Does one need a Euro-speced oil?

If you are going to put something in quotes you need to actually be quoting something
it doesn't... but it meets Jap car requirement... and EDDYVW was trying to make the point that it doesn't cost more to service a Euro car oil when most people who deal with the stuff know it usually costs more to service European cars.

In general every part for them is more expensive.. just the way it is..
Is that better now?

So, That’s the producers/ blenders of oils for eu market just pay certificate for each brand. And when you see a huge number of approvals - that “ s good oil I can run it for 2 years and 30 000 km (Vw).
I think for American market the oil companies, just save some money for certificate, approvals because until recently users respect the rule “3 000 miles” change.

I don't know but VW is very specific about the oil I should put in my GTI. So I do it.
VW/Audi also specs VW508.00, 0W20 for many newer cars. Lots of folks refuse to use it for whatever reasons (CAFE, aversion to thin oils etc) and use a non-spec'd (for their car) VW Approval. Regardless of the alternative having a VW approval, it isn't technically what VW specified for their car. Like my Passat when I used VW504 at times. It specifically only listed VW508.00 be used.

Last edited:
It's a US thing. BMW are sold and equipped as luxury sports sedans/SAV etc. They're all sold with a premium price.

No cloth seats
No manual climate controls
No low powered I4's.
That’s just marketing to appeal to Americans.

It’s the same brand and the same cars.

Just because Americans think BMW is some special premium sport luxury brand doesn’t mean they are.

No better built than anything else and have more issues than the Fanboys might suggest.

It does seem the Lease something beyond your budget, neglect it then hand it back is popular in the USA

They don’t sell as many low spec BMWs in the UK as you might expect.

Still doesn’t make them some fancy luxury sports brand.

If anything Renaults and PSA Group cars are much more highly specced in the UK than they are typically in France.

Doesn’t make Renault or PSA Group high end luxury sports brand.

They are still Renault and PSA Group, it’s simply that buyers in the UK want all the toys in their midrange hatchback.

Whereas in France they prefer a more utilitarian spec.

Probably a good idea with French electrics.

Last edited:
VW/Audi also specs VW508.00, 0W20 for many newer cars. Lots of folks refuse to use it for whatever reasons (CAFE, aversion to thin oils etc) and use a non-spec'd (for their car) VW Approval. Regardless of the alternative having a VW approval, it isn't technically what VW specified for their car. Like my Passat when I used VW504 at times. It specifically only listed VW508.00 be used.
You can use alternative oils in VAG cars specced for 508/509

But only up to a litre, once per oil change interval to top up.

I had to add some to my daughter’s Q2, as is the norm she phoned me up late at night so couldn’t get oil anywhere but a Petrol Station, luckily they had Mobil 1 ESP, think it was 5W30

I think most of the smaller petrol engines in VAGs use the 508/509 oil

I doubt CAFE or Emissions is the only reason, the 1.5Tfsi has always used 508/509, you invalidate the Warranty on your engine if you don’t

Which is different to BMW in my experience.

My dealer (and BMW Assist Technicians) use 0w30 to LL04

Not LL12 or LL17 even if the car is specced for it.

Is that due to cost?

Or is the LL12/LL17 spec purely for Emissions and it may potentially not
protect the engine aswell as the older LL04?

It might be something to do with the extended Service Intervals we have in Europe?

Which also vary slightly due to usage

I have driven 745Le that have just been serviced and show next Service due in 20000miles

The interval between the 1st and 2nd service was 18000 miles, after the 3rd service the interval is now 19000miles

I am tempted to change the oil to LL17 at the half way point of this service interval to see if LL17 makes any difference to economy.

There is no way I am running LL17 for more than 7/8000 miles

Is that better now?

You were the one making things up and trying to put words in peoples mouths.

Not me.

You were literally trying to make out somebody was saying something that was Racist.

When they never even said what you quoted them as saying.

You realise that is misinformation?

is it rpm per se, or bearing speed? for pontiac v8 engines, there seems to be a consensus that the small journal engines can handle more RPM than the large journal engines engines.

It would be bearing speed for the heating in the bearings, rpm for the heating on the cylinder skirts and turbo (turbo rpm in this case) and load for heating on the underside of the pistons and ring lands/head

You were the one making things up and trying to put words in peoples mouths.

Not me.

You were literally trying to make out somebody was saying something that was Racist.

When they never even said what you quoted them as saying.

You realise that is misinformation?
I quoted exactly what he said as you requested. You realize your misinformation?

Get a grip man.

That’s just marketing to appeal to Americans.

It’s the same brand and the same cars.

Just because Americans think BMW is some special premium sport luxury brand doesn’t mean they are.

No better built than anything else and have more issues than the Fanboys might suggest.

It does seem the Lease something beyond your budget, neglect it then hand it back is popular in the USA

They don’t sell as many low spec BMWs in the UK as you might expect.

Still doesn’t make them some fancy luxury sports brand.

If anything Renaults and PSA Group cars are much more highly specced in the UK than they are typically in France.

Doesn’t make Renault or PSA Group high end luxury sports brand.

They are still Renault and PSA Group, it’s simply that buyers in the UK want all the toys in their midrange hatchback.

Whereas in France they prefer a more utilitarian spec.

Probably a good idea with French electrics.

Curious as to what you would consider a luxury sports car? If BMW isn't then neither is Audi or Mercedes Benz.

Curious as to what you would consider a luxury sports car? If BMW isn't then neither is Audi or Mercedes Benz.

I don’t consider either brand to be anything special.

And have owned both.

Quite like my daughters Q2 but they are just a standard VAG product.

You can’t say BMW is a premium sports brand.

They make some nice cars, M3, M4 etc.

But you have people driving around in a poverty spec 3 Series in the belief they are something special because they are in a BMW

When the person they look down on driving some random Renault has a car that’s better specced and better to drive.

And have owned both.

But you have people driving around in a poverty spec 3 Series in the belief they are something special because they are in a BMW

When the person they look down on driving some random Renault has a car that’s better specced and better to drive.
Again, what would you consider a luxury sports sedan?

Ford makes "poverty spec" versions of the Mustang, that doesn't stop the people that buy them from acting like they have a GT500. You see that in any segment where there's a range of vehicles on the same chassis, a certain group is bound to buy the base model and then pretend it's something far more than it is.

BMW makes some very luxurious sports saloons. No, their whole product line isn't that, but they do tend to make very upscale versions of every one.

An M3 or M5 is absolutely a luxury sports sedan. That doesn't mean that a base 3-series is, but it does mean that BMW does produce those vehicles, which fit that definition.

And have owned both.

Here is the thing with M3 and let's say 330.
Chasis is already built with M3/4 in mind. There is no afterthought where the manufacturer wants to bump image or sale by introducing something "sportier." On "poor people" BMW, you get all the connections etc. like on M3. Suspension is already designed with M3/4 engines in mind, brake cooling ducts (99% of cars do not have proper brake cooling ducts, including VW GTI and most Audi's), etc. Whether a vehicle has cloth seats or leather is another issue, but the definition of a luxury vehicle is far deeper than that.

My mother has a 2013 Sportwagen, CJAA TDI. It has over 400,000 miles on it and has almost never been run on a 504/507 oil since it had 20,000 miles on it. It's run Delo 600 ADF 15w40, Rotella T6 15w40, RLI 15w40, Mobil 1 FS X2 5W50, Mobil 1 Supercar 5W50, and Caterpillar 0W40. It has always burned oil using a 504/507 spec oil and doesn't burn oil using the thicker stuff. Never had issues from the DPF that were related either. Oil ash numbers always normal for the amount of miles. Did have a cracked DPF once but that was unrelated.

You've touched on the other side of the coin: why not run Euro-speced oil in Japanese and American cars, and those using API oils? I've been thinking of doing just that in the Camry when I use up my current stash.
I run Euro spec oils in Subaru's and have run them in Toyota and Honda, never any issues in fact the Honda 3.5 saw real improvements in maintaining cleanliness. Right now I use the Castrol 0w30 A3/B4 In the Subaru and Castrol 0w40 A3/B4 in the Saab and VW engines after Mobil 1 thickened their 0w40 and the ESP 5w30 showed more darkening (in a recent new engine with no deposit build up) and lower hot idle oil pressure after 1500 miles, I cant say for sure but it seems like the ESP was breaking down.
After almost 3000 miles the Castrol 0w30 is averaging 0.3 mpg improvement on the onboard display (meaningless I know but just an observation. The spec look pretty impressive for a retail albeit not inexpensive (0w30) oil.

Again, what would you consider a luxury sports sedan?
to tell you the truth, when i think of a luxury sports sedan then my mind goes to a jaguar, a Bentley, a Maserati ..yes there is a 7,8,6 maybe series that are somehow luxury ,but in my mind a luxury car , a sport or not is something with a heritage behind, you know its as expensive as an exotic sport car , has handcrafted leather ,real wood interior e.t.c .
so in that case for me, bmws are sports cars but not luxury, imitation of luxury i would say:D

Back