How to document oil changes

On a brand new vehicle if I’m doing it myself? Picking up my 24 Tundra today and plan on service it myself like the bitog I am. I plan on using factory filters. What’s the best way to document it for warranty reasons if something came up….like engine blowing since the recall is for 22-23 Tundras. Should I keep store bought recipes and date it the day it was done? Thanks.

Normally I just do it and not document anything.
I kept the receipts for all my purchases and used the Fuelly app to document what I did. I track fill up and maintenance on both my Ram and the T&C. The Jeep is old school in a small book in the glove box.

Just my $0.02

As another posted suggested. Why even go there with all the issues Toyota is currently having with their motors? Let the dealer do them-if in the chance there is an issues (greater chances than it should be) there is no question of who performed the oil changes and when.

If you don’t understand look at the definition of a break in oil change on a new engine broke in properly.

A break in oil change and the requirement to do so in by most manufacturers has gone away decades ago. I will let you know when the motor blows up in my wife's 2022 Highlander V6 from not draining the oil at 500 miles.

You get two oil changes. Toyota requires a maintenance visit every 5K, but oil changes are every 10K.
I called and asked for clarification... and you're right. They service it every 5K for free but that doesn't include the oil change, only inspection and tire rotation, top off of fluids. The window sticker they gave us is kind of miss leading. Now I know. I would have been disappointed had I not read your post and looked into this further.

I called and asked for clarification... and you're right. They service it every 5K for free but that doesn't include the oil change, only inspection and tire rotation, top off of fluids. The window sticker they gave us is kind of miss leading. Now I know. I would have been disappointed had I not read your post and looked into this further.

You may really want to read this-

I get free oil changes for life. So every 5K miles they change it and check over the vehicle and give me a check up sheet. I drive it around a hundred miles and put "my oil" in. 5W30 instead of their 5W20. So their records show excellent OCI history with their check sheets. I don't have to buy oil filters either.

Last edited:
A break in oil change and the requirement to do so in by most manufacturers has gone away decades ago. I will let you know when the motor blows up in my wife's 2022 Highlander V6 from not draining the oil at 500 miles.
I don’t care,I never asked anyone when to change the oil on a brand new engine,just showed my manner of keeping records on my wife’s new car which was no different than the last three new cars,you do yours and I’ll do mine exactly like my vette builder tells me not a dealer.

Have your wife take a picture of you holding today's newspaper in one hand and the receipt for the new oil and filter in the other hand, showing the car with a massive oil spill under it behind you.

The best thing would be to do the oil change like your videoing a youtube video, yes for every oil change, showing every detail.
And a log book, with the receipts.

But I'm with the others here that say its not worth the multi thousand dollar chance with all the engine failures going on.
They could say you never added the oil and caused the spun bearings or added too little amount, or the wrong grade - viscosity.

There are many cases of denied warranties for lack of "proper" maintenance. That means doing something incorrect.

Back