HPL Premium Plus 0w20, 4000 miles, 2020 Honda Accord 2.0T

Thanks. Interesting, as my K24W shows the same level of fuel dilution despite no turbocharging.
Clean the PCV valve? I pull it out every so often with MAF cleaner and spray it off. Since about 180,000 I use one bottle of Motor Oil Saver every 40,000 miles as I'm sure those smaller seals around valve stems are slightly worn. When I talked to Stefan about that he was excited to hear as that how it was designed to work; prophylactically. I've also tried to keep the throttle body clean and have used a little over 4 oz of the gumout multi-tune into the crankcase about every time before an oil change. Seems there is a happy medium, not too fast and not too slow driving.

Attachments

• 20230131_172119.jpg
    20230131_172119.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 11
Clean the PCV valve? I pull it out every so often with MAF cleaner and spray it off. Since about 180,000 I use one bottle of Motor Oil Saver every 40,000 miles as I'm sure those smaller seals around valve stems are slightly worn. When I talked to Stefan about that he was excited to hear as that how it was designed to work; prophylactically. I've also tried to keep the throttle body clean and have used a little over 4 oz of the gumout multi-tune into the crankcase about every time before an oil change. Seems there is a happy medium, not too fast and not too slow driving.

Yeah, I’ve replaced the PCV valve, too. No change for me. I think this is just the result of the engineering compromises Honda made. OTOH, at 80k for me and lots more for you, it doesn’t seem to be harmful.

Yeah I gave up replacing PCV valves long time ago. The older Honda's you could just pull it off and dunk it in a little mineral spirits and shake it out a little bit and if it rattled it was good enough to go back in. I did notice that if you use this synthetic they always seemed to either be not clogged or a lot less clogged. The price they want for an oem PCV valve now gets me to where I just use a very non-aggressive cleaner to knock off the excess. I was going to get an aftermarket one that's made of steel and it comes with a hose that you install down below on the back side which is where you run your catch can. I haven't gotten motivated enough yet to think about it anymore.

Toyota's system has been dual injection for many, MANY years, like 2008? Ford recently followed suit and has gone the same way. BMW doesn't seem to have dilution issues, despite not having a hybrid dual injection system.
BMW also uses heavy oil viscosity compared to Honda. I also read a study showing higher viscosity oil reduce fuel dilution. might be worth trying a heavier weight oil.

Just for comparison sake I checked back on my UOAs from when I owned my 2020 2.0T Accord. In my case it was not tuned, but my work commute was about 100 miles as well. It saw a significant amount of highway miles. Each of the 3 UOAs done were about 5000 OCI and I never saw significant fuel dilution. Granted they were Blackstone UOA reports, but the oil always remained within viscosity spec.

Back