How often do you check or replace your air filter ?

I live in a suburb and drive half freeway. Not many miles per year. I find every three years I just replace my air filter and they never look really bad.. too much work to check them. Maybe I am just lazy. But I change my filters every 15 to 25 K mikes in any case. Purolater usually.

I used to do it yearly but pretty much rely on oil analysis now. Our Taurus is over 80k on the air filter. Still looks good and I'll pick the dead bugs out of it occasionally. Silicon will generally start trending up as the filter degrades. The the filter has to reach a certain level of restriction before it is working at maximum efficiency.

Check yearly and replace as needed. Usually change out every 2 years even though visually it looks decent. Cabin filter, once a year, regardless of visual inspection.
This is good.

Manufacturers usually state miles on the engine air filter, but it really depends on conditions. I visually inspected my truck filter after just 6k miles and it was filthy (was run summer to spring) so it got changed really early.

Thanks.. seems like i am in a good spot on maint timing. Every couple years is no big deal money wise .

Once a year. Take it out, inspect it, give it several taps against the concrete floor to dislodge the bigger debris, vacuum out the air box, and reinstall.

Years of maintenance and finding 2 filters which were apparently factory, one @70K the other @50K, has me in the 30K Club.

Those 2 oldies -both flat panel style- were out of vehicles with complete records. Sand fell freely from both as I lifted the elements out.
The velocity needed to lift sand particles through the "pressure drop zone" beneath the element makes me conclude they were nowhere near clogged. Still, 30K is what I decided.

Back