How often do you clean your firearm?

Pew

I clean after every shoot and usually an easy field strip clean once a week; infantry habits. The more I talk to gun owners the more I notice people usually don't clean their firearms that often, usually if/when a malfunction occurs or months after their last shoot. I can usually smell old carbon buildup emanating from their firearms.

I clean my carry guns often I usually clean my non carry guns yearly or when the stop functioning. I found my 1911 and Springfield XD tactical go over 3,000 round with out cleaning shooting my reloads. I used to have a ruger Security Six and the revolver crudded up at over 1,000 rounds.

Reactions: Pew
Every time I shoot them - regardless of round count.

I don't completely field strip the Garands, M-1A or BM-59. Each time you remove and reinstall the trigger group on those old wood stock rifles, you compress the wood a bit and compromise the fit.

So, barrel every time, but once a year, if I remember, they get field stripped. But since they’re gas piston, they don’t get very dirty internally.

The solvent stuff works really well. I wish I knew of these things when I was in, it could have made cleaning way easier; we just used clp on everything. Bolt dirty? Clp. Barrel dirty? Clp. Handguard dirty? Clp.

I used to be one of those that cleaned my guns after every time I took them to the range. But since then, I've read a few articles that suggest such frequent cleaning is totally unnecessary, and just a carryover from long ago, before modern gunpowders.

I still have a hard time putting a dirty gun into the gun safe, but sometimes I will just run a bore snake down the barrel with some CLP, and call it good, until it looks like more cleaning is needed.

For those who do not clean regularly, buy yourself a cheap endoscope off Amazon. I will bet that rifles that are put up dirty for extended times will show some pitting. I have examined several rifles whose owners said regular cleaning was a waste of time and just knew their bores were perfect. It surprised some of them to find pitting. Even smokeless powder residue will attract some amount of moisture if left long enough. The moisture will result in pitting. Personally I do not let a gun which has been fired set more than a week after firing.

I never cleaned my Ruger 10/22 beyond douching it out with brake cleaner every several thousand rounds and lightly oiling it. It still seems more accurate than I can hold it.

Glocks get indifferently cleaned after most some trips to the range.

Fancy or finicky pieces get more TLC. Hunting rifles and shotguns fall into this category.

Every time I shoot them - regardless of round count.

I don't completely field strip the Garands, M-1A or BM-59. Each time you remove and reinstall the trigger group on those old wood stock rifles, you compress the wood a bit and compromise the fit.

So, barrel every time, but once a year, if I remember, they get field stripped. But since they’re gas piston, they don’t get very dirty internally.

I do the same. I never put away a fired weapon without a complete cleaning. On M1-A's and Mini 14's I clean as much as possible without a complete teardown and stock removal. On my AR's and AK's I pull the BCG out, take it apart, and clean everything. It's so easy to do.

Bolt guns and O/U shotguns are the easiest to clean because they can be broken down in literally seconds to get at everything except the trigger group. Much the same with auto pistols.

They are so easy to break down there is no reason not to do a complete cleaning every time they're fired.

On my Remington 7400 auto I can remove the forend and wash everything in the gas system with clean Kerosene and a brush, while holding the muzzle down, and it won't drain into the buttstock. I then blow it out with compressed air the same way.

I do the same with my semi auto shotguns. I really like my new pump CZ 612 Trap gun. Because I can completely break it down by just removing the barrel nut. The same way you pull the barrel on a Remington 870.

The barrel slides off, and the forend containing both action bars and bolt come right off behind it. I can then drop the entire bolt into a jar of solvent and allow it to soak, while I clean the barrel and inside of the receiver, then relube everything. It only takes a few minutes and it comes out cleaner than new.

I typically clean after a session, if I don't have much else to do. Every year, I detail strip and detail clean, other than that, is is a quick scrub, air compressor, and re lube.

I have a few polymer 9mm pistols that I put about 50 rounds through each at the range maybe every six weeks or so and almost never clean them, just some oil on the rails and barrel occasionally. I'll clean them fully... someday.

Just like motor oil it all depends on your scenario/ needs. Modern firearms like Glocks, AR, AK etc don't really need to be cleaned as much. Once a year or 500-1000 rounds is reasonable. If it's a carry or duty gun after every range session. I used to always clean everything after the range. However it's just a waste of time, money, and mechanical wear.

I clean after every shoot and usually an easy field strip clean once a week; infantry habits. The more I talk to gun owners the more I notice people usually don't clean their firearms that often, usually if/when a malfunction occurs or months after their last shoot. I can usually smell old carbon buildup emanating from their firearms.
I almost always clean my firearms within a few days of firing them. I typically don't field strip or clean them if they haven't been fired, but if a firearm hasn't been fired in a long time I might re clean it and lube it prior to firing it.

This approach seems to work for me and my firearms but may not work for others.

Reactions: Pew
The solvent stuff works really well. I wish I knew of these things when I was in, it could have made cleaning way easier; we just used clp on everything. Bolt dirty? Clp. Barrel dirty? Clp. Handguard dirty? Clp.
In recent years I have more or less moved to using CLP most of the time on most of my firearms. The CLP I use seems almost odorless to me and I did some very informal experiments with coating metal plates with various products and leaving them outside in the rain and it seems at least as good at preventing rust (at least in that scenario) as the dedicated gun oils I have been using. It probably isn't quite as good a cleaner as some other products I have used but all in all I am happy. If I clean firearms with CLP I can sometimes spend quality time chatting with my wife at the same time :) as my wife does not find the odor bothersome.

I still have couple niche applications for normal gun oils and occasionally will do a deep cleaning of some firearms with solvents but most of the time I just use CLP. I suspect it does take longer to clean my firearms with CLP than with solvents but I have never actually timed myself.

I figure if I miss a step in my cleaning and subsequent lubing process using one product for both applications may help :)

As usual the experiences and opinions of mine may differ from others.

Last edited:
Back