How old is this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an extensive collection of 12 bottle packing cases from the early days of the plastic bottles to date. For instance, Quaker State Super Blend API Service SG-SF/CC-CD with QSX. It has the Oil City address complete with the 16301 Zip. It has a big bar coded sticker on it that says 01/24/90 and $14.88. Likely I paid less than that on special. Maybe this is even the case that I argued with the Wally's air head that a case of 12 quarts at 98 cents each couldn't ring up at over 12 dollars. The case also has 1981-1984 in felt tip marker. I had discovered the QS cases for round bottles were just right for holding 4 years of National Geographic.

This establishes 1990 as after the switch to plastic bottles and before I discovered that every 6 month changes of QS left my 81 Phoenix V-6 a sludge monster and switched back to Pennzoil. The Geographics had to learn to fit in the taller, narrower boxes for the square bottles.

I think the cardboard/metal foil/ metal ends were on their way out then. I am not sure when they replaced the thin all aluminum cans. I can remember buying them in gallons. A little clumsy and tended to leak around the metal spout. I don't remember the card board side cans coming in gallons. Maybe a gallon was just too much for that technology. Could be why everything got standardized in quarts. Now that Wally's is passing on the savings to me, I am buying my Pennzoil in the 5 quart plastic bottles. I am also changing 4 times a year whether I need it or not. No more sludge monsters.

Yes I still have my metal spout. It is out there in the garage along with hundreds of other things I will never need, right on top of what I will nevr find if I did ever need it. Keep everything, and eventually, you can't find anything. How did you clean yours, or keep crap from collecting in it from oil change to oil change? Pour clean oil through a dirty old spout?

It is a real shame about all the quart bottles going to the landfill. They should burn nicely. Small scale trash fires are bad for the environment. Large scale trash to energy incinerators would make both economic and environmental sense and be convenient to consumers. Industry could move on to efficient packaging such as the thin plastic bags protected by cardboard. Never happen because of the misguided environmentalists funded by the glass and aluminum industries. Most recycling is very energy intensive and a pain for the consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back