How to make a Bobcat leave?

I wouldn't shoot anything at it just in case it is endangered or protected in your area. If it was my chicken coop I would probably double fence it so that the mountain lions can't yank the chicken out.

Might try a BB gun … my pellet guns are so fast they might penetrate and harm the cat. A cheap BB will not.

paintball gun with pepper balls?

I think you might have to shoot it.. once they get stupid from good meals.. they are very hard to deter.

They are NOT endangered and it was actually legal to hunt or trap them in California until last year, but it is NOT illegal to kill one to protect your property. That is the ONLY way that you are going to be able to get rid of it. A BB gun or any other less than lethal weapon is not going to dissuade him from getting a meal (cats have very short memories). The only other alternative would be to talk a game warden into removing it.

Talk with the Game Warden and see about trapping and moving the cat to another area. This can is more than able to top your fence if he wants. I not an animal rights person but, hate to see animals just killed if there is another way, and in this case there is. Ed

A year or so ago we were eating outside on a restaurant's patio and one of these just strolled right through walking between the tables. Thought it was a big house cat until I saw the tail.

Bobcats are a protected species here in NH and have been for more than 30 years. There is no hunting or trapping season for bobcats. Game wardens here are considered constables statewide so their jurisdiction is universal. I took the hunter safety course a few years and part of it was taught by the local came warden. The topic came up. Being on own property is not license and is no excuse to shoot, harrass, relocate or even scare away bobcats.

You have to enclose the top part of the fence, or close the chickens in the coop at night. I have chickens, and once bobcats or a fox knows they are there, it will be back almost every night. My chicken coop has chicken fence on all sides including the top, and I close them in at night. It's the only way.

Buy an electric fencer that is used to keep cattle in an enclosed area. Build an electric fence about 5-feet outside of your chicken house to keep the kitty away. Make sure you get a fencer that has lots of power. It’s how people keep raccoons away from sweet corn around here. (Raccoons love sweet corn that’s still on the stalk)

You have to enclose the top part of the fence, or close the chickens in the coop at night. I have chickens, and once bobcats or a fox knows they are there, it will be back almost every night. My chicken coop has chicken fence on all sides including the top, and I close them in at night. It's the only way.
I enclosed it years ago. Before we got the birds. Spent tonight after work tightning it and making sure there are no holes the cat can get through.

The official way is to contact Fish and Game. If you show them the carnage and meet who knows what criteria, they can issue a depradation permit. Only with this permit, if issued, can you legally kill the animal.
The unofficial way has been suggested. The penalties involved if you are caught would pay for a lot of chickens. The trouble with shoot, shovel and shut up is it only works if you are the only person that knows about it.

You can try lacing the area with wolf or cayote urine.
You can order it on Amazon.
When I was a kid we had an outside dog and though there were bobcats I'd see in the woods between fields, they didn't come after the chickens or geese in the yard.

Back