2023 Hyundai Kona N-Line 1.6T 5W-20 PUP 7,969 km OCI (18,229 km Odo)

The ULTRA should help with timing chain wear . Less soot .
Funny thing is that PP "the lower tier" is carries the dexos 1 gen 3 label (which specifically addresses preignition and timing chain wear), the higher tier PUP OTOH does not carry the label (although probably passes nonetheless as noted above, but we'll never know for sure).

AJW001
Why are you running 'inferior' 5w20 in that 23' Kona 1.6 turbo?
One of the best oils out there today is your brand name. There are tons of rave reviews on the superior 0w20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

0w20s are built better than 5w20s and if I were you, I'd run 0w30 in that turbo 1.6.
Let me add 0w30s are overall built better than 5w30s. If the HyunKia manufacturer have suddenly dropped their 0w30 recommendations of 2021 and 2022, it's mainly because of buyers complaining that 0w30 of their choice was hard to find on store shelves.

It is not because 5w30 suddenly became a better built oil than 0w30. And very-very few here at BITOG will say 5w20s are built better than 0w20s. Make the switch and your engine will thank you someday.
Not sure I'm quite understanding what would lead you to believe 0W-20 (or 0W-30) is superior to 5W-20 (other than I switched from PUP to PP in my current run).

Hyundai specs 0W-20 for my vehicle.

My oil history so far is:
-0W-20 PUP (non dexos 1 gen 3);
-5W-20 PUP (non dexos 1 gen 3);
-0W-20 PP (current) (dexos 1 gen 3).

I used 5w-20 over the summer to deal with the ambient heat (while maintaining a 20 wt at operating temps).

I switched to PP because it was cheaper and carries the Dexos 1 gen 3 label (PUP does not). I don't think it really means anything in the end either way if I'm doing 8000 km oil changes per my manual and that I have no fuel dilution issues.

Your vehicle , so what makes you secure (y) . Warranty is important . Especially now with the problems of G.D.I..

I'm going to go against the grain here. 2000 additional KM is only 1200 miles. With an 8.2 viscosity and a 4.7 TBN, I think it's fine for 10,000KM, roughly 6200 miles.

FWIW I however also agree with the poster that recommended 0w30. Can get M1 ESP 0w30 on the parts store shelf in my area. It's expensive though, pretty close to $40 for a 5 quart jug. And then there are the inevitable questions about warranty coverage using non-spec oil. Do what makes you most comfortable.

The ULTRA should be fine .

Old , but still applies .

The P.U. is within range of the ZINC and PHOSPHORUS along with the CALCIUM . So , all should be good for L.S.P.I. and catalytic converter . The S.N. Plus below should be similar to S.P..

View attachment 191205

View attachment 191217

View attachment 191224

V.O.A.s , the P.U. is to the far right .

View attachment 191206

View attachment 191207

May want to E-mail PENNZOIL technical and get verification that the ULTRA is GM Dexos1 , Generation 3 and can be used in a D.I. engine for warranty .

Looks like NAPA has ULTRA on sale . 5 quart jug at $34.99 and quarts at $7.69 .

1st post of the ULTRA V.O.A. the BORON at bottom right side is blocked for viewing . It's 186 , a plus .

IMG_2514.JPG

Last edited:
If you look at millions of engine failures with HyunKia engines, do you really want to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on viscosity? ALL HyunKia four cyinder turbo engines should never drop below 30w. There's numerous members here that swear 0w40 is the best oil viscosity for these engines.

This engine would be better served on 0w30 and 4k OCIs.
Disregard if you plan on selling the vehicle before 100k. If so, then pass the future engine failure onto someone else.
Go behind most HyunKia dealerships and you will witness a wall of discarded, failed engine blocks stacked up.

Last edited:
At least PP has a Dexos 1 Gen 3 certification. So maybe I'll stick with PP and forget about PUP? PP (and PUP) are frequently on sale here in Canadian Tire stores.
I think using PP with its its D1 / Gen 3 rating at a 5K mile or less OCI is the best value play play .

Back