How social are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you have a refrigerator full of motor oil? And didn't you actually pour motor oil over breakfast cereal and post pictures?

Perhaps there's a correlation. [/quote]

I did that and put it in the humor section for a reason, I thought some would have a laugh about it, even though the oil stays in the garage. I was just trying to be funny.
cool.gif

I'm more social now than I was 40 years ago.
I enjoy meeting people because for all I know, we may have a lot in common. That doesn't mean I have to break bread with them.

Life is too short to avoid meeting new folks.

I've been diagnosed with high functioning autism by one psychologist, and social anxiety disorder by another.

How social am I?
crazy.gif

Plus, the older I get, like others have said, the more of a misanthrope I become. I've been stomped on and screwed over by so many people because I am different, it's generally left me with a distaste for most people. HOWEVER, it is refreshing to meet people who are genuinely empathetic to others and who aren't out to screw you over at any opportunity.

I am very social with people who are like minded and have the same interests I have. But trying to be social for the sake of being social, is not my forte. I have no interest in or knowledge of pop culture, what the latest happenings are with the Kardashians, what the latest hit pop song is etc.. That is what most people talk about and I could care less.

Last edited:
I've been rather reclusive or if you want to call it 'anti-social' since I was a child. I was raised in a family that was dysfunctional in many ways, so I suspect this was my reason for keeping to myself when possible. A close self examination leads me to believe that I also have social anxiety (a 'disorder" as it is labeled? ....perhaps). I am often misunderstood and shunned for my opinions (often differing from popular culture). I also see most others as a waste of space. Trivial interests (football, Hollywood, fashion) I find typically annoying.
When around others (work, shopping, etc.) I often become quiet and introverted. It's during those periods that I am assessing those around me for value or interest to me. If I find something interesting in those individuals...I MAY say a few words, but generally not much.
I've had a few friendships in my adult life but most either end or rot on the vine. I find that others have very little time to devote toward meaningful friendships (or they are busy 99% of the time with family). In truth though, I'm not sure I would ever actually WANT a friend calling and/or showing up at my home frequently. Kind of a Catch-22.
I used to 'do' Facebook. At first I found it enjoyable to find old high school or past employment contacts. That soon lost it's charm however as I realized that those people really meant nothing to me. But the most repugnant aspect of Facebook is the blatant narcissism. Not for me....so I only have a made up account for now and only have it to utilize as an occasional base to search for various people/interests. I rarely ever log on.
Really, I don't mind being 'anti-social'. I do wish that I could be a bit more comfortable with small talk and social gatherings. But in the end...this is who I am.

Last edited:
Going out tonight. I helped a neighbor move six weeks ago or so. So she's taking me out for a beer tonight. I think I'll get a Kentucky Bourbon Ale. I had one of those before and it tastes like apricot and full bodied. They better not be out of it. My German roots are showing. Or maybe it's the Irish in me. I'm half German and half Irish.
lol.gif

I used to dread going out but now I look forward to it. It's what you make of it. The more you loosen up the more fun seems to be had. But keep it to a strict limit otherwise it can be a slippery slope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Andy636
I consider 95% of the population to be a waste of oxygen...what does that make me?

Look on the bright side, you still have 5 per cent!

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Originally Posted By: Andy636
I consider 95% of the population to be a waste of oxygen...what does that make me?

Look on the bright side, you still have 5 per cent!

Exactly, even if it were 1% that would still probably be a million people or so.
smile.gif

I've little desire to interact with people and am most at ease in my own company.

Even among my few friends, I sometimes am angling for a way to get out of their presence.

It wasn't always like this. I spent years travelling the planet and was eager to meet people and interact.

However, now it seems like everybody just wants talk about their possessions and 'one up' the other guy.

I have no interest in this, and our increasingly narcissistic "Me Me me" culture disgusts me.

I'm with Pablo on this. When I was younger, I was a social freak. Played in a bunch of bands and had friends everywhere and could strike up a conversation with almost anybody immediately based on their non-verbal clues. But something happended along that 50 year journey. People started changing. People seemed WAY friendlier and easier to approach in the 80-90's than now. Maybe it's a generation thing, as I've "aged" out anything past baby boomer. The me generation is just exactly that...me, and don't bother me. This past year or so, I've found that when I've tried to be social, there is absolutely no bio-feedback from others. It's like Pablo said, they get creeped out (and I don't even have a refrigerator full of OIL and even make my own beer....which you would think would be a conversation starter that might end in something like " you wanna come over and try some home brew?"...but it doesn't). So, I've pretty much withdrawn. Even with my 9 year old at PTA's, choir practice, dance recital, etc. etc., there are a very FEW parents that even talk. No, it's not me. I'm a society "normal," where average clothes, shoes, nothing special about my vehicles, don't do the bling thing, not ugly and unassuming. I can remember my father in the 60-70's, he could strike up a conversation with anybody and almost 100% of the time, they'd engage in conversation with him. Just not that way today. Period. There has been a shift....sad but true. Too much media hype and all the bad things that humans can do and thus everyone assumes you're "one" of them? I don't know. I worry for my daughter because she's a social butterfly like her grandfather and father were.

Both my parents continually say that society has changed in a bad way. My mother has been a teacher for over 30 years and she always talks about how parents have changed, how teachers have changed. There is no more trust amongst people, the teachers are out to get each other, the parents are out to get the teachers, and no one gives a rats behind about the kids.

I honestly don't get it. I think a lot of it has to do with the economics of the 21st century. We have to work twice as hard (as in both parents in a nuclear family) to have the same income to even survive, and with pop culture and modern advertizing, we go into debt to have the latest this and that to try and one up each other. If you don't have the latest phone or a new TV or the latest fashion style of clothing, you are looked down upon.

It all seems rather hilarious to me.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm social with a select group of people consisting of friends and co-workers. My best friends are extremely intelligent people who can challenge me and it makes for solid discourse across a broad range of subjects. And these are the same people who I'll go ATV'ing or shooting with. Engaging conversation can happen any time and whatever we do, be it watching a movie, blowing up some hard drives, 4-wheeling for hours...etc, we enjoy ourselves.

That being said, I don't suffer fools, so the list of whom I would call "friend" is relatively short. However, these are people I trust and respect, which I think are the best type of people to have in your life.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
I posted this on Facebook, and a girl called me a creep for it, but why? She notes I don't have a normal social life, and rudely pointed out I have no friends????

It could mean she likes you and maybe testing you, who knows. Especially, if she's pretty. Since they seem used to do doing or saying just about anything and getting away with it. If she wasn't interested in you I doubt she'd be even talking/communicating with you. Maybe she's crazy, playing games with you or wants attention from you which she's getting.
smile.gif

Many hot girls like the bad boy, loser type. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George does the opposite of everything he normally does and gets the hot girl.

I'm social with a select group of people consisting of friends and co-workers. My best friends are extremely intelligent people who can challenge me and it makes for solid discourse across a broad range of subjects. And these are the same people who I'll go ATV'ing or shooting with. Engaging conversation can happen any time and whatever we do, be it watching a movie, blowing up some hard drives, 4-wheeling for hours...etc, we enjoy ourselves.

That being said, I don't suffer fools, so the list of whom I would call "friend" is relatively short. However, these are people I trust and respect, which I think are the best type of people to have in your life.

wow,
you get to shoot HDDs...

do you keep the magnets for people catching iron in oil filters?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

wow,
you get to shoot HDDs...

do you keep the magnets for people catching iron in oil filters?

Check out the firearms sub-forum for some pics of our recent shootings
smile.gif

And sometimes I save the magnets, other times no. Just depends.

I have a tight circle of friends and family. I don't do Facebook, I dont post pictures. I visit a few forums on a daily basis. Even that circle is tightening as I spend more time with my grandson. We are repaying the child rearing debt and I'm loving it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I started a thread about this a couple years back. It's simple for me:

The older I get the less social I am. People actually tire me out, I mean interacting with with people all day makes me physically and mentally tired. Nothing a little run or hard walk won't cure.

There are tons of good people out there. Don't let the losers in charge spoil it for you. And certainly don't let some punk chick on Spacebuttt dictate your life. Wow. Think about it. A girl on the interweb has that influence on you? Dump that media immediately.

Pablo you have no idea, talking to people on the phone for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week is exhausting. Especially when about 85% of them make me want to go home and drink. It's exhausting both mentally, and physically.

As far as how social I am, it's not that I'm insociable with people IRL, I occasionally go out with a few select friends from work, go to the bar with them, go to their place and play card games and get drunk and crash on their couch, etc on weekends.

I don't get out of work till 8 o clock and don't get home till 8:30-9, so by the time I get out of work all I want to do is go home and talk to people online. IRC chat, BITOG, and voice chat when playing some video games with some friends or whatever.

I'm far more social online than I am offline. Mainly because online I can be "around" people who share the same interests, so it's far more fulfilling than being around people I don't care about (which is most other people to be honest) By and large I just can't stand stupid people. :>

It's true about the general cultural shift and behavior of most people at least in the USA.

I think that in the past decade or so perhaps 15 years the quality and character of most folks have DRASTICALLY declined.

The truth is that people are in fact much less trustworthy than they were a few decades ago..and perhaps due to desperation in economic terms an ugly opportunistic streak seems to be omnipresent in people.

I don't bother with most folks, and I require people to prove their character before I engage them in any meaningful way. I make no apologies either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back