High wear metal in bmw N57

Hi all,

I’ve recently had an oil report done on an n57 3.0 twin turbo diesel. The numbers have come back worryingly high. I also think the oil may have 20k + miles it as well (got to love the European servicing).

Can any of you guys offer thoughts?

All readings PPM
Iron 250
Chromium 7
Alu 47
Moly 96
Copper 27
Lead 0
Tin 3
Nickel 13
Silicone 20
Sodium 4
Boron 28
Vanadium 0

The total insoluble matter was 2.2% which I assume to be soot from the longer oil run.

I’m pretty worried, have since flushed and changed the oil. I plan on sampling at 1k miles to see if there is a (hopefully) lower reading of ppm / thousand miles.

What are your thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks guys,

Yeah car got a full major service, air filter / cabin filter, oil, brake fluid etc.

It’s the iron / alu that scares me. I’m worried that the engine is sick.

Can you post a screenshot of the oil analysis? How many miles were on the oil when this sample was taken?
I’m not sure as the service history isn’t clear. I’d wager it went the full 18k miles maybe a little more as that’s what bmw Europe deem correct.

The air filter filter was really nasty which also makes me think it’s been a while since serviced.

IMG_3538.jpeg

Pretty high for a diesel. No kv100 viscosity but 54cst at kv40 is very low.

15w-40 will typically have a kv100 of 14.5 with a kv40 of 110cst.

0w-40 will typically have a kv100 of 13cst with a kv40 of 72cst

Definitely use something a lot thicker, whatever is in it is way too thin. I'd use full synthetic 15w-40 and change frequently.

I wonder if an injector is puking and thinning the oil out.

Irons is around 13 ppm/ 1k miles (18k mile OCI). Definitely monitor.

Is this the 30d or 35d? Tuned? We don't have a lot of N57 owners on this board let alone owners who've posted a UOA but you may be able to find some on BMW centric forums. I performed a cursory look but the site was down for maintenance.

Tuned N57's are known to crack their piston crowns but I'd imagine you'd notice that.

Viscosity is way down in the range of a 20 grade which is a huge red flag.

Only use LL04 oils in this engine.

it’s a 35d and think a stage 1 tune, nothing crazy. Car seems fine , no noises, no abnormal fluid consumption.

I think the oil is crazy thin and full of soot as it’s been in for too long (previous owner).

I assume the numbers are not indicating an immediate failure?

it’s a 35d and think a stage 1 tune, nothing crazy. Car seems fine , no noises, no abnormal fluid consumption.

I think the oil is crazy thin and full of soot as it’s been in for too long (previous owner).

I assume the numbers are not indicating an immediate failure?
Other than having the old oil filter or opening the filter cap to see if a glitter bomb went off inside it I don't think anyone can diagnose an impending failure.

The UOA didn't find any fuel so my guess is that the prior owner used LL12FE and went too long.

Last edited:
I suspect that the oil's been in the engine far too long. I'd guess it was a Euro 0W-30, which would typically start out at 60-65 cST at 40 C.

I wouldn't bother doing a UOA at 1k on this fill, since most of what it'll show is just left over wear metals from the old oil that was still in the engine after the oil was changed, and it will be difficult to interpret the results. Do a short OCI, then get a UOA done on the next fill. Look into the oil filler cap for signs of sludge, and cut open the oil filter when you change the oil.

Other than having the old oil filter or opening the filter cap to see if a glitter bomb went off inside it I don't think anyone can diagnose an impending failure.

The UOA didn't find any fuel so my guess is that the prior owner used LL12FE and went too long.
What does "n/a" mean? To me it means it was not tested. Even if it was I would want to know the ASTM method. This oil could have significant fuel contamination.

Very curious to know what oil this is (though I appreciate that we'll likely never know), as, at first blush, it looks like an API SN 0W-30.

I put zero faith in UOA results, unless it is a long term trend monitoring program. The results are not telling you what created the metals. Nor are they out of line for a thin oil in a extended drain interval situation.

Flush it out, use more robust oil, and change much more frequently. If you choose to do UOA in the future, monitor the results over time.

Did you inspect the oil filter?

I took a high boost engine apart that had 225PPM Pb and 250PPM Fe for reasons unrelated to the UOA results. You know what I found? Nothing that would create the high lead and iron. The crankshaft, block, cams and followers were all reused without rework or problems of any kind, being in new condition.

What does "n/a" mean? To me it means it was not tested. Even if it was I would want to know the ASTM method. This oil could have significant fuel contamination.
not applicable. Either they didn't test for it or none was found but ya there are some unknowns. It could be mechanical shear from the long oci but we're just guessing off imperfect information.

not applicable. Either they didn't test for it or none was found but ya there are some unknowns. It could be mechanical shear from the long oci but we're just guessing off imperfect information.
Yes, just cuing off your statement that "The UOA didn't find any fuel" which is not certain given the lack of information that you note.

Back