Recent Oil Filter Buying Experience

Hey BITOG,

I wanted to share with you all my recent (happened yesterday) oil filter buying experience. I am sharing this detail with all of you in the case any of you have had something similar happen (not just with oil or oil filters) but with any auto parts or supplies. Yes, I have read some recent posts about Rock Auto experiences that were less than optimal, but my point is that I am starting to see a trend of the "ready to buy and finding stock of the item" starting to change from the norm that all of us are use to.

Yesterday I was in WM buying several items. I went back to the auto dept to pick up qty 2 oil filters for my Sonic, and Encore (both take the same filter part number). The WM store nearest to me normally carries 4 different brand choices of filters; Supertech, Mobil 1, Fram and K and N. The filter prices vary from $4.46 for the ST, up to $13 plus for the K and N. This store had no filters of any of these brands of the part that I needed, so I wrote it off has just being a high demand / out of stock issue.

When I got home, I logged into the WM website to try and order some of the filters, thinking that website pricing would be same or identical to shelf pricing in the store. Needless to say it was not. First off the ST brand was not even offered, the lower tier Fram was offered but was showing a higher price, and the Mobil 1 and K and N were out of stock. I ended up buying Fram EGs from AMZN at a price that was within a $1.00 of the ST filter shelf price at WM and I will have them tomorrow.

After I made the purchase I received a text from the WM app telling me that the oil filter part I was looking for was in high demand and supply was short and that I better order one if I needed it within the next (X) days.

My summary to this experience is; are mundane items like oil filters really in short supply, or is this relative to just WM as a retailer and how they are managing inventory, or could Amazon be commanding from suppliers more readiness to stock or supply preferential treatment so that they can maintain a higher level of customer service and delivery? I honestly do not know what is happening, but it seems to me that what we use to take for granted with items being on the shelf in the store, are no longer the norm. Please reply and share your thoughts.....as your experiences may help us all to understand on how we might have to adapt to daily living in this new normal.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Been more or less like that here for a couple years, oil and oil filter shelves are all pretty empty, with maybe a whole bunch of one part number / item and nothing for the rest.

Also, in my local WM all the store prices are incorrect. You get to the register and they ring up at the same price as on-line irrelevant of what the shelf says. I noticed this a while ago. I guess there too lazy to update the shelf sticker, or there just scamming everyone - or maybe both. Of course you could probably wait and get an over-ride but it would likely take an hour....

It's not just filters in short supply. At my local Walmart today, I saw beaucoup empty shelves. The store had no printer paper, very limited amounts of pet food and only the most expensive brand of dishwasher detergent. And some of the health and beauty aids shelves were half empty. But they sure had plenty of toilet paper and paper towels.

It's not just filters in short supply. At my local Walmart today, I saw beaucoup empty shelves. The store had no printer paper, very limited amounts of pet food and only the most expensive brand of dishwasher detergent. And some of the health and beauty aids shelves were half empty. But they sure had plenty of toilet paper and paper towels.
I was told yesterday that our state is out of title paper for vehicle titling, etc. Mid-size trailer rental company that I deliver trailers for said he's been waiting on titles for his latest batch of new trailers for 12 weeks. I wonder if this is the ripple effect from everyone dedicating resources, materials and machine time to produce toilet paper during the 2020 shortage.

Walmart Associates are too busy shopping for others. They don’t have the staffing to keep the shelves stocked and shelf prices up to date
I don't think this is the case simply because walmart doesn't have much storage space in back, so if they were actually getting inventory it would be stacked in boxes everywhere. The whole idea is the store is the warehouse - you don't need inventory in the back.

Unless possibly there just holding inventory for online orders at some central location somewhere.

I do agree that there seem to be lots of people standing around and shouting orders to customers trying to check out while adding no value themselves.

The Walmart's in my area seem to keep the filters stocked up very well however the oil shelves are sometimes low or empty on certain brands. I don't think the stores have enough people to stock the shelves at different times. They can stock several filters of every brand and take up a small amount of space however eight 5 quart jugs of oil will take up quite a large space.

I wonder if these low inventory issues are occurring at a more regional level. I haven’t seen this at all where I live in Colorado. At least not for my vehicles. I do have a friend in the NY state area that can never seem to find a part though. He recently needed to replace a car battery and WM, Advanced, Autozone, and one other were all backordered. I looked here and it was in stock everywhere.

If you are going to need filters and oil or whatever then the mindset should be to buy them when you see them.
This is true now more than ever.

In the past I've bought most of my filters on Amazon. NO MORE. I think out of the 10 filters I have bought in the last few months (for my own vehicles and family/friends) 8 of them were dented so bad I wouldn't feel comfortable using them. Not sure what the heck they are doing with these things, but every time I leave a bad review with pictures. What a waste of time.

I wonder if these low inventory issues are occurring at a more regional level. I haven’t seen this at all where I live in Colorado. At least not for my vehicles. I do have a friend in the NY state area that can never seem to find a part though. He recently needed to replace a car battery and WM, Advanced, Autozone, and one other were all backordered. I looked here and it was in stock everywhere.
Same experience for me. Some low stock maybe but really nothing I've noticed out of stock anytime recently. Definitely location dependent.

Also, in my local WM all the store prices are incorrect. You get to the register and they ring up at the same price as on-line irrelevant of what the shelf says. I noticed this a while ago. I guess there too lazy to update the shelf sticker, or there just scamming everyone - or maybe both. Of course you could probably wait and get an over-ride but it would likely take an hour....

Seems like this is the case everywhere I shop at the mainstream stores....groceries, hardware, clothes, you name it. Even restaurant menus that are not reflected when the bill arrives. I am putting it down to understaffing and ever escalating prices. I often spend at least another ten minutes when paying to get the charges corrected at check-out. As you may know, retailers have to correct the prices to the labelled amounts. Sadly, in my State they have passed a law that no longer requires items to be labelled on the product as long as they are they are indicated on the shelf. Waste more time looking for the actual price whenever I go shopping. All the fun has gone out of the shopping experience, just like travelling!

My thanks to all of you whom responded. Amazon rescheduled my filter delivery to today......as it didnt arrive yesterday as originally confirmed.

Yes, I get labor shortage issues, and supply chain issues too. I have not kept ready stock in my garage due to being able to get most anything at a moment's notice. I guess my practice regarding that for the future is going to have to change.

Seems like this is the case everywhere I shop at the mainstream stores....groceries, hardware, clothes, you name it. Even restaurant menus that are not reflected when the bill arrives. I am putting it down to understaffing and ever escalating prices. I often spend at least another ten minutes when paying to get the charges corrected at check-out. As you may know, retailers have to correct the prices to the labelled amounts. Sadly, in my State they have passed a law that no longer requires items to be labelled on the product as long as they are they are indicated on the shelf. Waste more time looking for the actual price whenever I go shopping. All the fun has gone out of the shopping experience, just like travelling!
If its anything on sale or clearance I take a picture of the shelf price and then watch the prices as things ring up. Surprising how often the price rings up wrong. Just bought charcoal at WM 2 days ago that was marked with a huge $17.99 sign, it rang up for $19.99, the associate changed it without question.

This is not uncommon;
I shop 5-6 (sometimes 7 or 8) different stores regularly...

Shortages are real. I may have to hit 3 different stores to find what I need.

I stopped buying (at least) filters at B&M stores a long time ago. Always order from RA in 4-10 filters at a time and restock when down to 2-3 filters.
I only stock two filters thou - Mann W811/80 for the Kias and Bosch 3323 for daughter's Acura. And while at that I order 2x each air or CAFs.

If its anything on sale or clearance I take a picture of the shelf price and then watch the prices as things ring up. Surprising how often the price rings up wrong. Just bought charcoal at WM 2 days ago that was marked with a huge $17.99 sign, it rang up for $19.99, the associate changed it without question.
It happens a lot.
Had that happen on some Marie Callendar's products. Off by 50¢ . Also adjusted them without question. Saved $3 by asking.

Back