HUD's - your take

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, I've been looking at EV's still and just seeing what everybody is doing. I know this isn't an EV-specific observation but it does apply here.

When I had the e-tron, one of the features I really liked that none of my vehicles had previous had was the HUD. Having the speedometer and speed limit on the windshield was an extremely nice feature and I don't think I'd buy a vehicle without it going forward, I was that pleased with it.

I know FCA has started to roll HUD's out across their product line. The new RAM's have them, I expect the new GC will have it...etc. However, Tesla doesn't have it on any of their products, which I thought really odd, given the location of the screen relative to the driver, you'd think since there's no gauge cluster on the 3 or Y that the logical thing would be to have a HUD to give the driver that information. Apparently not 🤷‍♂️

I believe Mazda has been using them for a while and I know the Corvette has had one for ages, who else has or has had a vehicle with a HUD and what are your thoughts on its impact on your future buying, particularly if that vehicle is an EV?

I have no problem with a car with or without HUD. What I do find annoying is the large font digital speedometer digits changing all the time if you are not using cruise, such as on secondary roads with speeds lower than highway velocities, this is distracting to my mind.

Reactions: JC1
i've only driven a vehicle with one once*, it took a little getting used to, but overall, i wish they were more common...

*my uncle used to have a Bonneville SSei (supercharged 3800) with the HUD.
I got to drive it in Grandma's funeral procession, since he was in the "Family Limo" from the Funeral Home 11mi to the Grave Site.

Love the HUD in my Corvette and my wife’s Yukon. When I drive my truck I look for it out of habit and wish I had it. When I first got a vehicle with HUD it was distracting up on the windshield for the first 20 minutes or so then I got used to it and wish it were in all my vehicles. I like that you can toggle the info, radio station, compass, speed limit as well as Gs and some other views in the Corvette. I haven’t driven a new body style Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade but the HUD is now larger with more colors, if that matters.

It seems like this would be a pretty easy aftermarket add-on using some kind of CANbus adapter and a small device on the dash.

[edit] it does exist apparently, but I would say it's definitely not caught on.

We are getting a new Lexus RX450h with heads up display. Pretty cool.
One thing I really miss on the Tesla is the lack of orange blind spot indicators on the side mirrors.
Once you have them, you are sold. Tesla displays blind spots on the infotainment display.

I plan on writing Elon a nasty letter on this...

With cars going to autonomous driving such as Tesla and others with radar cruise control, I don’t see the need for HUD. You set the maximum speed you want and the car does the rest. The speed at that point is irrelevant because you aren’t going to get a speeding ticket since you know your top speed.

So, I've been looking at EV's still and just seeing what everybody is doing. I know this isn't an EV-specific observation but it does apply here.

When I had the e-tron, one of the features I really liked that none of my vehicles had previous had was the HUD. Having the speedometer and speed limit on the windshield was an extremely nice feature and I don't think I'd buy a vehicle without it going forward, I was that pleased with it.

I know FCA has started to roll HUD's out across their product line. The new RAM's have them, I expect the new GC will have it...etc. However, Tesla doesn't have it on any of their products, which I thought really odd, given the location of the screen relative to the driver, you'd think since there's no gauge cluster on the 3 or Y that the logical thing would be to have a HUD to give the driver that information. Apparently not 🤷‍♂️

I believe Mazda has been using them for a while and I know the Corvette has had one for ages, who else has or has had a vehicle with a HUD and what are your thoughts on its impact on your future buying, particularly if that vehicle is an EV?
I was exposed to HUD when testing an 06 Pontiac GXP. Great feature but I spent 5K more on a GTO. I know apples and oranges but power and right wheel drive won out. Glad I passed on the GXP as transmissions weren't able to handle the torque and had to be replaced.

I absolutely love the HUD on my 17 CX5. The key is how much info can be displayed. I keep mine simple but when I do turn by turn navigation the HUD really shines. Also, blind spot is a winner as well as speed.

We are getting a new Lexus RX450h with heads up display. Pretty cool.
One thing I really miss on the Tesla is the lack of orange blind spot indicators on the side mirrors.
Once you have them, you are sold. Tesla displays blind spots on the infotainment display.

I plan on writing Elon a nasty letter on this...

I have those on the Mazda but I actually use the blind spot indicators in the HUD. To me that is the best place for them.

Never had one but they fascinate me. Surprised Tesla doesn’t have one, I think everything being in the center screen would drive me nuts... at least it did in the little Saturn thing I had to drive back in drivers ed that had all the gauges in the middle of the dash.

Lady at the office has an Escalade with HUD … but the digital rear view and camera shots and graphics from so many other angles is amazing … no blind spots … not that it would let you hit anything to start with 👀

Now, when a Camaro is wired like that ? game changer

My Park Avenue had that. It was like a little green ghost riding out ahead of me at night. The Regal didn't, but the LaCrosse does. I set it to display the mph and rpm, since I usually have the trip odometer or the oil life displayed on the central gauge. (Three separate ways to display mph -- HUD, digital speedometer, and the traditional needle on the gauge, and you can have them simultaneously if you want. "What a country --!")

Back