How to get to sleep? Give me tips

My pain management Dr. prescribed some DANG good sleeping pills for me. I take one before I go to bed at night, along with a pain pill. ;)
I had an appt. with my pain management Dr. Wednesday May 18th. Alcohol showed up in my urine test. I have been taking NYQUIL since this past Sunday for a head cold. He wasn't mad after I told him it was NYQUIL. He thought I might have been drinking while taking the High Octane pain meds he prescribes for me. I haven't drank ANY alcohol or beer since I was 18 (1982).
My friend takes the sleeping pills in the link below;

My friend takes the sleeping pills in the link below;
Those are basically Benadryl (same active ingredient: Diphenhydramine).

I am dealing with anxiety and for a few years took ambien until i made the decision to stop using it or any similar medication at all. I don't drink alcohol often, i run every day, i like to eat as healthy as i can and it helps. But once in bed, i have to focus really hard on something (like engines, music or motor oil lol) until i fall asleep before the negative thoughts arrive. For the last months, i'd say i'm awake or barely sleeping a night out of two, no matter how physically tired i am. I am aware that the best way to fix this would be to fix everything that's wrong in my life at the moment and learn how to cope with stupidity and negativity. Since sleep might be a problem at some point in one's life, i guess everyone has little tips that can help!

Read a book. Something on a subject that interest you, and that can captivate you and stimulate your imagination. This will tire you mentally and keep the bad thoughts away. When you can't remember the start of a sentence when you reach the end, it's time to turn off the (dimmed) lights and put the book away.

Start reading a regular book, not a Kindle or Kobo, but an actual paper book 1 hour before bedtime. The subject must be un-related to anything you have going on in your life, so no self-help, no Tribologist mystery books...it's about getting away from a screen and getting your mind thinking about something else before you shut off the lights.
I see we are on the same page (pun intended).

Those are basically Benadryl (same active ingredient: Diphenhydramine).

So, is that good or bad?
My pain management Dr. prescribes the best sleeping pills. ;)

tennis on tv... specifically womens tennis. But you need commentators that know when to shut up though. the rythm of the rackets hitting the balls and the ooh-aah's put me out in seconds

Princeton Digital air adjustable bed mattress from Sam’s Club roughly $800 for a queen size, we love it, each person can set their own firmness, been spot in reliable for the last few years so far (Sleep Number is another brand) if you toss and turn or have any back pain. You can also customize by adding a 2 inch foam topper to your liking which we did rather then buy a more expensive model with the memory foam or plain foam already built in by buying it after you can customize to your liking.

Headphones and music or a magazine/book

Last edited:
I work second shift and often struggle to get to sleep when I get home. I take Melatonin and it has been fantastic as a sleep aid. I also use ashwagandha for stress and anxiety and when taken together with the melatonin it works very well. After that, a little whiskey helps take the edge off. My biggest issue is lack of time to wind down. Most people will get off work at 4 or 5 pm and do their own thing for a few hours before going to bed. I try to be in bed not more than an hour after I get off so I can get up and do my own thing during the day. 16-18 hour days are pretty normal for me.

I just pop a diphenhydramine hcl 25mg. Says to take 2 but just one an hour before my desired sleep time usually does it. I buy the Walmart brand and it's both the allergy and sleep aid since it's the same thing. I only take it once a week on a day I just need to sleep early or can't sleep.

Gently nudge your significant other and as they emerge from theIr foggy slumber whisper that you need a bit of theIr all natural sleep inducer. If this works you’re golden, if not at least you’ll have company in your misery. 🥶

Gently nudge your significant other and as they emerge from theIr foggy slumber whisper that you need a bit of theIr all natural sleep inducer. If this works you’re golden, if not at least you’ll have company in your misery. 🥶
Quite true. Have to admit that my sleep is worse the three nights of the week i spend alone.

Too much melatonin (10mg max) and I get very vivid and wild dreams, too much benedryl (25mg at least 8 hours before I need to be functional) and I wake up feeling like I was out drinking all night.

Back