I agree that the K&N isn't helping, but keep in mind there's only 10k miles on the car. It's still breaking in so you can't tell how much of the Si is from the filter and how much is sealers washing out.

Personally, if I were to try a K&N, I'd wait til after 30k miles so I can tell that the silicon on UOAs is coming from air filtration, not new car sealers.

After trying my first K&N over 40 years ago, and seeing the results in vehicles I work on where the owner installed them, I have come to the conclusion that they are dreadful. Ditch that thing, and don't look back. They have their place, but on a DD street car is not one of them.

Does this turbo motor allow for 5/10w30 as with other Kia/Hyundai models? I always ran Xw30 in my 3 Kia/Hyundai cars. I would prefer it, if the manual still allowed on this 23 model. However I would not go against the owners manual during the warrantly period.

As others have noted, Si is high, but you make a good point that it's hard to tell the difference at this mileage on the K&N vs build sealers washing out. However, if the trend continues, get rid of the K&N. I will admit that I am personally biased against them like others on this forum.

Does this turbo motor allow for 5/10w30 as with other Kia/Hyundai models? I always ran Xw30 in my 3 Kia/Hyundai cars. I would prefer it, if the manual still allowed on this 23 model. However I would not go against the owners manual during the warrantly period.

As others have noted, Si is high, but you make a good point that it's hard to tell the difference at this mileage on the K&N vs build sealers washing out. However, if the trend continues, get rid of the K&N. I will admit that I am personally biased against them like others on this forum.
Mine specifically calls for a 0W-20 viscosity (1.6T). Funny though that my manual specifically recommends Shell Helix. I have no idea what differentiates Helix from PUP or even PP 0w-20. On that matter, it's odd that PP 0W-20 is dexos 1 gen 3 certified but the PUP equivalent isn't.

That said, my car is currently on PP 5w-20.

1688751967430.jpg

I hear y'all re air filter. I'll give it the current oil interval and then I'll make a decision when time to replace.

I recently removed my “high flow” panel filter as well; on my weekend car that sees 2000 perfect road miles a year it’s not a concern, but doing 15k in my DD and sometimes being on dusty dirty roads especially navigating to MTB trailheads, I didn’t feel like the extra little turbo noise was worth all the risk. I know it’s not completely accurate in the real world, but Project Farm did a video where he compared various filters using the same process and the amount of particulates the K&N let through compared to even the worst paper filter was astounding.

On the oil, if it calls for 0w-20, run 0w-20. The people here parroting the thicker is better argument, are not smarter than the people who designed your car or the oil it uses

I recently removed my “high flow” panel filter as well; on my weekend car that sees 2000 perfect road miles a year it’s not a concern, but doing 15k in my DD and sometimes being on dusty dirty roads especially navigating to MTB trailheads, I didn’t feel like the extra little turbo noise was worth all the risk. I know it’s not completely accurate in the real world, but Project Farm did a video where he compared various filters using the same process and the amount of particulates the K&N let through compared to even the worst paper filter was astounding.

On the oil, if it calls for 0w-20, run 0w-20. The people here parroting the thicker is better argument, are not smarter than the people who designed your car or the oil it uses
Lol he dumped flour onto the filters, equivalent of driving through a dust storm in Saudi Arabia. Very scientific...

Looks good. Your high Si is likely new engine and not the K&N. So many UOAs with low Si and K&N. Post a non-K&N UOA with the same SI...BITOG says normal. It's a funny place I tell you...

Lol he dumped flour onto the filters, equivalent of driving through a dust storm in Saudi Arabia. Very scientific...
Whether it’s driving through a flour factory, an Arabian dust storm, or down a dusty gravel road, the K&N is going to let through 10x+ more contaminants than a paper filter.

The fact that I could hold mine up to a dim lightbulb and practically see through it like a fishing net was also too much for my comfort, oiled or not

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I have a K&N air filter installed.

There's wear metals it seems as it's a new engine. But overall I'm relieved that there was no fuel dilution to speak of despite winter to summer (early December to late June) driving in the Pacific Northwest (Metro Vancouver) and 20 minute city driving. TBN for the PUP was getting low at 3.2 (VOA for PUP 5W-30 is 8.5). According to Blackstone, extending to 10,000 km is achievable on PUP.

I currently have 5W-20 PP (non-PUP).
Isn't 0w30 synthetic the only recommendation inside the Owners Manual for these 2023 turbo engines?

What would you have done differently? Care to contribute?
Well I wouldn’t dump flour onto a filter, for starters.

I trust the K&n filter for my daily needs. Any straggling debris that somehow escapes the oil net, and enters the chamber is instantly incinerated in the combustion process, a non issue in my opinion.

Well I wouldn’t dump flour onto a filter, for starters.

I trust the K&n filter for my daily needs. Any straggling debris that somehow escapes the oil net, and enters the chamber is instantly incinerated in the combustion process, a non issue in my opinion.
It's fine. Run them for years in multiple vehicles some over 200K. BITOG paranoia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back