2008 BMW M3, BMW TwinPower Turbo 10W-60, 5953 mi

Previous UOA here.

154112 miles on the engine at the time of this sample.

One HPDE right at the beginning of the OCI. Nothing else worth noting, as far as I remember.

Wear Metals

Iron - 5
Chromium - 0
Nickel - 0
Aluminum - 4
Copper - 2
Lead - 0
Tin - 1
Cadmium - 0
Silver - 0
Vanadium - 0

Particle Quantifier (PQ) Index - 12

Contaminant Metals

Silicon - 5
Sodium - 2
Potassium - 0

Multi-Source Metals

Titanium - 41
Molybdenum - 166
Antimony - 0
Manganese - 0
Lithium - 0
Boron - 27

Additive Metals

Magnesium - 20
Calcium - 2534
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 743
Zinc - 883

Other Contaminants

Fuel Dilution - 1.9% (GC)
Soot - Water -

Fluid Properties

Viscosity @ 100º C - 19.6 cSt
TBN - 4.79
Oxidation - 14
Nitration - 11

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11.41.18 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11.41.18 AM.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 33
Previous UOA here.

154112 miles on the engine at the time of this sample.

One HPDE right at the beginning of the OCI. Nothing else worth noting, as far as I remember.

Wear Metals

Iron - 5
Chromium - 0
Nickel - 0
Aluminum - 4
Copper - 2
Lead - 0
Tin - 1
Cadmium - 0
Silver - 0
Vanadium - 0

Particle Quantifier (PQ) Index - 12

Contaminant Metals

Silicon - 5
Sodium - 2
Potassium - 0

Multi-Source Metals

Titanium - 41
Molybdenum - 166
Antimony - 0
Manganese - 0
Lithium - 0
Boron - 27

Additive Metals

Magnesium - 20
Calcium - 2534
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 743
Zinc - 883

Other Contaminants

Fuel Dilution - 1.9% (GC)
Soot - Water -

Fluid Properties

Viscosity @ 100º C - 19.6 cSt
TBN - 4.79
Oxidation - 14
Nitration - 11
3 liters of make up oil? Am I reading that correctly?

Overall the wear looks good but note the added oil will dilute the oil a bit but still doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary other than perhaps some moderate oil consumption. 1 L per 2k is ok not great but ok. Surprised they marked the visc. since this is a 10w-60 oil. Titanium is put into some oils on the market but I don't think it's common.

Surprised they marked the visc. since this is a 10w-60 oil. Titanium is put into some oils on the market but I don't think it's common.
Pretty sure they're marking it because it's a grade low.

This engine has no Ti in it, so probably safe to say Ti is indeed an additive here..

Pretty sure they're marking it because it's a grade low.

This engine has no Ti in it, so probably safe to say Ti is indeed an additive here..
Interesting, While I don't know much about 10w-60 oils the visc. being 19.6 is some darn thick oil & you should be well protected. (y)

Interesting, While I don't know much about 10w-60 oils the visc. being 19.6 is some darn thick oil & you should be well protected. (y)
Can't blame you. 10W-60 isn't exactly a super-relevant spec!

This particular 10W-60 is especially niche; BMW only specs it for 3 engines, and it's literally the only oil they say is appropriate for those engines.

Can't blame you. 10W-60 isn't exactly a super-relevant spec!

This particular 10W-60 is especially niche; BMW only specs it for 3 engines, and it's literally the only oil they say is appropriate for those engines.
That's great they came out with a solution to this engine's needs. Thanks for sharing

I know consumption is higher than avg with the S65 but 3 liters seems like a lot of make up oil over 6k miles and 1 track day.
Yep.

It came to me consuming 1 L every 1500-1800 mi, stabilizing on the higher end of that range as I drove it. Previous owner had apparently used a different 10W-60; I used the BMW stuff.

Immediately after I changed the valve cover gaskets, consumption decreased to 1 L / ~3000 mi. I did a lot of very easy highway driving on those OCIs, though, so that might have been a factor.

Either way, consumption has gradually increased since then until stabilizing around its current level. Over that time, a couple more oil leaks have been found and fixed, but those didn't seem to change things much. Right now it seems there are no significant leaks, nor am I getting any visible smoke from the tailpipes, so... 🤷‍♂️

Back