How physically active are you?

I have been physically very active from the beginning. As a kid I was always bouncing off the walls with a surplus of energy. I started sports seriously at around age 10. Back then I was surfing, swimming, skate boarding, and biking. In middle school I began wrestling and running. My favorite sport has always been surfing and I still go surfing and swimming at least twice a week. I run 5 miles a day, and I do work out in my garage a few times a week. I do more bodyweight training than weight training. I'm about to hit my mid-forties and while I have noticed a decline in speed, strength and endurance are better than ever. I have been able to keep wear and tear to a minimum by not focusing on just one or two sports. My goals is to not groan when getting in and out of vehicles or when getting up from a sitting position for as many years as possible.

How active are you? Do you groan? 😩

i'm active too; I do running, biking some weights and swimming during summer; I try to burst in sweat minimum 3 times a week; normally my activity goal is for about 45min

however, do not forget what exercise does to your body, reading does the same to your brain; they both are equally important

You got another 5 good years left. Until they find the ageing gene and ways to stop or reverse it, the body starts going down hill after 50.
Many of my colleagues started decomposing in their mid-thirties. And their groaning just gets worse. Some even groan when sitting down! So I just got 5 good years left? 💩

I have been away from my local YMCA for almost 1 year due to Covid. My A1C blood sugar is up and the weight is also up by about 7 pounds.
The Y closed up tighter than a clam with Covid, they tried to open partially last Fall, but got shut down again, and again,,,

I really miss the Y. I was going 3x a week, 2 sessions of spin class and 1 session of treadmill and resistance machines. I hope I can get back in safely by Summer 21 :cry:

I have been overweight for as long as I can remember and never really played organized sports. I'm 5'8" and when I was 17 my weight had hit an all-time high of 244lbs and wore pant size 44. 7 months later I was 184lbs. and wearing size 34 pants and I still wasn't into sports or working out. I had cut out sugary drinks and only ate when I was hungry because I had fallen in love with my high school classmate. At 18 I started my automotive apprenticeship and have worked full-time ever since and despite it being a phyiscal job, my weight started creeping up on me again. Now that I'm 45 and have had a different career for the last 12 years my weight had increased to 228 lbs. until about 5 years ago, which is when a co-worker made me realize that if I was going to be around to see my kids grow up I had to take control of my health. I also realized that I was not setting a good example for my kids with my poor eating choices and lack of exercise. So, back in 2015 I started watching what I ate and began walking and/or running daily and had lost 30lbs by 2020. Not only did I change but so did my family, they also have lost weight by eating right and exercising. In 2020 I also incorporated fasting and that has helped my lose another 20lbs. I married my high school sweetheart in 1999 and we are both lighter now than when we first met back in high school and have 2 amazing kids. In August I was down to 176lbs. and am currently at 182lbs. I feel great and keep working towards losing more weight by making healthy food choices, eating less and walking more (currently @ 10 miles a day); But I'm still a groaner, LOL.

Last edited:
Many of my colleagues started decomposing in their mid-thirties. And their groaning just gets worse. Some even groan when sitting down! So I just got 5 good years left? 💩
Decomposing is not a good thing. If you are in good shape now, you can still be in good shape later on but not with same endurance or intensity. I got on a bike for the first time in 7 months today and rode 50 minutes. All flat though. Legs sore for half hour after, but I'm guessing the real soreness will be in the morning.

My health issues force a very sedentary life. Formerly very athletic, I'm annoyed, disappointed and frustrated. Sadly, I sometimes still feel like I can crank out a century ride on my cyclocross bicycle. The sad reality is that I can't even walk the dog around the block.

I have been away from my local YMCA for almost 1 year due to Covid. My A1C blood sugar is up and the weight is also up by about 7 pounds.
The Y closed up tighter than a clam with Covid, they tried to open partially last Fall, but got shut down again, and again,,,

I really miss the Y. I was going 3x a week, 2 sessions of spin class and 1 session of treadmill and resistance machines. I hope I can get back in safely by Summer 21 :cry:
Luckily I live in a place where I don't have to rely on going to the gym. The climate is mild and if I really want to I can even surf or swim during winter time (with a wetsuit). A 7-pound weight increase is not that much. It's mostly water weight. You can lose that in a few weeks with 15 minutes of vigorous exercise a day while maintaining a low-carb diet with a very slight caloric deficit. Rope jumping!

Not very. I enjoy biking in summer but once it gets down to 50F it's too much like work for me. I'd do more hiking but I've yet to pony up for "good" footwear, nothing off the shelf fits. Office worker, I picked up 6 pack a.. rump long ago.

If WFH was good for anything it was sorta good for me as the wife and I have found time to do some workouts together in the basement--we have a huge basement so we put down some flooring and set up a TV, and try to eek out a workout in the morning. It's not enough to lose weight but I've found it a nice way to start my day, as I miss the workout when we don't do it (had to quit for a few days when I wrenched my back shoveling snow&slush).

If I thought my age was showing in my 30's it was nothing. 41 hit and feel like it's only accelerating in how fast I'm going downhill.

I run on the treadmill 6 days a week (40-60 minutes) and I lifg three days a week.

But I overeat and I’m probably 30 pounds overweight right now. I just can’t seem to get motivated. I’m pushing 50 and when I lose weight I actually look older...so it’s tough to get myself into a serious diet knowing what awaits...corpse face, sunken eye sockets, people asking “are you alright?”. But I need to do something...can’t fit into my clothes and I know it’s not good for my health.

As long as it’s not raining hard I try to walk 2 miles each morning. In the evening some sitting leg lifts. I am slowing down over time though.

Have been regularly going to the gym, 4 days a week, since a teenager ( almost 56 now ). I walk about 40 minutes a day ( I hate running ).

I don’t feel my age at all so it seems to be paying off ( so far, knock on wood ).

Flying planes ( not moving much for long periods of time ) isn’t the Healthiest job so it’s important to stay in shape.

Back