HP difference....

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....between a Fram filter and having none is 0.

I dynoed my 02 Z28 yesterday, with and without filter and saw no difference whatsoever.
Both runs showed 300hp and 316lbs/ft to the wheels on a stock car.
The dyno dude said that a K&N would have shown better results becase it straightens the air. Too bad I didn't take my Kool Blue filter. We'll see next time.
Rick

The limiting factor on airflow is most likely not the air filter. Other factors such as the diameter of the mass air flow meter or the diameter and/or smoothness of the air tubes can affect flow. Whatever restriction holds back the air has to be dealt with. Just having good flow at the air filter is not good enough.

Dan

ANY air filter will 'straighten' the air..not just a K&N. It's a by product of filtration..

BTW: Nice car!

[ August 05, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Virtuoso ]

Thanks Virtuoso!
When I put my exhaust and go again, I will take the Kool Blue and see if anything happens.
Rick

if u took out ur filter i think there should be some gain right? did u take out your filter then close the box up? or did u leave it open...if u close the box i doubt you will get any gains..but leaving the box open would...

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
if u took out ur filter i think there should be some gain right? did u take out your filter then close the box up? or did u leave it open...if u close the box i doubt you will get any gains..but leaving the box open would...

Yes, I took the filter out and closed the box.....the botton air box on my car is open, so there would be no loss between opened and closed. The fact is, when it comes to paper filters against no filter with either opened or closed box, there is no HP difference at all......at least on a stock/near stock car.

BTW, here are the Dyno sheets
Rick

[ August 06, 2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

cool. thats interesting that paper doesnt decrease flow for you, i always thought it would, maybe its just in your case.

i wonder when i run my car at the track i should take out my intake system to get the best time possible. i wonder whats the damage of running without an air filter for a minute..shouldnt be much you think?

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
i have 2.

1991 accord SOHC 2.2l 4 cyl

1986 300zx nissan 3.0L v6

Is the 300ZX a turbo motor? If not, just go with a quality paper for both cars. There would be no difference. If the Z is a turbo and you are curious, remove the filter and clean the lower box thoroughly, so no dirt/leaves gets sucked in....and then run the car. I would do this at the track, so you get a better picture.
Rick

the 300zx is non turbo. hehe ill use paper anyways. the only thing i did was remove the extention line from the intake to the engine that is "supposed" to get cold air...its just sucking hot air from back in the engine...i removed it and re-routed the line with some cheap duct and down into the lower end of the car.

better throttle response and a boost...but shifting first to second is a PAIN...hehe

thanks..ill concider your tips =)

At some of the "dyno days" in Houston at MTI, we have switched between new Frams and K&N's and saw no difference. This was on some LS1 Z28's and Trans Ams. Also, I have seen people lose 10 horsepower using one of those Tornado thingies.
smile.gif

Les

i wonder why there is no difference between fram and k & n. i guess it may only implement torque somehow.

tornado...gosh..

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
At some of the "dyno days" in Houston at MTI, we have switched between new Frams and K&N's and saw no difference. This was on some LS1 Z28's and Trans Ams. Also, I have seen people lose 10 horsepower using one of those Tornado thingies.
smile.gif

Les

Cool! I was going to test this theory next time around since I tested Fram vs no filter.....you saved me a dyno run.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back