How often do you check or replace your air filter ?

Yearly. Some filters allow you to rotate the them so the visibly dirty and cleaner ends are switched, allowing longer runs.

My wife and I just bought a Durango a few weeks ago...we love it! Have you had any issues pop up with yours since you've owned it?
Unfortunately yes, and the dealer service was useless.

EVAP leak due to a plastic emission purge hose cracked at the connection point on top of the intake under the large plastic cover. I recommended to the service dept. to run a smoke test to root cause the leak, they failed to do that and said it was a software issue so they installed the latest software revision. Three days later check engine light came back on. I called at buddie at the assembly plant (JNAP) and he asked an engineer to point me in the right direction, 2nd area I looked I found the crack in the purge hose which was causing the leak. $40 part replacement and I cleared the code with my scanner, no further issues.

The 8.4" Harmon navigation radio screen goes blue and reboots alot, and you lose the back-up camera as well. I paid $125 for the software update they claimed it needed. It didn't do S**t for it. Still does it intermittently. I emailed customer service, nobody wants to root cause issues anymore just plug it in and upgrade the software. that may work occasionally but not always. They said take it back; I said no thanks.

Funny thing is now my sister-in-law's 2019 Durango is doing the same exact thing with the blue screen and rebooting. My opinion is it's not a software issue, it's a hardware issue. My wife's previous 2015 Jeep Cherokee went through three replacement Harmon navigation radios under warranty till we got one that worked w/o issues.

The 3.6L w/ eight speed is a good combo, usually see 22-23mpg average mixed driving. On the highway trips/vacations I've seen a best of 28-29mpg using cruise set around 65-70mph.

Attachments

• Cracked purge hose causing leak.jpg
    Cracked purge hose causing leak.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Cracked purge hose.jpg
    Cracked purge hose.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 12
Unfortunately yes, and the dealer service was useless.

EVAP leak due to a plastic emission purge hose cracked at the connection point on top of the intake under the large plastic cover. I recommended to the service dept. to run a smoke test to root cause the leak, they failed to do that and said it was a software issue so they installed the latest software revision. Three days later check engine light came back on. I called at buddie at the assembly plant (JNAP) and he asked an engineer to point me in the right direction, 2nd area I looked I found the crack in the purge hose which was causing the leak. $40 part replacement and I cleared the code with my scanner, no further issues.

The 8.4" Harmon navigation radio screen goes blue and reboots alot, and you lose the back-up camera as well. I paid $125 for the software update they claimed it needed. It didn't do S**t for it. Still does it intermittently. I emailed customer service, nobody wants to root cause issues anymore just plug it in and upgrade the software. that may work occasionally but not always. They said take it back; I said no thanks.

Funny thing is now my sister-in-law's 2019 Durango is doing the same exact thing with the blue screen and rebooting. My opinion is it's not a software issue, it's a hardware issue. My wife's previous 2015 Jeep Cherokee went through three replacement Harmon navigation radios under warranty till we got one that worked w/o issues.

The 3.6L w/ eight speed is a good combo, usually see 22-23mpg average mixed driving. On the highway trips/vacations I've seen a best of 28-29mpg using cruise set around 65-70mph.
Bummer...hate to hear that. My parents have a 2015 and it's been bulletproof for the most part. Hoping that's our experience too. It's a 2021 GT Plus 2WD.

Gentle vacuuming would be a lot safer---as would leaving it alone. The compressed-air nozzle routine is a proven method of liberating dust that will soon enter the engine.
All depends on which way you blow the air from.

If you blow air from the engine side, then you "clean" the filter.

If you blow air from the outside side, then you'll be liberating dust that will soon enter the engine.

I live in a suburb and drive half freeway. Not many miles per year. I find every three years I just replace my air filter and they never look really bad.. too much work to check them. Maybe I am just lazy. But I change my filters every 15 to 25 K mikes in any case. Purolater usually.
I do it when my maintenance minder tells me to, which is every 20K.

How about holding the filter up too a light source? If sunlight or light source light goes through its still good..if not,time to replace.?

I check it annually and replace it if needed at that time with a visual look. Mileage or time has no bearing on replacement for me.

I usually check it about every 6 months in all my vehicles. Just replaced all of them back in August or September. Except the one in my truck I replaced in 2018 when I bought it and it hasn’t gotten dirty so it’s been the same the whole time.

I replace mine every 15,000 miles. Last time I replaced it was April 2020...but I have only driven 6,000 miles since then due to the pandemic and everything that has gone along with it. At the current rate I won't need to replace it again until November 2022 :ROFLMAO:

Replacing the filter in the Equinox is kind of a minor hassle as it is. The airbox lid is fastened with four bolts. You can use either a metric socket or a Torx bit to remove them. I can never remember the sizes that work for them which slightly delays getting the airbox open. Traditional tension clips would have been a lot faster and easier.

Iirc the book says every 30k miles. Being that I've only put 5k miles on my car over the past two years I'm guessing I'll never change the filter prior to selling the car.

I usually go by the maintenance schedule. However, I'm a little baffled by Mazda's intervals.

If under severe service the guidance is 30K miles. If you're under the "flexible" service, it's 22.5K or 3 years.

Since I've been doing 5K miles OCIs (easier for me to mentally keep track of), I'll have a look at/after the 20K OCI and decide if I want to let it go a while (30K max since I'm under warranty). At a minimum, I'll wait until after the pollen explosion for spring of 2022 though.

Back