HPL Oil Concerns

And you clearly let your “love and affinity” for HPL cloud your judgement.
Hardly, just calling a spade a spade, you've been whittling at some snark for a while now.
I’ve never once said anything negative about HPL in any thread. I’ve agreed with others about it not being an oil for everyone.
Dude, you literally just called them the "BITOG darling", and implied they were untouchable because the were a site sponsor. You don't think that's saying something negative about them?

And, you completely glossed over the fact that the site in question isn't even their bloody site!

You've also said wonderfully snarky things previously in this very thread, like:
May I ask what oil brands you used before HPL came along that you trusted enough to use them even though they didn’t have open houses and what not?

Perhaps I'm judging you a bit harshly, but given this thread is predicated on criticisms of a site that isn't even that of the company in question, and you are bouncing along for the ride, it felt justified.
I think maybe you busted prematurely. Makes my statement about anything remotely negative about them and everyone coming to their defense a little more plausible eh? Prime example above.
So, you think pointing out that the site being criticized in the OP doesn't in fact belong to the company being questioned on the implications of that site's construction, and people, like yourself, lobbing gems like:
Boy, let anyone say anything that resembles a possible negative statement about site sponsor and BITOG darling HPL and watch out, they come out in force to defend them
In support of these criticisms, not bothering to do your own legwork to validate the claims before jumping on the bandwagon, is overreacting?

He didn’t dismiss their technical capacity. He is actually praising them in the OP. Again, it “appears” you are letting your affinity, like, love, …whatever word you wish to insert here cloud your judgement just because he made a comment that you automatically take as an insult to HPL
Guy, let's back this up a bit here, you keep missing the point by a country mile.

He's making these observations about a site THAT IS NOT THEIR SITE.

Here is the OP, in case you don't want to go back and re-read it:
I appreciate that HPL has made a genuine effort to improve chemistry, PAO, esters and so on. That said, I wonder if they have missed any key elements. Their packaging is rudimentary, their website is overblown, clunky and riddled with misspellings. Over and above all that, they don't seem to have any real approvals for their products from the auto manufacturers. Thoughts???

Literally, one of the foundational criticisms of the OP, used to justify what appears to be an allusion to insufficient/inadequate R&D ("I wonder if they have missed any key elements") is based on a site that isn't that of the company in question. The natural inference from this statement is that perhaps they are sloppy in their operations because they are sloppy with their website. But it's not their website.

The site he was reading is this one:
HPL Oil - Superior Lubricants Made in the USA, located in Hebron, IN

Which belongs to the guy that owns Precision Turbo.

The site for the site sponsor, which I've linked twice now, but nobody seemed inclined to make the effort to validate the claims except me, is this one:
High Performance Lubricants | When Results Matter (hplubricants.com)

Which is owned by Dave, who you've seen interact with people on here, including this very thread. Dave also blends the oils for the other company, under contract, which makes it somewhat confusing, given the similarity in names, but that has been discussed on here many times and it would be hard to have missed that in the many threads that have covered it.

Last edited:
Imho, if you don't have certifications on oil that people are looking for and can rely on, perhaps you can run the tests and advise whether they were passed? Don't need to apply for certs if they are too expensive. If it's an option.
E.g. if oil passed API SP test, just say test required for certification was passed.
All the oils use an approved additive package for the base additive chemistry. The base oil blend may however be wildly different from what would be used with that chemistry typically, and then certain aspects are tweaked, and tested, then tweaked and tested some more until it's "as good as it gets" (within reason). This may mean higher concentrations of certain FM's, or the addition of other FM and AW additives that have proven to be synergistic with those already present (but of course adds to the cost of the final product).

So, for example, the Super Car 0W-40, it uses an additive package that formally passed A40, 229.5, 502...etc. But, it's added to a base oil blend of PAO, esters and AN's, which wouldn't be an officially sanctioned base combination from whomever the additive package supplier is (Lubrizol, Afton, Infineum...etc).

Imho, if you don't have certifications on oil that people are looking for and can rely on, perhaps you can run the tests and advise whether they were passed? Don't need to apply for certs if they are too expensive. If it's an option.
E.g. if oil passed API SP test, just say test required for certification was passed.

That's not how certifications work. Applying for the license is the cheap part. It's ~$5k for the license to use the starburst. The testing is the really expensive part. We're talking about 8 live engine tests with 6 different engines and >1,100 hours of operation. The cost to run these tests is deep into the 6 figures when you consider manpower, cost of the engines, cost to operate the dyno cells, cost of teardown and analysis, etc... The fuel cost, to run all of those live engine tests, is over $100k by itself. It's extremely cost prohibitive. They'd never break even on the cost of the testing in oil sales.

These tests are mostly done by the additive companies like Infineum, Lubrizol, Oronite, etc... They put together additive packages in a base oil blend and send them out to places like SWRI for this testing. If it passes, then that additive package is approved for API SP. The lubricant companies buy those approved add packs and the license to go with them, blend them in the base oil formula per the testing, slap a starburst on the label, and send it out the door. There's little to no wiggle room in the formula. You have to blend the add pack in the base oil and VII used for the approved testing in order to be an approved oil and use the license. If you want to add some additional anti-oxidant to improve oxidation resistance, you can't use the license/starburst since it's now deviated from the approved add pack. If you want to add some ester to improve high temp stability, reduce volatility, and improve cleaning ability, you can't do it and keep the cert. This corners all approved oils into a small box chemistry wise. You either have to accept the indirect ceiling on performance or ditch the cert to make a better product. HPL chooses the later.

HPL purchases the approved add pack as well to use as a base. They use better quality base oils and VIIs with additional additive top treatment to make their oil, then test it in lab, adjust it, test again, adjust, test again, and so on... until they find the performance spec they're after. Because the formula has deviated so far from the formula used for testing, even though it's much better than that formula, they can't use the cert. That oil then goes for engine testing but it's fleet engines on the road. They have over 2 billion miles of test data on their oils ranging from engines that idle 8-12 hours a day in 110°F heat (and go WOT when they do move) to diesels cold starting and instantly driving in negative temperatures, and they all go long change intervals. So not only would the live engine tests for API be cost prohibitive, but it would be like giving someone with a Master's in Mathematics a test on basic multiplication tables.

API certs are good for weeding out the deceitful off brand gas station oils selling you line flush as engine oil. Beyond that, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Hmmm. What about Redline? They’ve been around, don’t have mfg approvals, I haven’t seen any articles relating to engine failures especially within the racing community. I only use redline ATF and Gear lubes, never a failure. Amsoil I’ve never cared for bc 1, I feel like they’re a marketing gimmick especially if you call and ask particular questions regarding base stocks. Calll redline tech support will talk to you about specifics.

As far as HPL, I’ve never used any of their products. I have to agree with packaging, miss spellings is bad for business. Kinda like when you go to a restaurant if the bathrooms are dirty, what does the kitchen look like kind of same principal if you have misspellings on your product information are you confident to make the product in which you sell? It’s really a big deal now. As far as packaging goes for some odd reason. You notice when you buy a new iPhone or an android phone always comes in a real nice box real thick cardboard people seem to care about that stuff myself. I save all my boxes just so when I go to sell it, I can put the phone back in the box that it came from and the new buyer to them is almost like getting a new phone because it has a box
(Edited) Great points, and I like the bathroom analogy, if only they were all true. However, the truth is:

The packaging is great*. It’s one of the things I like about HPL.

The misspelling is from a different website!

So, you’re basing your response on errors in other posts, not on any first hand examination.

*Which you would know had you actually bought anything from them.

Last edited:
I haven't confirmed the OP's claims but in my case, if true, multiple grammatical errors on product material and difficult website navigation are off-putting as it shows poor attention to detail. Would this 100% condemn the product as "poor quality?" No.
acting under the assumption the question was posed on a Saturday later in the day
I have a working theory that a combination of college football and alcohol were involved in the thought process that proposed the original question.

or as Ron White once said, I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability. :)

What you say is true, but only to you and those like you. (Not meant to be a taunt; stick with me here and I'll explain. I'm not trying to call you out or otherwise yank your chain.)

If you've not personally been to the HPL facility, taken the tour, met their lab personnel, seen the lab equipment, talked with their managers, seen first hand the commitment to cleanliness ...
Then I'd agree, you'd have to take it on the word of others. You have to "trust" other peoples anecdotal reports and observations.

How is that any different than trusting any of the major oil blenders? How is that any different than trusting the API licensees? I mean ... have you personally gone to any API test sites and watched Mobil1 or a PZ product be certified? Have you looked at the calibration log books of the API lab to see the ISO process validations? Do you check the API EOLCS site each and every time before you bought some oil to make sure that product you seek is still current? Have you been to a Mobil blending facility and seen the cleaning procedures they use to purge the tanks? Have you inspected the bulk containers for contamination prior to filling like HPL does each and every time?

The API does not exist to serve the industry benevolently; they're a business. They charge money to test products. Large multinational companies have plenty of money for the expensive testing. Smaller companies often do not. Even Valvoline and Amsoil don't seek licenses for all their products. Why? I have no idea. Smaller companies such as HPL don't seek API certs for several reasons; cost and applicability being two. People who use the HPL products do "trust" them; many of us because we've been to their facility and understand that an API cert won't improve their product, and may in fact compromise it if it were tailored to meet the API spec. To meet some of the API specs, HPL would essentially have to "dumb down" their lubes; something they're not interested in doing to get a license that means zilch to their niche customer base.

My point is that you "trust" the systems you've been conditioned to accept, yet you've probably not ever been to Mobil or API, right? How is that any different than not being to HPL and trusting them? I understand it's hard to comprehend why HPL costs so much; that is, until you tour their facility and speak with their staff. If you've never been there, it seems like a fairy tale. I understand that some anecdotal UOAs and testimony seems a bit thin, but is that really any different than what your actual experience is with any major brand and the API? You "trust" them based on their claims and certifications, though you've never been to those facilities I suspect. Your faith in them is based not on direct observation, right? You trust the major brands because of the API license, but you've never personally validated the API system, right? Why do you trust the API if you've never personally been there to see their equipment and talk with their personnel?

HPL most certainly conducts plenty of inside testing, and also engages outside 3rd party testing, using ISO accredited processes and equipment. (Just like any other quality lab such as API, SWRI, etc). Some of the HPL tests are typical industry standards such as vis, FP, etc. Other tests are unique to their specific goals and won't align well with typical API license criteria. Some typical tests such as Noack are not done because other less prominent tests actually better quantify the base stocks they use. Again - if you ever toured their facility, you'd be aware of these things. The HPL lab is every bit as good as any other facility in their field. It is accurate to say that no API license exists for the HPL products; I explained that above. It is, however, INACCURATE to say that "no actual controlled test has been done."; that's just a statement based on your ignorance of their operations. HPL does both in-house and 3rd party testing on their products; those tests are specific to the goals they set which often are not the same as mass-market products.

Again, I'm not trying to pick on you as an individual; if it comes off that way then I apologize right here and now. But some of your doubts seem to be based on incomplete or inaccurate understanding of HPL quality and development processes.
When I say controlled tested, I mean approval test like Porsche, MB , VW, etc... So to say ignorance is ridiculous

As I have read on this time an time again, Brand is irrelevant if it has the approvals. But yet you are following blindly based on " trust" and no approval.

And to state a major company like Exon/Mobil would cut corners is laughable. They have deep pockets and millions of users making their libialilty exposure quite large. It is possible they could cut corners but not likely.

Show me a manufacturer approval for HPL which was my point.

My point it which has been missed HPL may be a good oil, but so are many others that get discounted because the use terms like " suitable for", recommended for. Etc.

The post was not to knock HPL but to point out the hypocrisy of some members who have become appear to have become sycophants and for some reason have abandoned their mantra of approvals matters because they "visited the faculty", " Know of or met Dr. Rudnick', " knows the owner personally", etc. While this may all be true and oil could be better than unicorn tears. It still does not mean the oil has any approvals which is I thought was Paramount to these same members in evaluation any oil.

Hardly, just calling a spade a spade, you've been whittling at some snark for a while now.

Dude, you literally just called them the "BITOG darling", and implied they were untouchable because the were a site sponsor. You don't think that's saying something negative about them?

And, you completely glossed over the fact that the site in question isn't even their bloody site!

You've also said wonderfully snarky things previously in this very thread, like:

Perhaps I'm judging you a bit harshly, but given this thread is predicated on criticisms of a site that isn't even that of the company in question, and you are bouncing along for the ride, it felt justified.

So, you think pointing out that the site being criticized in the OP doesn't in fact belong to the company being questioned on the implications of that site's construction, and people, like yourself, lobbing gems like:

In support of these criticisms, not bothering to do your own legwork to validate the claims before jumping on the bandwagon, is overreacting?
You are correct. Although I do believe you are judging me a little harsh as you say. My apologies. Lesson learned

It happens. The fact your pride didn't get in the way of a sincere apology is refreshing. I'm sure HPL appreciates it too.
Yes, and it takes a man to apologize for a mistake and then move on. I'd take this thread down, or at the very least lock it. The apology ended it! JMO.

When I say controlled tested, I mean approval test like Porsche, MB , VW, etc... So to say ignorance is ridiculous

As I have read on this time an time again, Brand is irrelevant if it has the approvals. But yet you are following blindly based on " trust" and no approval.

And to state a major company like Exon/Mobil would cut corners is laughable. They have deep pockets and millions of users making their libialilty exposure quite large. It is possible they could cut corners but not likely.

My point it which has been missed HPL may be a good oil, but so are many others that get discounted because the use terms like " suitable for", recommended for. Etc.

The post was not to knock HPL but to point out the hypocrisy of some members who have become appear to have become sycophants and for some reason have abandoned their mantra of approvals matters because they "visited the faculty", " Know of or met Dr. Rudnick', " knows the owner personally", etc. While this may all be true and oil could be better than unicorn tears. It still does not mean the oil has any approvals which is I thought was Paramount to these same members in evaluation any oil.
You think EM hasn't cut corners? They are like any other company. Saving every dime. Tell me their base oil is the same as it was a few years ago, in that meaning the amount of PAO Vs Todays version.

Show me one for Amsoil, yet is has been used my millions and lauded for its quality.

And no, I haven't toured the plant, met the Doc, or know the owner.

I know I've explained this before, but I'm OK with the concept of a company taking an approved additive package (which both HPL and AMSOIL do) and then using that with a superior base oil blend and performing some (expensive) top treatment to improve certain aspects of the product.

Fundamentally, the AW chemistry present did indeed go through the testing in question, and there is direct and considerable knowledge of the constituents and base oils, and there is testing involved, so it's not similar to just using an additive to increase the quantity of a certain component.

As you know, I'm a big fan of the A3/B4 LL-01, A40, 229.5, 502/505...etc additive package and oils like M1 FS 0W-40 that carry those approvals. It's a robust suite of approvals from a variety of euro manufacturers with a focus solely on performance, since there aren't any limits on phosphorous or other constituents. Personally, I'm quite comfortable with that same additive package being blended with PAO, AN's and esters, with some additional attention given to FM performance (not part of the approvals) by one of the foremost authorities on tribology and who was behind the development of that very base oil blend. Others may not be, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But, I think it's important to note that the approach HPL has taken here is quite different from that of Redline for example, who, historically, used what appeared to be the same additive package in all the white bottle oils (Euro, PCMO, HDEO...etc), which was a racing-style chemistry with no approvals out the gate. That doesn't make it a bad product, but it does make their approach considerably different.

AMSOIL produces many actual approved products, and their approach to chemistry in their SS lineup is much more like HPL's. They've embraced Group III and GTL in their premium products however, without coming right out and saying it (and, even per Dave, Group III is not a bad choice and may even be advantageous to blend with vs PAO in some respects, depending on the grade), while HPL is very transparent on their base oil blend composition for their different product lines.

I also appreciate the lack of outrageous claims. No "this oil contains friction eliminator 9000! this isn't your grandma's chemistry, we don't just reduce wear, we ELIMINATE IT! We free those horses, STUD HORSES! SO MANY HORSES!!! BRAHHHHHHHH!!!!"

This was a good discussion. It is good to have cause to reevaluate accepted norms once in a while.

Not to throw shade, but to OP, it’s Hondas, not Honda’s. I hadn’t seen anyone point that out yet. If someone already had, I apologize.

Last edited:
Back