HUD's - your take

My 2019 Mazda CX 5 is my first car with an HUD. I really like it. As others have mentioned it is particularly useful when using the Navigation feature. I have the windshield position of mine adjusted down to where it is at the bottom of my line of sight just above the gauge cluster. That way it isn't in my face when driving but a quick glace down gives me all the data I want. It is important to get into the Settings menu when you first buy the car and choose only those features that you deem important, otherwise the display can get too "busy".

So, I've been looking at EV's still and just seeing what everybody is doing. I know this isn't an EV-specific observation but it does apply here.

When I had the e-tron, one of the features I really liked that none of my vehicles had previous had was the HUD. Having the speedometer and speed limit on the windshield was an extremely nice feature and I don't think I'd buy a vehicle without it going forward, I was that pleased with it.

I know FCA has started to roll HUD's out across their product line. The new RAM's have them, I expect the new GC will have it...etc. However, Tesla doesn't have it on any of their products, which I thought really odd, given the location of the screen relative to the driver, you'd think since there's no gauge cluster on the 3 or Y that the logical thing would be to have a HUD to give the driver that information. Apparently not 🤷‍♂️

I believe Mazda has been using them for a while and I know the Corvette has had one for ages, who else has or has had a vehicle with a HUD and what are your thoughts on its impact on your future buying, particularly if that vehicle is an EV?
I didn't care about the one in my 2011 Z06 really, but in my CX5 it's awesome. NAV instructions (lists the street, distance, all sorts of info, not just some arrow) right there, etc. I am a huge fan. Right up there with cooled seats and articulating/adaptive headlights for me as a feature I won't buy without, in the future.

I guess I am one of the few who dislike HUD. I have HUD in one of the Corvettes and in my company 2021 Yukon Denali. Not so bad when I dim it and place it low in my field of vision. The Yukon offers so much information you really can get distracted - but it can be changed to simple MPH only. I keep them off now and do not use them.

For this with Huds - what is the focal plane of the projection far or near?

My progressive lenses work well in that the lower half keeps the dash in focus - is the Hud projected close or at a distance that requires you to refocus?

My progressive lenses work well in that the lower half keeps the dash in focus - is the Hud projected close or at a distance that requires you to refocus?

I don't wear glasses, but it doesn't seem to require any refocusing in the limited experience I have with it in the Audi.

On mine the focus seems to be approximately the front of the car (end of the hood).

On mine the focus seems to be approximately the front of the car (end of the hood).
Yes. In the owner's manual for the Park Avenue (and, I suspect, in the LaCrosse too), GM warned you not to use the HUD for judging distances close to the hood and not to use it to judge parking space. They must have gotten feedback that it *looked* like it's hanging out there at the end of the hood.

Love having a HUD in airplanes. In the F/A-18, it’s the primary instrument.

Everything you need to know in one convenient presentation.

Had a HUD in a rented BMW 5 series a while back. Loved it, too. No need for the instrument cluster. I had everything I needed in the HUD, including GPS directions. It was sweet. Took zero time to adjust to it.

Attachments

• BF188B23-3043-4869-86F5-7A071631BFA5.jpeg
    BF188B23-3043-4869-86F5-7A071631BFA5.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 9
I like the BMW HUD implementation a lot. It’s something that I would like to have on my next car.

My Mercedes has a HUD, I kinda like it, but the drawback is polarized sunglasses won't work too well with it. The polarization tends to just wipe out the display, so I turn up the intensity to MAX. So, then my sister in law gets in and HATES it! Fortunately there's a button on the dash to turn it off for her.
I can use it as a parking guide in my garage as well. Just line it up with the tennis ball, and in you go! :)

The speed limit sign display is the part that I dislike the most. It reads the signs on the roadside, and if you like, will set the speed accordingly......LIKE IMMEDIATELY! The poor guy behind you has no idea what 's going on. Especially when you're driving 35 and it reads a 15 TON weight limit sign as a speed limit. Sorry man.:mad:

Glad I passed on the GXP as transmissions weren't able to handle the torque and had to be replaced.
That's kinda odd, I thought the GXP was powered by the Northstar, which in my experience had plenty of power, but was a bit low on torque.
But for a car that would pull 1G in a curve, not so sure that you made the right decision.

Don't have it in my mazda, but I don't care for it. Hopefully in future vehicles It will have the option to be turned off.

Our sedan has an excellent HUD that is configurable, in color, and could definitely replace the instrument panel. It is excellent, and I miss it when I drive other vehicles. And you can turn it off, move it around a bit, change the brightness and more.

Just another unnecessary thing to drive up cost and complexity. Is it reliable? I don’t know. Maybe?

Less light in my eyes at night is better, IMO. Ideally I think I’d have no information or lighting at night on dark roads. I liked the night mode setting that my Saab offered. I like that I can turn off all screens in our Hondas.

I had it on a 5er wagon I drove through Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic. It was ok. It was nice actually, but necessary? Meh.

In an asset that depreciates as much as a car, excessive fancy items that cost an arm and a leg aren’t desirable, IMO.

Last edited:
My next BMW will absolutely have one. When the wheel is at a comfortable height I can't see the top half of the speedo and it blocks the indicators. (And since I went to too many rock concerts and have tinnitus I can't hear the soft click.)

Just another unnecessary thing to drive up cost and complexity. Is it reliable? I don’t know. Maybe?

Less light in my eyes at night is better, IMO. Ideally I think I’d have no information or lighting at night on dark roads. I liked the night mode setting that my Saab offered. I like that I can turn off all screens in our Hondas.

I had it on a 5er wagon I drove through Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic. It was ok. It was nice actually, but necessary? Meh.

In an asset that depreciates as much as a car, excessive fancy items that cost an arm and a leg aren’t desirable, IMO.

Im with you on the light pollution. I like like real dim cockpit especially driving out in the county where I live with no street lights.

On accessories I see it both ways. A good old plain car is a joy - nothing wrong with that at all.

I tend to hold onto things a long time and having a higher end version allows me to enjoy it a bit longer - one thing I always get is a sunroof. Every vehicle I have has one and I use them all the time. Every vehicle has a map, and either AWD, or 4wd. Every one is white - I live where it gets and stays HOT and dark surface temps burn. Everything has a trailer hitch on it and has towed it limit at one timer another or followed one another offroad. I usually ask if I can get the black edition - in white.

One more observation- a good HUD configuration allows the driver to decide what information is displayed.

Last edited:
I like the HUD in my 2019 Camry XSE. I would like slightly more adjustability in the bright/dim settings and you can't see it with sunglasses on.
If you don't like it, it can be turned off.

I can do with or without it. When I do use HUD I keep it low and dim so it's viewable but not distracting me.

Back