How to get to sleep? Give me tips

This works for me, ;)
717gv7IeYRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Step 1 If you want to sleep well forget the medications - all of them. Don't consume caffeine or chocolate late in the day - none after about 4:00 pm.

Step 2 Develop a going to bed routine - start the routine at the same time, let the dog out, brush teeth, lay down, read a book, getting tired, turn off the lights ....

Step 3 Concentrate of your breathing: in, out (slowly, slowly) in, out ... concentrate on your breathing ..... whoa how did it get to be morning already

Step 4 If you wake up and can't get back to sleep, thoughts racing - don't lie awake - read a book for a while, getting tired, turn off the lights, concentrate on your breathing, etc

I am dealing with anxiety and for a few years took ambien until i made the decision to stop using it or any similar medication at all. I don't drink alcohol often, i run every day, i like to eat as healthy as i can and it helps. But once in bed, i have to focus really hard on something (like engines, music or motor oil lol) until i fall asleep before the negative thoughts arrive. For the last months, i'd say i'm awake or barely sleeping a night out of two, no matter how physically tired i am. I am aware that the best way to fix this would be to fix everything that's wrong in my life at the moment and learn how to cope with stupidity and negativity. Since sleep might be a problem at some point in one's life, i guess everyone has little tips that can help!
Turning off your thoughts may be very difficult. I have a tendency to ruminate but I have learned to control it. I see sleeping time as a vacation. Nothing bothers me on my vacation and I simply refuse to deal with problems at this time. That's my approach when I lie down to sleep. I can generally sleep anywhere and at any time on command simply by taking a mental vacation.

Ambien is a short acting benzo and shouldn't be used for sleeping, its use is for anxiety etc. A proper long acting sleep benzo like temazepam is the proper drug to be used. The problem is are you going to use it for a short time or need it long term because it is addictive but NOT dangerous if taken under supervision, but that is yours and your drs decision.

I am dealing with anxiety and for a few years took ambien until i made the decision to stop using it or any similar medication at all.
If nobody has replied yet, give a shot to CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) along with meditation. When I am unable to sleep, I focus on my breathing.

Even though you are not interested in medication, I strongly recommend you give a try to Melatonin, esp if you are more than 50. Most physicians do not recommend this before prescribing Ambien, mostly because they have not read the latest research. I take it daily, not for sleep but for its antioxidant properties in the brain. No other antioxidant reaches the brain.
If Melatonin doesn't cut for you, give a shot to Ramelteon (brand name Rozerem). It works similar to Melatonin.

If you choose to use Melatonin and get vivid dreams, reduce the dose. Every person is different. My wife can't use more than 1mg because vivid dreams wake her up. For me, I have to go more than 5mg to get vivid dreams. If you google, there is no shortage of blog posts claiming Melatonin to be habit forming, it is not. Discuss it with your physician, esp if you have any other health issue. Being in France, both of these are probably prescription only for you.

Sunlight exposure every day.
Exercise every day.
Go to bed at the same time each night.
No caffeine for eight hours prior to bed.
No food for a couple hours prior to bed.
No electronics of any kind one hour prior to bed.
Turn them completely off during your sleep time. No pings, dings, or notifications.
Do your work, heavy thinking, stress related activities in a room other than your bedroom.
Make certain your bed room is quiet, cool, and dark.
3mg of melatonin an hour prior to bed.

I usually have no issue falling asleep and I’m on my phone usually till bed. Sometimes I even fall asleep with it in my hand. One thing that would put me to sleep is reading talk about boring there it is. I can’t mention one of the other things that helps me go to sleep though and someone already mentioned it above. Also having the lights off most likely I’ll fall asleep.
You’re 19.

I’ve seen 19 year olds fall asleep under the catapults on an aircraft carrier. One of the loudest environments on the planet, with occasional ship-shaking impacts.

Doesn’t help the OP.

You’re 19.

I’ve seen 19 year olds fall asleep under the catapults on an aircraft carrier. One of the loudest environments on the planet, with occasional ship-shaking impacts.

Doesn’t help the OP.
Had to laugh at that one.

I wonder if being on the go all day long helps. But being young(er) probably is key here. We were all better when we were younger.

I am dealing with anxiety and for a few years took ambien until i made the decision to stop using it or any similar medication at all. I don't drink alcohol often, i run every day, i like to eat as healthy as i can and it helps. But once in bed, i have to focus really hard on something (like engines, music or motor oil lol) until i fall asleep before the negative thoughts arrive. For the last months, i'd say i'm awake or barely sleeping a night out of two, no matter how physically tired i am. I am aware that the best way to fix this would be to fix everything that's wrong in my life at the moment and learn how to cope with stupidity and negativity. Since sleep might be a problem at some point in one's life, i guess everyone has little tips that can help!
Do what the rest of us with issues do. Have a glass of wine and hit up an antihistamine of your choice along with 3mg or so of melatonin. Not it's not healthy, but life isn't healthy, so whatever. It's worked for me for the last 10 years or so.

*This is not medical or legal advice.

Had to laugh at that one.

I wonder if being on the go all day long helps. But being young(er) probably is key here. We were all better when we were younger.
Brain is still growing ... so can sleep in the middle of a hurricane, lol.

Here are some things that help:

1. Turn on night mode for all of your electronics if there is an options. Most cellphones and computers have it these days. What it does is reduce the amount of "blue light" that is taken in and reduces the negative it affects it has on your sleep pattern. Before you go to sleep, try to avoid any "blue light", I'd say 1 hour or two before you go to bed.
  2. Take a warm shower before you go to bed
  3. Find sound tracks of rain falling or ocean noises and let them play
  4. Clear your mind, try not to reflect on the day as you go to sleep, rather before you go to sleep. Re assure yourself that whatever happened, happened for a reason and that you cannot control everything. Think positive thoughts.
  5. Use a weighted blanket if the need be
  6. Have a consistent pattern. Wake up at the same time every day if the need be and get into bed at the same time.
  7. If you do not exercise get into the routine of doing it, it helps.
Hopefully these tips help. Practise these for at least a month, nothing will change overnight or in a week or two. Need to be consistent.

Reactions: GON
Agree, less screen time before bed. Read before sleep is my main route to zzzzzzzzzzzzz

At first here is my recommendation: 5-12 mg melatonin , magnesium, calcium, and reading
I'm doing the things in your second sentence (though I'm finding it hard to read paper books that I haven't already read -- my local libraries are still hiding from the Big Hysteria, and if I want new stuff to read, I have to buy it). Still I often wake up at 2 am. Of course, part of that might be that the cats bound onto the bed and say, "Pay attention to us!"

Back