How to choose a new Fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting closer on my house. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a fridge.

Went shopping yesterday at Lowes and there were so many there my head was swimming.

I guess I'm looking for a traditional fridge with the ice box on top. I don't need something too big as it's just me and my daughter. Plus I don't keep a lot of food on hand, I usually go shopping ever couple of days. I just can't plan out more than a day or 2 in advance.

I definitely need an Ice Maker. I've lived in this apartment for 7 months now and can't stand to make Ice.

I looked at several that were sub $500, but they all seemed "cheap" and non of them had the energy start rating.

I am thinking that the energy star rating would pay for it's self in a year or so. What do you all think?

We have a Amana that is 19 years old and has never missed a beat, althought it does not have an ice maker (that's me). I've heard bad things about GE but do not have any first hand experience with them. Whirlpool seems to be popular up here. Don't count out Kenmore. Check your local Sears.

Almost forgot about the Frigidaire. I've got one of those in my basement that is the one my Mom had. It's got to be 55 years old. Still keep things nice and cold. You just have to turn it off to defrost the freezer. That would be a good choice for you.

Like washers and dryers, refridgerators are often made by some one else.
Ice makers are the troublesome part of ref.. May I suggest you check the Consumer Reports for ratings and reliability history?

Might want to check your local utility/PUC for rebates or incentives for a better/more efficient fridge. Sometimes they can be quite accomodating.

A through the door ice/water dispenser would also save you $$$. Don't forget to get an inline water filter too. Makes a big taste difference.

The only brand I would counsel against is GE. Put a GE side by side that was less than five years old into the dump about five months ago. Icemaker was broken at the time, had two warranty repairs on the compressor, and the compressor had gone out again when we took it to the dump. New repairs cost estimates paid for 3/4 of the cost of a new Frigidaire, top freezer. Overall our family has had good luck with Kenmore, Whirlpool, White-Westinghouse and Maytag. All lasted longer with fewer repairs than the GE.

How good is the plumbing for any water dispensers / ice makers ? AS good as your household plumbing ? If not be prepared for leaks, which seem kinf of common.

We just purchased an Amana bottom freezer without through the door ice/water dispenser. It does have a water dispenser inside the fridge. Just not the need for it, & I really don't believe these have been designed all that well considering the problems with just the std icemaker vs. fridge w/o icemaker.

My folks went through 3 Kenmore bottom-freezer fridges with through the door ice/water in 9 months. They finally got there money back & bought an Amana bottom freezer.

The Kenmore was made in Korea. I'm not aware of anything that Kenmore manufactures - only brand "engineering".

Old Amana's were good but then they changed factories. National seller Klweenmaidad so much grief with them they dumped them. Moved to the new GE's which are high tech and expensive. Don't buy Fischer & Paykel if they are sold in the U.S?

I humbly nod my pointy head in agreement with the chap above who mumbled Consumer Reports.

At the least, I would peek at the repair history for the various brands. Remember, that even CR says that X amount of difference between reliability ratings is meaningless.

Another thing to consider... at times there are differences between the models sold at the BIG mass market stores such as Lowes and the models found at specialized stores such as a dedicated appliance store. SOMETIMES, the higher-end quality stuff is at the specialized store.

An example is the Toro lawnmower I bought. My model is not sold at any mass market store such as Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Only specialized lawnmower shops carry it. My model cost more but had features not found with the mass market store models and the warranty was 5 versus 3 years.

It may be worth the time to check out an independent appliance store. Compare model numbers. Ask questions.

Also, maybe you would obtain better service with a store specializing in appliances.

You may also be surprised to find that prices at the mass marketers are not always the lowest.

Sure pays to shop around a little and talk with those that know their products!!!!

Happy cooling.

Semi off topic: I understand the new stainless fridges aren't magnetic, so you can't hang stuff and junk on your fridge like most folks. If it matters...

Fairly cheap clear plastic hose, best I could tell. Had two leaks from the hose that I could fix; didn't count that against the refrigerator as much as the compressor going out.

Our Amana says that it's built in the US.

You can get faux stainless steel is it or do they use magnetic SS for hanging magnets, etc. Also, isn't it just the front that is non-magnetic SS & the sides are magnetic.

I suspect you'll have to pay closer to $1K for a good refer. Energy star is worth it. Our new Frigidaire (Electrolux) is alot quieter than our old Maytag.

A lot of brands, such as Amana, Maytag, and GE aren't what they used to be.

Get a US-made refer now; soon they'll all be coming from China.

Back in 1996, the ex and I purchased a Maytag with scroll (IIRC) compressor. Quiet, energy efficient, and other than a couple of plastic bits not surviving usage by a child, the unit has been trouble free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back