How often do you check or replace your air filter ?

When the check engine light comes on I know I’ve got all I can get out of it and it has filtered all it can.
I do inspect all of the hoses and clamps at every oil change and anytime the hood is raised. 1/8” hardware cloth keeps the critters out.

I go by the owners manual generally. Too often results in a filter that never filters as efficiently as the auto manufacturer intended.

I keep things simple for myself. Change oil and oil filter every 5000 miles. Change engine air and cabin filters every 10000 miles. I'm always amazed how many leaves and bugs there are in both types of air filters when I change them. Probably overkill, but it is a routine that works well for me. I do all of my own automotive maintenance work and watch for good deals on filters and synthetic oil, so my annual costs of routine oil and filters maintenance is about at the same as the cost of one to two tanks of fuel :).

The first engine air filter change for the CX5 was last week. Was definitely dirty but not horribly so.

Mostly because I take it to the dealer for prepaid maintenance and I'm tired of having to say, "No, I don't want a new air filter."
To be fair it was clearly dirty at 20k miles and the owner's manual is a bit confusing on intervals.

I'll switch to a 30K interval for this filter change, ended up with an OEM filter anyway. The jobber filter I bought off rockauto wouldn't fit unless I forced it. I'll probably just do OEM filter swaps from now on, cheap enough to find on eBay.

Just replaced my filter in my 2001 Blazer at 20k. It was pretty dirty, probably because I modified my airbox.
Oh the major HP gains from that mod!!!🤣
Replaced with Fram Ultra

Depends on filter. Most of my cars have washable or vacuumable dry synthetic media engine air filter that are vacuum'd or rinsed at every OCI and never replaced.

Wife's filter was dropped during inspection, into the drained oil bucket. So, it got its replacement at ~9k miles. Forget that I changed it and tossed in a new Wix filter at ~19k miles. Stuck a tag on air filter box to inspect before buying another replacement. Should easily go 20k-30k miles. We have lizards and other field critters that can build nests and/or shred air filters, and too many roads in a state of repaving with graded road dust mess everywhere. Cabin air filter is yearly now and inspected at each OCI. Critters here don't like the smell of Ozium air freshener sprayed on the CAF when installed and sprayed into the HVAC cowl inlet for a few minutes with fan on high.

Can't run engine covers since they turn into nests and cover's insulation gets shredded

Tried something new 2017 CX 5 16K used a house filter from Lowes the plastic type for whole house air just wanting to move more air seems to be working fine time will . jz

Back