how much oil do you keep on hand?

Average of .3 qts of Motorcraft 5W20. Why? That's what's left after I put 5.7 qts into my 2.5L 2014 Fusion. No extra filters to be found in my garage, either.
The excess.3 qts gets used in a variety of ways around the garage.

$400 for 30 gallons of Rotella 5-40 t6 and $430 for 36 gallons of Napa 15-40

Attachments

• 52255D89-70D4-4D2F-B5F0-7CFA97ADB6E5.jpeg
    52255D89-70D4-4D2F-B5F0-7CFA97ADB6E5.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 46
  • F81D44A1-70AB-42C5-8FED-AC623FAECDDF.jpeg
    F81D44A1-70AB-42C5-8FED-AC623FAECDDF.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 46
I’d guess somewhere between 200-300 gallons between engine oil, gear oil, transmission oils, hydraulic fluid and coolant. Several of these are in barrels and 5 gallon buckets. That’s to keep a fleet of tractors, OTR trucks and dump truck running as well as several pieces of heavy equipment. Plus all the family vehicles.

I’d guess somewhere between 200-300 gallons between engine oil, gear oil, transmission oils, hydraulic fluid and coolant. Several of these are in barrels and 5 gallon buckets. That’s to keep a fleet of tractors, OTR trucks and dump truck running as well as several pieces of heavy equipment. Plus all the family vehicles.

How many gallons of oil does your ex concrete truck converted to dump truck hood? Thank You

When I buy oil, I usually buy enough to get over the free shipping threshold (if there is any; depends on web shop). Else about two oil changes worth. If the shop charges shipping, this brings shipping cost/liter down to reasonable levels, while also not blocking to much space (urban apartement = not too much space to waste). Also, I do not want to have ridiculous amounts of oil lying around for a vehicle that I might not even keep long enough.

Current stash:
2 jugs of Mobil Delvac 10w-40 ESP + two oil filters for the Alfa;
9 litres Shell HX7 5w-40 for the e46 (intended as fill-up oil - to my surprise oil level didn't move the last 2000km since last oil change, despite engine being a M54B30, so I may have overdone this a bit)
3 Saab original oil filtres and one air filtres remaining from the previous owner's stash for the 900 v6.

Last edited:
Current stash - 20qts Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 and 11qts Mobil 1 vanilla 5w-30. Mustang takes 10qts per change so it’ll run through it pretty fast, plus I’ll probably throw some of it in the wife’s Nissan Sentra.

Enough for at least 3 changes for each vehicle. Right now I have 24 qts ear marked for my truck (8 qt capacity) 8 qts of QSFS 5w-30, 16 qts of Mobil 1 5w-30. 18 qts ear marked for the wife’s car (6 qt capacity) all Mobil 1 5w-30. 3 loose qts of Mobil 1 5w-30 that aren’t currently ear marked. Both of our vehicles take the same oil filter so I buy them by the case and number each filter. I also always keep a cabin and engine air filter on the shelf for each vehicle.

Walmart had quicksilver high performance 90w marine gear lube on clearance this fall for $3 a qt if I remember correctly. That stuff is generally $15-20 a qt. I got enough for the lower unit on my outboard for the next 8 years.

Usually 3-4 oil changes worth as i change my daily drivers oil every 6 months/5k kms, and my other vehicles annually as they get used only a few times a year but they get driven hard. When something I like comes on sale I buy it. Usually only shell helix ultra and mobil 1.

Anyone run shorter OCIs when they're reserve oil count is high?
I usually do when I’m tempted to run something new. Instead of running the normal 5,000 mile OCI, I might dump it around 3,500 or 4,000 to try the “new stuff”.

I have 16 five galloon jugs of Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 being stored at room temperature.

Last edited:
I usually keep about 5 quarts of oil in the garage.

• 1 quart of Amsoil SS 0w20
• 1 quart of Amsoil SS 5w20
• 1.5 quart of Valvoline EP 5w30
• 1 quart of Amsoil 20w50 for the Harley
• 0.5 quarts of Idemitsu Zepro 0w20

Why do I have this many little bits of different oils? I don’t know. I just like to try different oils. My 3.5 Ecoboost takes 6.5 quarts, the Mazda takes 4 quarts, and the Harley takes 3 quarts so I always never use all the oil I buy. I like to buy 5 quart jugs, because it’s cheaper, and that’s why I have this many little bits of oils just hanging out in the garage. I guess it’s good if I have to top off the engine with oil, but none of my cars burn any noticeable amounts of oil.

Back