Does anyone here have Youtube TV?

A buddy of mine who lives in MI dumped Dish Network and replaced it with Youtube TV. He said it's half the price of Dish, all of the channels are broadcast in 4K, he gets all the local channels, and he said it has tons of sports channels. He also said he'd never go back to Dish, or any satellite service for that matter. I'm curious to find out if it shows all of the NFL games (like the NFL Sunday Ticket does). My buddy doesn't watch much sports, and no football, so he didn't know for sure. I'd like to hear from those of you who have it, and if it broadcasts all of the NFL games...

I don't have YouTube tv. There are plenty of options out there for sports. Depends on your internet speeds and willingness to explore different options.

He is not getting everything broadcast in 4K...certain live broadcasts are available in 4K but most are not. Also, the 4K package is an add-on that without promo adds $20/month to the cost. I had YouTube TV for a bit and ended up switching to Fubo...little more sports-oriented channel options. I split it 3-ways with family members so my cost is $25/mo.

Youtube TV. He said it's half the price of Dish, all of the channels are broadcast in 4K
Since Dish has many packages of channels, maybe it's half of what he was paying but that's a fairly simple statement he made. It's about $65/month. We switched to it in March '19 and it was $35/month. For us, yes, it was about half the price of what we paid Dish Network but 2-1/2 years later it's back to the same price.

Regarding 4K, that's completely wrong. There are less than (10) channels streamed in 4K and to get them, you have to pay for their 4K add-on package that's another $20/month.

YTTV does include NFL Network. That network doesn't broadcast every game either, just certain ones. The Bengals vs Jaguars games from last night, for example, was on NFL Network.

I don't know how you guys are getting Dish so cheap. Mine is $130 a month, and that does not include any premium channels. What I have is called the bronze package, which was (as far as I know) their least expensive package...

I don't know how you guys are getting Dish so cheap. Mine is $130 a month, and that does not include any premium channels. What I have is called the bronze package, which was (as far as I know) their least expensive package...
Our monthly rate was around $75 and that included the hardware costs (we had a Hopper 3 and a Joey). It's why YTTV was so attractive - it was more than 1/2 the price and we lost no meaningful channels. I did ask the kids if they were okay with losing channels A, B, C, etc and they didn't care at all. My wife didn't want to lose a channel or two but also said she wasn't going to veto the switch over a TV show.

Dish lists AT120 at $64.99. I don't remember what bronze, silver, platinum, etc packages are anymore though I do remember the name. That price doesn't include DVR fee, hardware fee(s), etc either. If you have more than (2) TVs, you'll be lucky to have the bill sub-$100.

Our monthly rate was around $75 and that included the hardware costs (we had a Hopper 3 and a Joey). It's why YTTV was so attractive - it was more than 1/2 the price and we lost no meaningful channels. I did ask the kids if they were okay with losing channels A, B, C, etc and they didn't care at all. My wife didn't want to lose a channel or two but also said she wasn't going to veto the switch over a TV show.

Dish lists AT120 at $64.99. I don't remember what bronze, silver, platinum, etc packages are anymore though I do remember the name. That price doesn't include DVR fee, hardware fee(s), etc either. If you have more than (2) TVs, you'll be lucky to have the bill sub-$100.
We also have 2 TVs with a Hopper and a Joey, and our Hopper has the DVR. What is AT120? Still seems like I'm paying a lot more than I should be for what I have after seeing what you're paying...

NFL Sunday Ticket is only available on DirecTV.

BTW, my Dish bill is $69.
I'm not looking to get the Ticket...I had it when we had DirecTV, and I thought it was way too expensive (it was almost $300 a season). It's probably even more than that now...

We also have 2 TVs with a Hopper and a Joey, and our Hopper has the DVR. What is AT120? Still seems like I'm paying a lot more than I should be for what I have after seeing what you're paying...
I just did a quick, fake order using AT120 and (2) TVs (that defaults to a Hopper + Joey). $69.99/mo (plus taxes, etc, etc). I can't say it will have the channels you want but I always tell people "if you HAVE to have this channel, no ifs ands or buts, don't complain about the price".

I thought their "metal" channel packages were legacy stuff. You need to call them and negotiate. They were always willing to lower our price using monthly credits as long as we agreed to a 12-month contract or more if we agreed to 24-months.

I just did a quick, fake order using AT120 and (2) TVs (that defaults to a Hopper + Joey). $69.99/mo (plus taxes, etc, etc). I can't say it will have the channels you want but I always tell people "if you HAVE to have this channel, no ifs ands or buts, don't complain about the price".

I thought their "metal" channel packages were legacy stuff. You need to call them and negotiate. They were always willing to lower our price using monthly credits as long as we agreed to a 12-month contract or more if we agreed to 24-months.
I still don't know what an AT120 is...

I have YT TV. You'll find the hardest thing to not have about (if you ever want to leave) it is the unlimited DVR. It's the bees knees.

Amazon used to have a lot of free content for Prime members. Most has evaporated and I see a definite political bias in what they offer.

I had it for about two years, switched from DirecTV, ATTNow, whatever the hell they are now. The biggest reason I chose YT TV was they were the only service that carried the local Boise channels. I didn't like the hassle of switching inputs every time I wanted to watch the local networks and trying to find the best spot for a HD antenna for multiple TVs. They had every channel my wife and I liked, and lots of sports options. Never had any issues with their service.

I have Dish Network, and I have to say it is without question the absolute worst TV I've ever had. In content, not quality. The picture quality is great..... But seriously, there is little to nothing to watch. I have the, "Choice Package". Which I'm told is what 80+% of the people who have Dish Network get.

There is nothing but crap on 95% of the time. The movies all suck. (How many times can you watch "Rambo" and "Road House"?) 500 odd channels, and all but about 5 are honestly worth watching. And a few of those have gotten crappy. The History Channel, which used to be great, has become the Pawn Stars, American Pickers rerun channel. Even the Weather Channel rarely has the weather anymore. It's usually showing tow trucks recovering wrecks, or some such nonsense.

If the premium channels were any better, I would sign up for them.... But they're not. Over half the channels are nothing but repetitive infomercials. "Affordable Jewelry"... "Rechargeable Hearing Aids"... "How To Make Your Skin Look Younger" "Rick's US Coin Show"... And on and on. It's an endless river of crap. And yes, I'm older, and remember when there were only 4 channels, yet there was always something good to watch. I've read that cable and satellite television providers are among the most hated companies on Earth. I can believe it.

I keep hearing how the Internet is going to put cable television out of business. I normally don't root for failure. But in this case I'll make an exception. My only hope is if the Internet does take over TV, they do a better job. Frankly, I don't see how they can do any worse.... Rant off.

I have Dish Network, and I have to say it is without question the absolute worst TV I've ever had. In content, not quality. The picture quality is great..... But seriously, there is little to nothing to watch. I have the, "Choice Package". Which I'm told is what 80+% of the people who have Dish Network get.

There is nothing but crap on 95% of the time. The movies all suck. (How many times can you watch "Rambo" and "Road House"?) 500 odd channels, and all but about 5 are honestly worth watching. And a few of those have gotten crappy. The History Channel, which used to be great, has become the Pawn Stars, American Pickers rerun channel. Even the Weather Channel rarely has the weather anymore. It's usually showing tow trucks recovering wrecks, or some such nonsense.

If the premium channels were any better, I would sign up for them.... But they're not. Over half the channels are nothing but repetitive infomercials. "Affordable Jewelry"... "Rechargeable Hearing Aids"... "How To Make Your Skin Look Younger" "Rick's US Coin Show"... And on and on. It's an endless river of crap. And yes, I'm older, and remember when there were only 4 channels, yet there was always something good to watch. I've read that cable and satellite television providers are among the most hated companies on Earth. I can believe it.

I keep hearing how the Internet is going to put cable television out of business. I normally don't root for failure. But in this case I'll make an exception. My only hope is if the Internet does take over TV, they do a better job. Frankly, I don't see how they can do any worse.... Rant off.
BillT,

Great commentary.

Only thought on your post """if the Internet does take over TV, they do a better job. Frankly, I don't see how they can do any worse""".

The internet and cable companies generally own each other in one way or another. For the most part the are part of the same body/ circle.

To get real change in what we pay for TV/Cable and its content requires either prohibiting those delivering content (internet providers) from owning the rights to the content they are delivering, or allowing "real" competition in the internet delivery services.

I would love to see Elon Musk's satellite internet service be able to deliver content. Anything to bring competition to the internet delivery services. when people say streaming is the way to break away from cable, I struggle to grasp that, as most of the internet service providers are also the content providers. Because of lack of meaningful competition- these internet/ cable providers will get your money one way or another.

Dish Network doesn't have any package called "Choice". DirecTV does though....

And this isn't to defend Dish, DirecTV, YTTV, any cable company, etc but you're complaining about channels, i.e. ABC, Discovery, TNT, and so on. The carriers have nothing to do with the content shown.

Back