How often do you check or replace your air filter ?

I put 90k miles on my first air filter and I got 88.7k miles on this one. I change the air filter at six years or when my restriction gauge shows I have a restriction. So far in a little over 12 years and 200k miles the air filter's(two) has yet to show a restriction. I check the filter every oil change(around 7500 miles). This is on my S2000 and I can check the filter without letting any dirt get past the filter, its a large cone filter.

Rod

I go by how loaded the filter looks but change it no later than every two years. I check every 6 months. Wildfires make me check and change the filter more frequently.

Last edited:
i change mine when it's black or when I can't see light through the element. i tap the dust out of it and then I can see through it so i haven't replaced mine yet. i check it when im bored

Once I install a filter, I don’t look at it until I’m ready to change it. Typically that’s around 30,000 miles. It’s my sense that a filter never seals to the airbox as well as it does in the first installation. Under my conditions if it seems too dirty at 30,000 miles I might shorten the interval next time. I don’t see how changing on time intervals makes sense. Also, it’s my view that air filters become more efficient at capturing dirt as they are used.

I think somebody already called me out because I have the dry flow cone filter but I find that having a little bit of dirt on it for all intense purposes may help with filtration. Usually just tapping it out does enough for me. I don't think I bought too many panel filters though come to think of it. I avoided gravel and dirt road and all that stuff like the plague so my air filters even back in the day occasionally I could vacuum the panel filter out the air filter box and then wipe it clean with some soap and water and call it a day

Once I install a filter, I don’t look at it until I’m ready to change it. Typically that’s around 30,000 miles. It’s my sense that a filter never seals to the airbox as well as it does in the first installation. Under my conditions if it seems too dirty at 30,000 miles I might shorten the interval next time. I don’t see how changing on time intervals makes sense. Also, it’s my view that air filters become more efficient at capturing dirt as they are used.
I'm the same way. Once the new filter is in, I don't touch it again until it gets changed.

I’m almost embarrassed to report that I didn’t replace my air filter until a little over five years.
9E2312D6-184C-47E8-82D0-E7DB9554ABC8.jpeg

I put 90k miles on my first air filter and I got 88.7k miles on this one. I change the air filter at six years or when my restriction gauge shows I have a restriction. So far in a little over 12 years and 200k miles the air filter's(two) has yet to show a restriction. I check the filter every oil change(around 7500 miles). This is on my S2000 and I can check the filter without letting any dirt get past the filter, its a large cone filter.

Rod
Just my opinion, but I don't trust any gauge that is put into use for that long without calibration. What if the spring in the restriction gauge has weakened slowly over time and isn't reading accurately anymore? Also for the money that the gauge costs, you can just buy a couple of air filters anyway.

Engine Air filter is likely the most important filter in your car. I change mine every year. Which now is about 6K miles or a little over that.
I agree, air filter is the best preoil filter. But air filters probably filter the worst when new, and filter best when a bit loaded.
I change mine ne around 15k or 3 years unless it looks bad.
I also change mine a day or so before an oil change, so any dirt dislodged with the air filter change , gets dumped with the old oil.

I agree, air filter is the best preoil filter. But air filters probably filter the worst when new, and filter best when a bit loaded.
I change mine ne around 15k or 3 years unless it looks bad.
I also change mine a day or so before an oil change, so any dirt dislodged with the air filter change , gets dumped with the old oil.
Change mine out at least once a year my wife is asthmatic it helps her.

2020 Honda Accord 2.0

I've been changing mine at around 21k miles and filters have really looked very good. I'm seriously thinking about stretching it out to 30k or above.

Just my opinion, but I don't trust any gauge that is put into use for that long without calibration. What if the spring in the restriction gauge has weakened slowly over time and isn't reading accurately anymore? Also for the money that the gauge costs, you can just buy a couple of air filters anyway.
That's where this little guy comes in handy...much more reliable than the old, mechanical gauges.

Attachments

• IMG_4527.jpg
    IMG_4527.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 27
I live in a suburb and drive half freeway. Not many miles per year. I find every three years I just replace my air filter and they never look really bad.. too much work to check them. Maybe I am just lazy. But I change my filters every 15 to 25 K mikes in any case. Purolater usually.
You have been unknowingly doing the best thing you could by not opening the air box or disrupting the filter. You could probably double the FCI but every 3 years seems reasonable.

Back