How many "CATERHAM BLEND" users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The purpose of the Caterham Blend is to save fuel by reducing viscosity at startup. Wear is at best a secondary consideration.

Has anyone been able to calculate the fuel savings directly resulting from the blend? I read some of the UOA reports but haven't read much on the fuel savings aspect. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's been quoted (unsubstantiated) at either "huge", or 4%...

Thanks, I must have missed that.

A_H not just to save fuel, but to have a more optimized, less excessive viscosity on start-up allowing for more power and improved cold driveability plus the added benefit of a higher HTHSV (for a given viscosity at normal operating temp's) if one is going with a lighter version of the blend. All the usual advantages of a higher VI oil.

Or to put in lay terms, what's not to like about a 0W-30 that's lighter than all 5W-20s even at room temperature start-ups with the high temp' protection of a 30 grade oil? The inherent advantage seems like a no-brainer to me.

The purpose of the Caterham Blend is to save fuel by reducing viscosity at startup. Wear is at best a secondary consideration.

Well that would explain why Caterham recommended 0W-30 to a guy who lives in South Florida. (Who on earth needs 0W in a tropical climate???) That blend provides more viscosity-modifying additives & less oil (more wear) in order to achieve such a wide VI.

I still want to try my proprietary Toyota/Mobil 0W-20 blend. The best of both oils? Or worse performance?

Originally Posted By: blackman777

Well that would explain why Caterham recommended 0W-30 to a guy who lives in South Florida. (Who on earth needs 0W in a tropical climate???) That blend provides more viscosity-modifying additives & less oil (more wear) in order to achieve such a wide VI.

I still want to try my proprietary Toyota/Mobil 0W-20 blend. The best of both oils? Or worse performance?

More wisdom from Blackman I see.
No matter what the ambient temps are a 0w will typically flow faster,and achieve optimal viscosity faster than a thicker counterpart which may or may not make a real world difference in wear and/or fuel economy.
As far as those "adds" that reduce the actual amount of oil in a bottle that comment is rediculous.
Those additives are essential in a modern oil.
Why don't you try out an engine oil with no additives and pure oil,let us know how long the engine lasts.

Toyota specifically advises NOT to use the 0w-30 oil in their Prius G1 (you're only supposed to use 5w-20 or 5w-30). Clearly the #1 carmaker feels 0W might cause some damage, and therefore not acceptable

Toyota specifically advises NOT to use the 0w-30 oil in their Prius G1

Really!
So why don't you post what you think you've read from Toyota for the rest of us to see?
Take your time, I'm not holding my breath.

In the absence of a breath holding smilie, I'll use popcorn...

35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

I am not holding my breath and Popcorn is hard to digest, however I am waiting for Caterham to get one of the major oil blenders to produce the "Caterham Blend" and named as such since its touted to compete or be a superior grade to those readily available.

Maybe even with an OEM builders approval to top it off.

Merry Christmas to all.

Last edited:
How many times do I have to post this chart? It shows no green dot for the Prius G1 (2001-03) which means no 0W-20 allowed. Or 0w-30. Or 0W-xx. Per Toyota's own recommendations, only 5w-20 or 5w-30 is to be used.

Toyota%20Oil%20Chart.JPG

Last edited:
Your statement is not correct. They do not recommend using it, but they don't "not" advise it. The two are not the same thing. A lack of a recommendation is not necessarily a warning.

And worse, your statement that it "might cause some damage" is a non-sequitur. Your conclusion is not based on facts - a non-recommendation does not imply that they feel it might cause damage. There are a whole host of possible reasons they did not recommend it, ranging from they just didn't feel like recommending it, to they didn't feel like putting the engineering and testing resources into recommending it, to yes, for some reason it might be undesirable. And a million others I don't even know. But to conclude it causes damage is not correct based on that chart.

Toyota specifically advises NOT to use the 0w-30 oil in their Prius G1 (you're only supposed to use 5w-20 or 5w-30). Clearly the #1 carmaker feels 0W might cause some damage, and therefore not acceptable

Toyota does "not" recommend an engine flush, but that doesn't make it okay. Since I don't see it listed as a recommendation, I won't use either the flush or 0W-xx oil. See this video: http://youtu.be/MsLKNdebB6Q

There HAS to be a reason why Toyota said 0W-20 is okay for Prius G2 and G3, but not the G1 (instead listing 5W-20 or 30). Maybe they discovered the 0W-xx weight is too thin and causes damage. I'm not going to recommend a grade that Toyota found unacceptable

Originally Posted By: hummdrumm
Is there any benefit to blending Mobil 1 0w20 and 0w40?

If you like a little thinner at operating temperature than M1 0W30, you mix 70% 0W20 with 30% 0W40. If you like a little thicker than M1 0W30, you mix 40% 0W20 with 60% 0W40. You get higher VI with either mix.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I wonder what would happen if you just bought a jug of Mobil 1 0w30? Lousy UOA?

While the M1 0w-30 might not be up to Caterham's standards in the first place, it's not even sold up here. I told him to use Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 HDEO all on its own, but he won't listen.
wink.gif

If someone really believes they can out engineer these and other companies by mixing a little of this that and other in the basement IMHO they are living in another world.

I believe the reason for the "blend" was lack of Mobile 1 0w-30 being sold in Canada at the time. Not "out-engineering" anyone. IIRC the goal was finding something similar that lubricates quicker in cold temps.

Originally Posted By: nepadriver

If someone really believes they can out engineer these and other companies by mixing a little of this that and other in the basement IMHO they are living in another world.

I believe the reason for the "blend" was lack of Mobile 1 0w-30 being sold in Canada at the time. Not "out-engineering" anyone. IIRC the goal was finding something similar that lubricates quicker in cold temps.

Yeah a tune/song has been written for mixing a little bit of this with a little bit of that click onto the link below.

[color:#FF6666]http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/L...8256BF800227846[/color]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: nepadriver

Yeah a tune/song has been written for mixing a little bit of this with a little bit of that click onto the link below.

[color:#FF6666]http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/L...8256BF800227846[/color]

Contradiction, yes. If a readily available substitute existed for them. If none was available, you'd want the closest substitute with good properties, as best as you can discern.

I'd recommend using the manufacturer recommendation for your region. If none existed or was easily available, your engine won't blow up using a "blended" 0w-30 instead of 5w-30 for a winter OCI.

People have been pouring any oil off the shelf into their engines for 50-60 years for top off etc, creating "blends", to my knowledge no engine blew up. If your goal is ultimate compliance for warranty, then don't do it. I don't, unless it was out of warranty and I had no choice (stuck on roadside etc, nothing else available). I think the reaction people have here is pretty funny to it however.

I have it in my Corvette and it's never run better. It has also significantly reduced, in fact almost eliminated, my cold startup lifter tapping since installing a high lift cam. The lifter tapping was my primary reason to try an oil that was far lighter at startup than the M1 5w and 10w-30 I had been using, and the results are better than I was expecting. I no longer have to idle the car for a minute or so waiting for the lifters to pump up, it's ready to drive by the time I roll out of the driveway.

The engine also revs much more freely and is more responsive when rev-matching shifts. This is true even at temperature.

I wouldn't expect someone with a commuter car and automatic transmission to feel the same results since the slush box isolates them from the engine. In this manual transmission Vette that I've driven over 100k miles on since '04, the difference is very noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back