How often do you check or replace your air filter ?

Engine filter 1-2 years, I occasionally pick dirt out, it still looks clean when reach designed mileage.
On the other hand, cabin air filter, I clean it once a week and swap out when it grey out/give muddy smell.

Every 25k kms or so. I do a lot of dirt road driving. I like to occasionally pop open the air box to make sure critters haven’t been up to no good. Sometimes find peanuts or acorns.

I live in a suburb and drive half freeway. Not many miles per year. I find every three years I just replace my air filter and they never look really bad.. too much work to check them. Maybe I am just lazy. But I change my filters every 15 to 25 K mikes in any case. Purolater usually.
Sounds about right to me. Could need more frequent than that in really dusty conditions like my truck frequents on construction sites but my experience in the express lube was that they were good for at least 15k miles. Age can be a factor too...the last one I replaced in my truck was torn at the corner of the rubber seal...so likely leaking dirt past.

Leave it in there until you want to change it. 20k miles if you're in a dusty area, 40k otherwise.

Those of you blowing, vacuuming, or banging out your filters are doing nothing productive. Neither is "inspecting" the filter. They don't become spontaneously clogged.
Any filter that can have some of what it's trapped removed, will last that much longer till clogged too much. You just have to be mindful not to damage it, though after long enough the foam/rubber seal may not be pliable enough to do its job.

Inspection makes perfect sense, considering it's as much the environment as the mileage that makes them due for cleaning or replacement. If you can't tell if it's clean enough to reuse, whether you attempted to clean it or not, then time to replace.

I have fuc*ing chipmunks all over my yard, so I check the airbox about 6 times a year. I HATE FU*KING CHIPMUNKS!
I've had chipmonks around for years but never had any vehicle related issues from them. Mice on the other hand, had a couple vehicles that were sitting longer term, mice nested under the engine covers. The next door neighbors have at least 3 cats that roam regularly but seem poor at their job besides attacking baby birds in spring.

I don’t. Air filters get more effective the longer they are used, loading up. If my mileage or performance changes I’ll look at it. Otherwise I don’t touch it. Current $10 rock auto Chinese filter is well past 100k with no change in performance or mileage. New plugs and belts, all new fluids and valve adjustment…..but no new air filter.

I don’t. Air filters get more effective the longer they are used, loading up. If my mileage or performance changes I’ll look at it. Otherwise I don’t touch it. Current $10 rock auto Chinese filter is well past 100k with no change in performance or mileage. New plugs and belts, all new fluids and valve adjustment…..but no new air filter.
To be more correct here, they get more effective at blocking passage they longer they are used, due to the dirt blocking air flow.

I'm more inclined to believe there is stuff getting through, for no restriction after 100k miles, you're either driving in a clean room, or you're no longer filtering properly.

I've had chipmonks around for years but never had any vehicle related issues from them. Mice on the other hand, had a couple vehicles that were sitting longer term, mice nested under the engine covers. The next door neighbors have at least 3 cats that roam regularly but seem poor at their job besides attacking baby birds in spring.
Pretty much same situation with the cats, but they've been into my wiring harness before. I use a special method to wage war on them.

I use a Wix restriction gauge.
Change the filter when restriction increases by ~5" more than a new filter.
Do an occasional full throttle run to redline to set gauge.
Last change (on previous car) was 43K miles.

In Subarus you can remove the snorkel and see the deity side of the filter. Takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

I use a Wix restriction gauge.
Change the filter when restriction increases by ~5" more than a new filter.
Do an occasional full throttle run to redline to set gauge.
Last change (on previous car) was 43K miles.
Interesting! My Focus has a restriction gauge too, but it comes with a lifetime air filter. My old wagon had 150k miles on the filter when it got smashed and the gauge hadn't moved, so I opened up the filter and it had a bit of stuff in the lower levels but seemed pretty clean at the top so I guess it would've been good for a while yet. The filter and housing is pretty big so I can see why more cars don't bother with a lifetime filter.

Back