How many "CATERHAM BLEND" users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course many know I've done it, posted a few UOAs. I do track my fuel mileage regularly and didn't notice any difference.

What I don't understand is all the hate. I really couldn't care less what anyone else wants to put in their cars, I'm not sure why others do. And all of the smarter than the engineers stuff....really? I bet people have been mixing different oils in engines since engines and oils have been around. Would be interesting to see how many engine failures have been the result, wouldn't it?
Yet mixing with a purpose and some research is bad? And clearly those of us that do or have think we are super geniuses and smarter than the car and oil engineers? Whatever.

If you want to try it, try it. If you don't like it, let it go!

I always wonder how many people who give "advice" here have actually open up a engine !

Last year I have done a UOA on the Caterham blend....14200km. The results were excellent! In Canada with our cold winter, this blend is an excellent choice.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
I always wonder how many people who give "advice" here have actually open up a engine !
Last year I have done a UOA on the Caterham blend....14200km. The results were excellent!

You might be surprised. Myself in over 40 years in the business its in the many thousands of different engines.
A single UOA is IMHO meaningless as far as determining wear goes, a totally blown engine can still produce a good UOA.

How do you know that readily available OTC 0w30 wouldn't produce the same or even better results?

If I want a slightly thinner than M1 0W30 in winter and slightly thicker than M1 0W30 in summer, then where do I get it ? Other than mixing M1 0W20 with 0W40 at certain ratio to get what I want I don't think it's available.

I don't think Caterham has too many objections to Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, other than the five gallon pails.
wink.gif
For me, that's the best part.

How much of a difference do you think a little thinner or a little thicker within the same grade makes to the engine?
Engines are designed to operate within a wide viscosity range, the fact that multi grades are spec'd proves that.

Other than some sort of personal satisfaction in believing you are in some way "optimizing" the oil.
The engine could care less about slight viscosity variations.

Don't get me wrong if someone want to do this and gets some sort of good feeling thats their thing, i could care less.
Myself i buy off the shelf, pour it in and be done with the whole business, come back in 5K and repeat. I neither have the time or patience for such things.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Myself i buy off the shelf, pour it in and be done with the whole business, come back in 5K and repeat. I neither have the time or patience for such things.

Now you've done it. You've criticized blending and now you let everyone know you change your oil too soon.
wink.gif

The cats out of the bag now so I might as well come clean. Its probably Mobil 1 or PU/PP that I am tossing out also.
lol.gif

Don't feel bad, I usually do the same thing. Although this winter I cheated and did a virtual oil change on my van. I had SSO in it for a year and logged 3,500 miles. I got sick, then it got cold and snowed, and guess what? The oil will stay in service until April, or maybe even June if I don't drive much.

Myself i buy off the shelf, pour it in and be done with the whole business, come back in 5K and repeat.

This is the best strategy! Plus, of course, use the proper specification required by the manufacturer. For example, I only use an oil with a HTHS of 3.5 to 3.8 for my BMW and Mercedes.

And, Trav, you've taken some stick for it.... Don't feel bad about your 5K OCIs. My BMW has a 3K OCI.

Scott

Originally Posted By: blackman777
How many times do I have to post this chart? It shows no green dot for the Prius G1 (2001-03) which means no 0W-20 allowed. Or 0w-30. Or 0W-xx. Per Toyota's own recommendations, only 5w-20 or 5w-30 is to be used.

Toyota%20Oil%20Chart.JPG

How can anyone disagree with blackman77's point on this? This chart makes it very clear. I doubt 0w-20 will damage the G1, but if it does, the owner should pay!

Many of the discussions on this forum remind me why I don't buy used cars!

Scott

I don't buy used anymore either. Too many people out there doing "extended OCI" with Iffy Lube "oil" or even the famous BMW dealer changed 1 year OCI from the last decade (they rolled that back since then, wisely). The engine pictures posted here with covers off are proof enough, sludge monsters abound.

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
I don't buy used anymore either. Too many people out there doing "extended OCI" with Iffy Lube "oil" or even the famous BMW dealer changed 1 year OCI from the last decade (they rolled that back since then, wisely). The engine pictures posted here with covers off are proof enough, sludge monsters abound.

Agree. People spend $20K for a economical car, or $40K or more for something nicer. And then they scrimp on oil. To me it's false economy. Spending $75 a YEAR more on an extra oil change does't even register on my income and budget. Plus, I like futzing around with my cars.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: blackman777
How many times do I have to post this chart? It shows no green dot for the Prius G1 (2001-03) which means no 0W-20 allowed. Or 0w-30. Or 0W-xx. Per Toyota's own recommendations, only 5w-20 or 5w-30 is to be used.

Toyota%20Oil%20Chart.JPG

How can anyone disagree with blackman77's point on this? This chart makes it very clear. I doubt 0w-20 will damage the G1, but if it does, the owner should pay!

Many of the discussions on this forum remind me why I don't buy used cars!
Scott

blackman77's reasoning is so obviously wrong to most of us that we find it quite humorous, but I guess not everyone gets the joke.
Firstly a light (A5/B5) 0W-30 grade is very uncommon and the only readily available example in the States is M1 AFE 0W-30.
So the fact that Toyota doesn't list the 0W-30 grade as an option on their Oil Recommendation Chart doesn't mean it's specifically not recommended. What it means, first and foremost is that Toyota doesn't make the grade nor do 99% of all other oil companies.
Secondly, M1 AFE 0W-30 is intended for use specifically where the 5W-30 grade is specified and that includes Toyota. So yes one can use it in Toyotas and all other makes that specify the 5w-30 grade.

Regarding the early first generation Prius models (MYs 2001-2003) that haven't been back-dated for the 0W-20 grade, none of us knows the reason why but I wouldn't read too much into it.
Yes the recommended 5W-20 grade is heavier, primarily on start-up and increased oil consumption may be the reason Toyota chose not to recommend their very light 0W-20 for what are now 11 to 13 year old cars. From what I've heard high mileage G1 cars are prone to high oil consumption in which case TGMO 0W-20 could just exacerbate the problem.

Quote:
Regarding the early first generation Prius models (MYs 2001-2003) that haven't been back-dated for the 0W-20 grade, none of us knows the reason why but I wouldn't read too much into it.

I thought it was due to solid lifters.

Out of curiosity (I certainly have no horse in this race), what does the Caterham blend provide that an off the shelf oil will not? I have read more than a few threads about the blend (lots of bashing on both sides), but in all of those posts I did not see a magic bullet.

What gives?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Out of curiosity (I certainly have no horse in this race), what does the Caterham blend provide that an off the shelf oil will not? I have read more than a few threads about the blend (lots of bashing on both sides), but in all of those posts I did not see a magic bullet.

What gives?

Personal preference, too much time on hand, OEM users manual and convenience.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Last year I have done a UOA on the Caterham blend....14200km. The results were excellent!

You might be surprised. Myself in over 40 years in the business its in the many thousands of different engines.
A single UOA is IMHO meaningless as far as determining wear goes, a totally blown engine can still produce a good UOA.

How do you know that readily available OTC 0w30 wouldn't produce the same or even better results?

Will a 0w-20 actually result in better fuel consumption than a 0w-30 / 5w-20 ?
This might be more critical for a daily driver...
If there is not much difference, then mixing 0w-20 into 0w-40 will not result in much of a difference either!

What does everyone here think about this ?

I have a 1999 Lexus GS400 and have tried 0W-30, 0W-40, and 0W-20 in that order. I got some free Toyota 0W-20 because of a mess up at the dealership and so I plan to try this Caterham blend in about two months (I do yearly OCI's).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back