Checking Air Filters

Whenever I check my air filter I end up accidentally touching the clean side of the filter and making it dirty. Like one or two fingerprints. Would you replace the filter after this happened?

I would replace the car.
and move out of the country ...

Seriously, some fingerprints mean nothing. There's no reason to replace the filter.

If your OCD has you concerned about this, wear gloves when installing the filter, and I don't mean that to have any negative connotation. Many of us here are at least somewhat compulsive about caring for our cars.

Last edited:
Here is an idea. Check your engine air filter less often. Leave it alone!

Unless you know you have driven in dirty conditions, such as a lot of dirt roads or dust storms, don't open the filter box until it is due for a change. If the itch is too great, and you just have to check it, leave the filter in place if possible, and only remove the incoming air side of the filter box, and inspect the filter as it sits.

From what I have learned here on BITOG, the only risk of an excessively dirty air filter, will be a loss of power and fuel efficiency. So that could also be used as a measure, if the filter needs to be checked early.

Quit checking the filter! Seriously, you're probably worrying about nothing valuable. Air filters should last a LONG time. And every time you replace or even disturb one you're just inducing more particulate into the airstream.

"This is why early or overly frequent filter changes are not advised because, according to Wake, 90 percent of the lifetime amount of dirt that passes through a filter does so in the first 10 percent of use."

See this article by our own Jim Allen:

Quit checking the filter! Seriously, you're probably worrying about nothing valuable. Air filters should last a LONG time. And every time you replace or even disturb one you're just inducing more particulate into the airstream.
I used to follow this advice, until I discovered a mouse nest in the airbox of one of my vehicles. On another vehicle, I discovered a leaky seal that was allowing dust past the filter. A restriction gauge would have helped detect the mouse nest, but there's no real way to check for a sealing issue without inspecting the clean side of the airbox.

I agree that people change them too often. Mine are still good after 30K.

I once ran an air filter 110K before the computer tripped a code to let me know I have to change it. It looked good, but sure enough I couldn't see light through it.

I used to follow this advice, until I discovered a mouse nest in the airbox of one of my vehicles. On another vehicle, I discovered a leaky seal that was allowing dust past the filter. A restriction gauge would have helped detect the mouse nest, but there's no real way to check for a sealing issue without inspecting the clean side of the airbox.
A sudden decrease in restriction would be grounds to suspect a tear, hole, or seal failure.

A sudden decrease in restriction would be grounds to suspect a tear, hole, or seal failure.
Restriction gauges for airboxes usually don't even register a reading at all until the filter is really dirty. Even if you had a precise gauge, if 90% of the airflow is still going through the filter, the engine could be ingesting 10 times as much dirt, without a very noticeable decrease in pressure.

I put a 3/4" wire screen on the fender opening on my 2022 RAM 1500 Classic a year ago when bought new to keep squirrels out of air box. Don't plan on even looking again for 4 years. Put 6000 miles on in 1 year, so no need. I did the wire mesh trick to wife's 2019 Charger too. Changed that air filter 32,000 miles.

This is the reason to check regularly. Could be full of acorns, chewed through, or (my favorite) full of cat food. I remove and inspect about every other oil change. Quick vac of the airbox and back in it goes.

BTW I do not worry one bit about introducing dirt by doing so. Every modern intake has the dirty side down, so anything that drops off won't get into the intake.

This is the reason to check regularly. Could be full of acorns, chewed through, or (my favorite) full of cat food. I remove and inspect about every other oil change. Quick vac of the airbox and back in it goes. ...
No joke! Once I found the air cleaner housing of my mother's car roughly one-third full of dog food---fortunately all on the dirty side of the filter.

Whenever I check my air filter I end up accidentally touching the clean side of the filter and making it dirty. Like one or two fingerprints. Would you replace the filter after this happened?
No I wouldn't replace it. Wash your hands next time.

Back