How often do you check or replace your air filter ?

I do mine based on the manufactures mileage recommendation. The filters never look bad at all. Since the Volvo only gets 4K miles or less a year put on it, I usually change it out once every five years and the Toyota every thirty thousand miles. The Volvo is so old that Volvo Corp no longer offers a replacement air filter unit. I had to go to a Mann which is probably Volvo's OEM supplier in the first place.

Replace when necessary. I check it based on environmental conditions, time, and mileage. SUV is a bit different than the daily commuters..

The last AF in the Safari was changed out when I started getting a P0102 (Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit Low). 😬 The engine would also act like the key was turned off for a second or two.

I've since installed a WIX 24801 restriction gauge in the filter box instead of relying on the ECM setting a code or seat of the pants diagnosis.

Back in the day when I used to buy Hastings filters for $1, I used to follow manufacturer's recommendations.

Now I replace when needed. This is usually well over 30K where I drive. I let one go to 110K before it tripped a check engine light. It looked okay. But sure enough, you couldn't see light through it.

As a side note, I always take a sharpy and write down the date and odometer reading on a new replacement.

I only check or replace a filter a few days before an oil change. That way any dust that gets past the filter with me messing with it, gets dumped out with the oil in a few days.

I changed the af on my impreza and rav4 once every 2 years. (Wix)

I've owned the crv for 2 years. As soon as I got it I changed the filter. It came with a log book and didnt notice the af being changed, just "cleaned". Probably will do a 2 year change so all 3 cars are changed at the same time.

Leave it in there until you want to change it. 20k miles if you're in a dusty area, 40k otherwise.

Those of you blowing, vacuuming, or banging out your filters are doing nothing productive. Neither is "inspecting" the filter. They don't become spontaneously clogged.
This^. It's like an OCI...once you figure out a good interval for your area, vehicle and driving habits.

Every 15000 miles here.

Every two years on both my primary cars. That two year interval amounts to 20-24k mi. on one of them and about 10-12k mi. on the other. On my old truck, driven about 3-4k yr, twice in 5 years. It's just easier to remember to do two of them both at the same time.

AF replacement every other oil change. If even 1 day off road then next oil change. Service and clean throttle body/injectors and air box/plenum once a season.

I try to check periodically as my vehicles that stay outside tend to get visitors. Otherwise I try to go the manual, although recently I misremembered and took one well past due… to no detriment I should say. Until the throttle can’t be opened further, most won’t notice a restriction.

Every 5 years on every vehicle I service.

On the Freightliner Cummins flatbed I replace based on the restriction gauge. You can't inspect a PowerCore filter since the dirt gets embedded in the 'core' itself.
The shop mechanic insists replacing it every year though.

I live in Northern Indiana and I order my Filter on Ebay during the Winter. So in the Spring in decent weather I change mine. So it`s once a year . It looks pretty clean when I pull the old one out. I could probably go longer but if If I go to the bother of pulling a filter I just as soon change it.

i replace mine every fall, usually the first weekend in september, whether it needs it or not. same with the cabin air filter.

Back