how much oil do you keep on hand?

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but this one seemed to be the most recent. In the long past I had (what I thought) a small hoard of oil. Back in 2012 I bought every single Free AR G-Oil I could get my hands on. It was alot but still small potatoes. I burned through it over the years and kept about 6-8 5 quart jugs on hand. I seemed to miss most other oil clearances for the next several years, however I plan on being on much higher alert now.

I just acquired 110 Qts of Total Quartz, mostly 5w30, which is by far the bulk of what I currently have.
A few weeks prior I bought a 13 Qt bulk box of Supertech 0w20, and 5w30 each.
I have probably 3 jugs of PP, 2 more on order for the $20 rebate.
2 jugs of Vavoline 5w30 synthetic blend,
roughly 10 quarts of Quaker State synthetic.
roughly 7 quarts of Rotella T6 5w40. This is the oldest and will be used probably in my GX.
about 2 quarts left of conventional 5w30 castrol that I use exclusively for my lawn mower or setting small fires. just kidding.

Here is a photo of my shelf that I just organized, there is probably inventory I missed. I think I will draw this down over the next 5 years with my hobby of buying 2-4 auction cars a year and maintaining my personal fleet. I've been away from this community for years, but glad to be back.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
If you really want to go down the oil rabbit hole, and who doesn’t? On sale oil is good and that’s how I started but then I started buying 2nd hand oil. Unopened new oil from people who, for whatever reason aren’t going to use it or don’t want it anymore. I set a limit of $2 a quart and let me tell you at over 100 gallons I had to quit looking! Now my goal is to outlive my supply! This is just a few of my finds, I’ll post more pics when I get home

Attachments

• IMG_6057.jpeg
    IMG_6057.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 47
Currently way more than my last post in this thread lol. I keep inventory now.

0W-20 16 quarts on hand currently
5W-20 16 quarts on hand currently
5W-30 12 quarts on hand currently
10W-30 10 quarts on hand currently
10W-40 37 quarts on hand currently
20W-50 6 quarts on hand currently
15W-40 5 gallons on hand currently

Just purchased more 0W-20 today at work which is included in the 16 quarts. I have tons of 10W-40 because when Walmart closed out the Castrol GTX 10W-40 I stocked up and cleaned out every store so that’s just what’s left. I have pictures of my stash but too many to post in one post here lol.

Currently way more than my last post in this thread lol. I keep inventory now.

0W-20 16 quarts on hand currently
5W-20 16 quarts on hand currently
5W-30 12 quarts on hand currently
10W-30 10 quarts on hand currently
10W-40 37 quarts on hand currently
20W-50 6 quarts on hand currently
15W-40 5 gallons on hand currently

Just purchased more 0W-20 today at work which is included in the 16 quarts. I have tons of 10W-40 because when Walmart closed out the Castrol GTX 10W-40 I stocked up and cleaned out every store so that’s just what’s left. I have pictures of my stash but too many to post in one post here lol.
I’d like to get my hands on some API SP 10W40 cheap. I’m sitting on 200L of engine oil and another 100L of “other”. ATF, gear, 2 stroke and chainsaw chain oil.

One and a half years worth, filters too.

The amount of oil you have on hand means squat because of multiple factors such as vehicle capacity and frequency of changes, among others.

18 months is severe use for me but I could easily stretch that to 24.

I’d like to get my hands on some API SP 10W40 cheap. I’m sitting on 200L of engine oil and another 100L of “other”. ATF, gear, 2 stroke and chainsaw chain oil.
I believe mine is still SN+ it’s the older one with the black strip that says 10W-40 if I remember correctly the newer 10W-40 GTX has a light green strip on the white bottles. I’ll check tomorrow and see. Majority of it is 1 quart bottles.

I keep a few changes worth of the Baldwin filters I use and one change of oil for my F150. I'm close enough to Wally World that picking up a few quarts of oil for the rest of the fleet isn't an issue.

My engine sump requires two gallons. I generally keep enough for two oil changes, and a dozen filters. Since I purchase designer oil, it gets kind of pricey to stock much more than that. 🫤

I currently have six various five quart jugs to handle four different vehicles.
My Hyundai
Wife's Kia
Daughter's GMC
Grandson's Colorado 4X4

By mid-winter, all of em' will be drinking 0w40. All of em' see 3.5k OCIs.
When I try to extend one of em' to 4k OCI, I toss & turn all night and can't sleep....;)

Last edited:
Back