how many miles on your euro-sled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigjl
The A5/B5 oils are what has been running nearly every petrol and diesel Ford in the UK for going on for Twenty years.

Not sure about rest of Europe.

My old Mondeo was on over 250k when the mate i sold it to got rid. Original turbo. My V50 i just sold had over 150k on it, original turbo.

Both had been driven to Scotland and back several times. I travel in the quiet times to avoid traffic. I also tend to do the first 380 miles without a stop.

There are lots of Ford and Volvo fars around Europe with big miles.

It is also now in the Pathfinder, worshop manual confirmed i can run B5, Mobil Super3000 X1 FE also has low saps at 0.8 so safe for the dpf.

Got an extra 0.6mpg out of it in the same duties it has always done.

Not a miracle but any improvment on 22.3mpg is handy.

It will easily do 35mpg on a long run at a steady 70odd.

I would be more concerned using a 5w20 than an A5/B5 5w30.

Why?

Not sure. Just my opinion.

A5/B5 are well tested oils in Europe.

It is interesting how two groups of engineers on different sides of the pond can come up with different ideas to solve a similar issue, improved economy.

That is Ford and Volvo.
Opel for example in Insignia is using 5W40 in Germany, in the U.S. in Buick regal (same car more or less, same engine) is using 5W30 Acea A5.

The old Audi had a nice cheap water pump and timing belt. The labour was a little high, mind you, but not as much as subsequent models.

As for North America missing interesting vehicles, we definitely miss a lot of nifty European options.

202,000 miles and change on the 2004 Audi A6. A few Castrol dealership changes while under warranty, mostly M1 0W-40 thereafter at 5k to 7.5k OCI. I've used M1 TDT a couple of times, next OC will be T6.

'99 VW Passat 1.8T Tip with 176,000 mi. Bought new.

Valvoline dino(free dealer service) up to 25,000 with 5,000 mi. OCI. Valvoline Synpower 5W 40 thru 130,000 or so mi. with 9,000 mi. OCI.
Valvoline Synpower 5W 30 up to now with 6-8,000 mi. OCI which is annually. Local garage uses this weight so stuck with it however now using a quart every 1,000 miles. Might switch to a 40 weight.
Original tranny fluid too!

In November 2012 I purchased a Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor 2000 with 165,000 km, I immediately changed the oil entering the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 Filter Mann, now the car has 173,000 km, I think I change the oil at around 177 thousand miles, I would like to put something more subtle, but I do not know what yet.

Our 2000 C230 Kompressor just turned over 76,208 miles. It is about 14 1/2 years old. It has been fed a pretty steady diet of 0W-40 Mobil 1 Oil. It will have less than 2,000 miles on its current oil fill when it comes due for its June oil change. I am most likely going to change it out this mid-April 2014, to sync it with the oil changes on our new 2013 Yaris L. It will be easier for me to remember when they come due, but I doubt I'll ever forget. The Benz is pretty mint, averaging only 5,200 miles per year. Always manage to get it up to full operating temperature a few times a week. It has been a very reliable car with only a few minor things go out or need replacement (other than routine filters & fluid changes) Absolutely no leaks, looks clean as a whistle looking through the oil fill. We love it, it's very solid and an excellent road car.

394,000 miles 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D (conventional oil)
(totaled by insurance, got KBB less deductible, by a large pac mule on a back county road by another driver) She still had a lot of miles left in her. The damage was mostly cosmetic, she drove back home after the incident, but the hood and fenders looked like crumpled newspaper. 10,000 OCI

324,000 miles 1999 Mercedes-Benz E300 (Mostly Mobil 1 0-40) FSS recommended indicator oil changes at around 14,000 miles give or take 1,000

405,000 miles 1989 Mercedes-Benz 190D (always a different motor oil, basically what is the best that is on sale) accidentally ran out of oil 30,000 miles ago on a 105* hot august day stuck in traffic when the oil pressure sender blew out the crimp on the sheet metal and was leaking a quart every 100 miles in a pressure spray, Lightly drove it about 15 miles with 0 to 2 psi oil pressure to the nearest store with oil. On the next oil change after the incident I did cut open and examine between all of the pleats in the oil filter paper for any signs of anything shiny. None to be found. Amazing science of high strength steel forged, nitrate hardened, and chrome plated parts when combined with accumulated anti-wear additive coating. 10,000 OCI usually

380,000 miles 1987 Mercedes-Benz 300SDL (Delo 400 SAE 30 or 15w40) whichever is on sale. So smooth at idle you can balance a nickel on end on the valve cover

All cars except the 240D and the E300, do have approximately 50,000 to 100,000 miles of extra undocumented miles due to periods of time where the odometer was not working due to the old tiny plastic gear in them.

All are still driven daily or weekly except for the one that was totaled.

Quality isn't something Mercedes takes lightly. The 3.5 liter engine around 1990-1991 did suffer from a head gasket issue that usually lead to micro hydro-locking and slightly bent rods. Aside from this I always thought the Diesel engine division took care of business when it came to making sure that there were no compromises as far as any skimping on hardening, balancing, plating, matching/pairing parts, and generally not skimping anywhere.

The demise of any of these cars is usually age of rubber or plastic.

2000 Boxster 2.7l. I bought it with 115k miles, now has 142k miles. Still revs like all get out. I change the oil around 3-4 k, have used mostly M1 0-40 and occasionally Castrol 5-40.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: bigjl

I think the US is missing a trick in not selling the 3.0d as it goes like stink.

I doubt there will ever be a diesel Jaguar here. I probably wouldn't buy one ( or any other diesel passenger car, for that matter ).

Blasphemy! You must drive my 335d. Especially at 80+ mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back