Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN 1,001mi 06 Mariner Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: My 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid that has been converted to use a dual remote bypass filter.
Date of oil being placed into service: November 3rd 2012
Odometer at time of oil change: 50,757
Oil used: 6.5 quarts Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN/GF-5 full synthetic.
Filter: Amsoil EaO15 and EaBP90
Top Up: none
Air filter: Performax PA-502
Date of sample: December 5th 2012
Miles on oil: 1,001
Miles on vehicle at time of sample: 51,758
Oil Analysis Lab: ALS Tribology, Georgia branch, using a NAPA FIL 4077 sample kit.
Previous oil used: 4.5 quarts Red Line 0w-20
Current oil: Oil was not changes, just sampled.

2006%20Mercury%20Mariner%20Hybrid%20-%20Pennzoil%20Ultra%205w-20%20SN%20GF-5%20-%201001%20miles.png

A VOA for this oil can be found here

This is just a preliminary sample to see how much the TBN and viscosity dropped after the first 1,000 miles so I can compare them to future reports.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Why did you take the early sample??

I had intended to do one right after my initial 50 mile leak test of the bypass system so I would have a baseline to compare all future VOA's on this fill of oil to. I had to make an emergency trip the day I installed it, which killed that plan, so I decided to do one at 1,000 instead.

The oil is Ultra despite what that says. They may not have Ultra in their system yet, but I did write Ultra on the paperwork.

I think the copper might be from the Fumoto valve, which I installed at the same time as the bypass filter. No oil had been through the valve prior to the sample being taken.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Interesting test. Silicon seems high for 1K. Especially with a bypass filter.

Yeah. Not thrilled by it, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Red Line puts some silicon in their oils, so I am sure that some of it is from the residuals of that, and some may potentially be from dirt ingress into the parts before assembly of the bypass system.

I would love to use a better air filter, but my options are very limited with this vehicle. If there was an Amsoil filter available, I would already be using it.

looking good!

yeah the only thing that raised an eyebrow was silicon. Do you live in a rural area/use gravel/dirt roads?

I do and the only time any of my UOA's have read under 10ppm silicon was on a tractor. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back