How in the holy cow do I watch NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bride and I recently re-located to North Carolina. I am a Vikings fan, and she is a Chiefs fan. I know, I know, most of you hate the NFL and sports and all that stuff, but we LOVE watching football in the fall. Obviously our teams are not broadcasted down here in the south. I purchased SLING, but no matter what I do, it seems they don't show live games, only replays. I am willing to spend some money on NFL Sunday ticket, but it says it is not available in my area. I can't believe that in today's age of technology I can't at least stream it over some sort of program or subscription. I will not install a dish, and I have Google Fiber for internet. Ideas???

My son and I bleed Green & Gold and my wife is a Patriots fan. The Pats are always on locally, but the Packers are hit or miss. When we can't get them on TV, we listen to Wisconsin live stream radio. Old school, but it brings me back to when I was a kid. My old man's side are from the Madison area.

Find yourself a friend who does have a dish w/Sunday Ticket...or a sports bar. The technology is available, but as long as the NFL owns the rights as to which games can be broadcast and where/how...don't expect anything to change.

I don’t know much about it, but with Roku either built in or a player ESPN is available. I get some football on my antenna which is free. Haven’t had cable for years.

I don’t know much about it, but with Roku either built in or a player ESPN is available. I get some football on my antenna which is free. Haven’t had cable for years.
That might work for MNF, but the other games are on Fox, CBS, NBC, & NFL Network. Roku does have an NFL app, but it requires authorization (Sling would likely work, Spectrum does for me).

NFL Sunday Ticket is exclusive to DirecTV, isn't it ? With ATT now owning DirecTV, you may have add'l options since you said "no dish". Looks like the streaming alternative is only offered to people who can't install a satellite dish or satellite dish reception is obstructed.

There's also the NFL Network but I'm not certain what games they broadcast.

NFL app, with $99 subscription for out of market games.

Edit: Never mind, that's only replays.

Last edited:
If you have an Amazon device (I believe these apps can also be run on other devices), I just found out that the Peacock app (NBC) will show you Sunday night football, and they do have a free "subscription"--I'll find out how that works in a couple of hours. I know ParamountPlus will show CBS games for something like $6-7/month, although I don't know how many CBS will display each person via that app. Amazon Prime does most Thursday night football games (they start second or third Thursday of October). Of course, that is not to say that any of these options will get you the exact teams you are hoping to watch. And these apps are not just for streaming via a cell phone, but are being shown via Amazon FireTV on a TV.

EDIT: All the games I'm talking about here are live, not replays.

Last edited:
You can get the sunday games that are on local channels on a over the air antenna.
Generally those will only be "nearby" teams. OP lives in North Carolina and wants to watch KC and MN teams.

Find a local sports bar with more TV's than you can count on your fingers and toes. There are also lots of streaming opinions available, some more above board than others.

Have you looked into one of those IPTV boxes out there? They claim 10k US TV channels.

Reactions: JC1
You can stream NFL Sunday ticket with a subscription from nflsundayticket.tv. I get my Sunday ticket and MLB extra innings through directv.

You can get the sunday games that are on local channels on a over the air antenna.
Yup, I have been doing that most of my life...I can't get the teams I want to see anymore since I have re-located, which is the root of the question. I have never paid for cable, and I won't install a dish on my house. I am just surprised at not being able to pay for a subscription to stream NFL games online. It seems they are missing on an opportunity.

I am just surprised at not being able to pay for a subscription to stream NFL games online. It seems they are missing on an opportunity.
Maybe, but as it is, they have offered this exclusivity to DirecTV/ATT. DirecTV pays the NFL $1.5 BILLION for this so it seems as though the NFL has accepted any missed "opportunities". ;) Yes, that says a billion - not a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back