HPL Euro 0w20: run it in a BMW B48, or in 2014 Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I have no hesitation.

David replied because BITOG is one of the larger target audiences for HPL products, and that's just plain smart marketing to do so.

When the OP says..."I have asked HPL three times over the past few weeks"... and he has to ask an outside source for their feedback, I am not impressed with HPL customer service.

Ed

Really, before you make another post bashing HPL, realize that I have called them and they have either answered the phone or called me back. When I have PMed them they have responded on here. It was some computer glitch so let it go. Now the OP knows how to contact them.

I have talked with the people at HPL, and they really schooled me on oil. What I am saying is that everything I threw out they threw it back right at me. These guys know there stuff, meaning HPL.

HPL is a small company, relative to the massive companies in the oil marketing industry. I think it's perfectly understandable that a few emails got caught in the spam folder; that happens to all of us. This experience being discussed wasn't a matter of HPL not caring about a customer; it was simply an IT problem which is very common. Once aware of the issue, HPL immediately took action and reached out to help. IMO, while it may have been a bit frustrating at first, the end result was a positive one.

The alternative is that one could buy a mass-corporate amalgamation of some committee-derived lube, and then when you have a question about the product, call their tech line and talk to some moron who only knows how to regurgitate the boiler-plate prescribed text on the screen in front of them, which itself is only more corporate garbage from their highly-paid marketing team, leaving you with the same questions you began with.

I'll take the former over the later.

I will say from having an oil custom blended for me (the Overkill 0W-20) to having the owner of the company patiently answer the insane number of questions I've posed to him, as well as them being insanely transparent about their formulations and base oil selections, the attempt at a "knock" being made for a simple mail filtering issue is beyond the pale.

Not even oil companies, try to get this level of customer service from ANY company, you'd be hard pressed. Their customer service is truly unrivalled; you won't find better.

Dave has answered questions from me, and has even suggested i'm spending too much on one of his products, that i would save money in my climate with a different oil.

I've said it before, but having seen the facility, and having spoken with the staff, i'm going all HPL after i use up whats in my cabinet. I have HPL in my truck now. Probably buy some 10w20 to use in my mazda this spring.

Seriously, a customer service problem with High Performance Lubricants ? LOL.

OP is ultimately gracious. There are several ways to initiate communication with HPL, should the first method not succeed.

BTW, what really matters ? Quality of product. Maybe Return on Investment.

Well, after 150,000 miles of use, I am convinced that this is some of the best stuff made.

Re ROI, what is undersold is the extended oil change interval capabilities. So, if that is appropriate for the individual motorist, divide the cost by one half or two thirds, and how.

If there ever was a male version of Karen-ING that "wants to speak to the manager", I highly suggest EDDY-ing.

If there ever was a male version of Karen-ING that "wants to speak to the manager", I highly suggest EDDY-ing.

OP is ultimately gracious. There are several ways to initiate communication with HPL, should the first method not succeed.

Well, after 150,000 miles of use, I am convinced that this is some of the best stuff made.

Re ROI, what is undersold is the extended oil change interval capabilities. So, if that is appropriate for the individual motorist, divide the cost by one half or two thirds, and how.
Agreed, there are lots of long drain options though.

Well, I am convinced that this is some of the best stuff made.

What is undersold is the extended oil change interval capabilities. So, if that is appropriate for the individual motorist, divide the cost by one half or one third, and how
Agreed, there are lots of long drain options though.
High Performance Lubricants oils are showing particularly outstanding TBN retention.

One word of caution to this group and something I'm starting to see here - folks can not like HPL...it's ok. I have HPL oil in my car and Dave left me a VW last night about some UOA data - I am impressed with them/their oil. However, I don't need to tell someone that had a customer service issue that they need to not be ticked off - simple email server issue but still, an issue. Be careful....I've seen this same mob mentality in other communities where someone that uses the popular XYZ has a bad experience and everyone jumps on them. It's cool....move on. This includes staff members.

As i said before, the US/Canada are incredibly lucky to have a company like HPL to cover their lubricant needs. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the whisky world, but Hpl is like the "compass box" of the lube industry. They are pretty open about what they put inside the jug/bottle, and obviously they know how to do it properly. You want to try the whole range just for the sake of experimenting, because you know the product will always deliver for the intended application. :ROFLMAO:

One word of caution to this group and something I'm starting to see here - folks can not like HPL...it's ok. I have HPL oil in my car and Dave left me a VW last night about some UOA data - I am impressed with them/their oil. However, I don't need to tell someone that had a customer service issue that they need to not be ticked off - simple email server issue but still, an issue. Be careful....I've seen this same mob mentality in other communities where someone that uses the popular XYZ has a bad experience and everyone jumps on them. It's cool....move on. This includes staff members.
No one is brigading. It's always about the truth about motor oil.

What we have here is an overwhelmingly positive response in support of HPL.

OPs "issue" could have been remedied by following up his FIRST e-mail with a voicemail.
"Overwhelmingly positive response in support of HPL" is starting to sound like the begining of "you can't not like HPL b/c we all love HPL". Yes, he should have just called when his email went unanswered. He pointed out an issue with HPL's email routing/junk bin system which will likely now be sorted out.

"Overwhelmingly positive response in support of HPL" is starting to sound like the begining of "you can't not like HPL b/c we all love HPL". Yes, he should have just called when his email went unanswered. He pointed out an issue with HPL's email routing/junk bin system which will likely now be sorted out.
My guess is that had you been able to attend the open house, you would be part of the crowd.

The superficiality comes courtesy of the lone critic, not the populists.

Note that this criticism isn't being levied towards the OP, who had their issue resolved, it is with somebody who has not dealt with the company but took a shot at them.

My guess is that had you been able to attend the open house, you would be part of the crowd.

The superficiality comes courtesy of the lone critic, not the populists.
I am currently using HPL and have been all year as well as speaking with Dave on a custom formula - I'd say that I'm "part of the crowd" but don't need to go all the way to where this is to be in it. "Just give him a call, sounds like an email issue, also understand if this pissed you off/you don't want to deal with it b/c it's 2022 where calling isn't required much anymore." is how I would have dealt with it.

I am currently using HPL and have been all year as well as speaking with Dave on a custom formula - I'd say that I'm "part of the crowd" but don't need to go all the way to where this is to be in it. "Just give him a call, sounds like an email issue, also understand if this pissed you off/you don't want to deal with it b/c it's 2022 where calling isn't required much anymore." is how I would have dealt with it.
Nobody was taking issue with the OP and his complaint. His question is answered.

His complaint turned out to be a simple spam filter problem, he got a response here, Dave’s personal cell phone, an answer, and HPL fixed the spam filter problem.

The issue taken was the unfair bashing of HPL. The claim that HPL had poor customer service. That’s the point of contention.

That poster said they would buy another oil and never look back. Sure, it’s his choice to buy whatever, and for whatever reason, but the response of HPL in this thread, as well as with everyone here who has dealt with them directly, proves that poster wrong.

Last edited:
Nobody was taking issue with the OP and his complaint. His question is answered.

His complaint turned out to be a simple spam filter problem, he got a response here, Dave’s personal cell phone, an answer, and HPL fixed the spam filter problem.

The issue taken was the unfair bashing of HPL. The claim that HPL had poor customer service. That’s the point of contention.

That poster said they would buy another oil and never look back. Sure, it’s his choice to buy whatever, and for whatever reason, but the response of HPL in this thread, as well as with everyone here who has dealt with them directly, proves that poster wrong.
"Bad" customer service is in the eye of the beholder, not the group here/anyone else's experience. He didn't recieve a response therefore, he thought that was bad CS. Easy to understand to me...I would have called and not taken issue with it but this isn't about me, it's about his experience and the group think here/"feel" was that of "don't worry about it/not a big deal/you should have called/etc."...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back