How to get to sleep? Give me tips

I am dealing with anxiety and for a few years took ambien until i made the decision to stop using it or any similar medication at all. I don't drink alcohol often, i run every day, i like to eat as healthy as i can and it helps. But once in bed, i have to focus really hard on something (like engines, music or motor oil lol) until i fall asleep before the negative thoughts arrive. For the last months, i'd say i'm awake or barely sleeping a night out of two, no matter how physically tired i am. I am aware that the best way to fix this would be to fix everything that's wrong in my life at the moment and learn how to cope with stupidity and negativity. Since sleep might be a problem at some point in one's life, i guess everyone has little tips that can help!

You need meds only if you choose to use them twice a week. Yea-meds can be a rabbit hole but sometimes they are necessary. Ambien (Zolpidem ) is now Generic as is Restorial (Temazepam) . The later cost pennies under most insurance plans.

It's the pits walking around like a Zombie more than you are not.

I have used this on occasion when struggling with sleep with some success. After a few nights of poor sleep this will work at least 50% of the time which to me is well worth the cost when sleep deprived. I find 2 pills help most at bedtime. Hope you get sleep soon

I believe you are trying to calm yourself; to calm your mind.
Just say. thank you for this day and think of a few beautiful things in your day.
Then ask for sleep because tomorrow will be a busy day and you need your rest.
That's it; don't do any more. KISS (Keep it simple stupid) principle.

I like to read; get a Kindle.

Talk to your Doctor.

Good luck.

You need meds only if you choose to use them twice a week. Yea-meds can be a rabbit hole but sometimes they are necessary. Ambien (Zolpidem ) is now Generic as is Restorial (Temazepam) . The later cost pennies under most insurance plans.

It's the pits walking around like a Zombie more than you are not.
It's called Zolpidem here indeed. At some point it had no effect at all on me unless i took more. It was really hard to stop using it and being able to fall asleep without it again.

Start reading a regular book, not a Kindle or Kobo, but an actual paper book 1 hour before bedtime. The subject must be un-related to anything you have going on in your life, so no self-help, no Tribologist mystery books...it's about getting away from a screen and getting your mind thinking about something else before you shut off the lights.

Have some kind've white noise in the background when you go to bed. Run a fan. I have to have some noise (I run a huge floor fan. It's a metal shop fan.) If I don't, I'll either be kept awake by the sound of my own pulse or I'll concentrate on every single noise I hear and be too distracted to sleep.

I'll also take a Benadryl when I go to bed and it'll totally make me pass out and sleep all night.

I tried to get off Ambien. I can occasionally get to sleep in my own, but I'm back up by 1am.

Just get back on it. Sleep deprivation sucks. I have too many expensive mistakes I could make it work if I'm not firing on all cylinders. Nothing else works for me, so I can't very well suggest them to you.

Melatonin works very well. 5-10mg is a typical dose. One popular brand that starts with N and ends in -trol has a time release version that is very good. Half gets released right away, the other half later on.

The trick with melatonin is to take it about 90 minutes before you go to bed.

Start reading a regular book, not a Kindle or Kobo, but an actual paper book 1 hour before bedtime. The subject must be un-related to anything you have going on in your life, so no self-help, no Tribologist mystery books...it's about getting away from a screen and getting your mind thinking about something else before you shut off the lights.
Will try that, reading about scientific subjects could be a good way of escaping personal, emotional thoughts.
Have some kind've white noise in the background when you go to bed. Run a fan. I have to have some noise (I run a huge floor fan. It's a metal shop fan.) If I don't, I'll either be kept awake by the sound of my own pulse or I'll concentrate on every single noise I hear and be too distracted to sleep.
White noise always helped me but gf hates any kind of white noise...

Melatonin helps me get turned back around from night shifts. I know some say it shouldn't be used long-term, but I find it good for a reset once in a while.

Are you just having a hard time getting to sleep in the first place, or are you waking up in the middle of the night as well? I find that when I over-sleep, the next night is very likely to be a rough one. In contrast, if I make sure to get up after 7.5-8 hours of sleep, I'll likely be tired enough to sleep properly the next night. Temperature is also a factor for me - if it is too warm, I will toss and turn.

It's called Zolpidem here indeed. At some point it had no effect at all on me unless i took more. It was really hard to stop using it and being able to fall asleep without it again.
There many different generic brands. They say they are all the same but they are not. Try a different brand or if possible get the genuine stuff. Don't take it more than 2 or 3 nights in a row before going the same number of nights without it.

I wouldn't venture to give medical advice, but if it's oil-related: Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and sleep well :)
Serious now: As others said, read a real book.

I tried to get off Ambien. I can occasionally get to sleep in my own, but I'm back up by 1am.

Just get back on it. Sleep deprivation sucks. I have too many expensive mistakes I could make it work if I'm not firing on all cylinders. Nothing else works for me, so I can't very well suggest them to you.
Yes i often woke up at 1 or 2 am too. Not to mention waking up under influence, ordering things on the internet and having no recollection of anything. I had UPS deliver me a set of four Michelin Energy Saver as well as a Seiko. Cool surprises... Until i took a look at my bank account and understood.

Back