How is ford 3.3L GDI Natural Aspirated Engine

So I hear it is basically the same engine family as the 3.5L / 3.7L cyclone but want to know more specifically if this is a reliable engine and how the GDI affect it? On the turbo models the intake ports block up and then when you think you will get a can of cleaner out, you will destroy the turbo. Does the 3.3L GDI have the carbon issue on the intake valves / ports.

I had zero issues with the 3.3L n/a engine in 2.5 years in a F-150. Got decent mileage, 21mpg IIRC. Runs like a scared rabbit if you keep up the revs. Probably will not carbon the intake passages with the Port injection alongside the GDI.

all ford engines in the f150 have dual injection. to answer your question, the 3.3 is gutless turd that will run forever. I think the only thing people have to do them is the water pump. which is external on the longitudinal drive trains.

Friend of mine had one in a work F150. It had the 3.73 gears so was rated to tow 7600 pounds. Was really surprised at how well it did pulling 6000ish pounds in the hills. It screamed but had no problem keeping up with traffic and maintaining the speed limit on the Interstate.

The 3.3 has always been dual injected (Port AND Direct) so fears about carbon deposits are not warranted.

We have them in many of our F150's in our work fleet. They are reliable, but gutless in comparison to the ecoboosts and V8. You will have to get on them to feel like there is any life to them. They will get the job done within the ratings of the truck but you will notice it working to get it done.

Great engine. If I was ever to get a F150 - it would have to be with a naturally aspirated 3.3L, 3.7L, or 3.5L.
The Ecoboost engines are cool, but they're a want, not a need. And at higher mileages, or with higher loads the turbos are a concern.
Recently saw a guy lose a turbo on his 3.5L twin-turbo Ford Transit. Repairs set him back $7k... And long wait time due to parts being on backorder. No warranty coverage for him either.
So yea, naturally aspirated is the way to go. The recent 3.5L N/A with the 10-speed auto will cover all the needs and more.

I agree that a NA engine is preferable (for me) over an Ecoboost for the reasons mentioned (reliability etc...).
Are the 3.3, 3.5 and 3.7 engines basically the same except for displacement? Which were available in what years?
I'd probably like the 3.7 best for it's greater power.

To answer your question somewhat.....the 3.7L was offered from 2010 to 2014 steel body F-150s and was not available once ford switched to aluminum body in 2015. Then it was short lived from 2015 to 2017 and is the least powerful of all of them. The 3.3L was introduced in 2018 with a 6spd 6R80. Unfortunately the 3.3L is now only offered paired with the less durable 10SPD tranny.

3.3L = 290 HP / 265 TQ
3.5L = 282 HP / 253 TQ
3.7L = 302 HP / 278 TQ

Back