How good of a mechanic are you?

Does not look like it, since most are saying 2-3 range, which is the lower end of the scale. Dunning-Kruger would have everyone being a 4+.
Also the answers can be interpreted differently.
There are a few 2.5 and 3.5 answers here, which shows some are putting some thought and evaluation into their response.
Most that have responded with 4 or higher can give background to that response (which of course could be a lie, but that is different that not knowing where your skill is at).

If the OP had broken down what each thing meant, I think there would be and even more accurate score.

This is how I read them:
  1. None - is pretty clear, don't/can't do any thing to vehicle
  2. Some - basic maintenance (anything in the owners manual, oil change, air and cabin filters, wipers, maybe check and replace a fuse), things can be done with basic hand tools and minimal knowledge. youtube is their guide
  3. Decent shade tree mechanic - more advanced things such as brakes, all fluid changes, R&R attached engine parts (alternator, water pump, intake, valve cover gaskets and such), may need some more "advanced" tools (OBD code reader, maybe a low end scanner), most suspension and steering items, general knowledge of many automotive topics and more specific knowledge of own vehicles, OK diagnostic ability (may be a parts cannon at times, but not usually always). Probably uses youtube for some repairs, but may own a repair manual for specific vehicle. Has a basic 5-10 gallon air compressor, maybe a little better. This is a starting hobbyist level IMO.
  4. Really good shade tree - More advanced/specialty tools needed (general bi-directional scanners, welders, engine hoist) and knowledge to use them, replacing engines, advanced engine work (heads, exhaust (more than just external bolt on stuff), doing some A/C work, maybe some welding, never goes to a shop except for things that they do not have tools to do, good general knowledge of all automotive stuff, many makes and model knowledge (enough to hate a few brands and love others, but will work on them all if needed). Probably has a FSM for personal vehicles. Usually has a reason for replacing a part, not just "hope this is it". Probably works on other mechanical things as well (mowers, motorcycles, other motorized hobby things) as well as helping friends with repairs. Does this as a hobby as well as to save money. Probably has a "project" of some sort either finished (it is never finished), sitting in garage now, or future plans for.
  5. I am a mechanic - Someone probably with more than an attached garage, more equipment (probably has some type of a lift, maybe a brake lathe, good A/C equipment able to recover freon, Engine rebuilding, almost all vehicle repairs could be done), advanced diagnostic equipment and scan tools.
  6. I am a master mechanic - IMO this would be someone at an independent shop or dealership (or at least able to be hired there), ability (skills and equipment wise) to do any auto repair on a wide range of vehicles. Access (and probably own) any tools needed, welding, fab work, engine and transmission rebuilding, electrical diagnostic, ect, will warranty work, and while may not have ASE cert, could get it and probably get it, or even teach it.

There are some things that could fit into either category. Things like replacing differential gears could fall into the decent shade tree category if somebody has a need to do it often enough, but is more of a really good shade tree mechanic. Same for things like replacing head gaskets.
As I mentioned, I have done some things of vehicles that I would classify as a really good shade tree mechanic, but I don't think I really am, especially with the technology in vehicles today, you really need more specialized scanners to do some of it, and I just can't justify the $1000 for a diagnostic scanner (but have been looking at some in the $400-500 range).
Nice breakdown and what I was thinking

With my replaced knee, It takes me longer then a pro would take to do some jobs.Almost twice as long. And on some jobs I can do it faster, because of the preparation I do. So I guess on average I'm half fast.,,,

Only tools separate 3&4 for me. With all the right tools for the job I'll say 4. If I have to do work arounds 3.

Somewhere between a 1 and 6 according to some on here who say Dealer techs don't know anything:unsure:;)
There are some amazing dealer techs. There are also some absolutely awful ones. The guy I sent @JC1 to is one of the best techs I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with, just a phenomenal guy.

Reactions: JC1
Probably a 3 or 4. I resurrected the MG myself, putting in a new clutch, rebuilding the carburetor, rebuilding the front and rear suspension and overhauling the brake system. Helped my dad pull the Iron Duke from our Pontiac to replace the camshaft gear when it let go. I feel fairly confident that I can do the timing belt and water pump on the Pilot when it comes time. Tires and alignments I leave to the pros, although the MG's alignment was simple enough I managed that one myself. A little crude when I had to use a jig made from 2x4 and some string tied to jack stands, but it worked.

I’d say I am a 3 based on description. And that is only because in 30+ years of car ownership, my family and I never owned anything that required that level of diagnostics to be a 4 or 5. Three Toyota’s for me and never more than all easy stuff like tuneups, fluid changes, brakes, suspension, mounting/balancing, relays, pumps, starters, alternators, wear and tear consumable items, luckily.

I'm a 1 or a 2. I don't have much experience outside of a select few vehicles. I can do anything but it will just take forever. And when stuff goes sideways (let's face it, i'm in NY, that happens), I'm not as well equipped with tools or experience to get out of that situation.

Now drop me in front of a Jeep Cherokee or any Jeep from that era and I'd be a 4 or a 5.

A 6, but the more you know the less you know. Just yesterday someone told me that BMW's don't use a throttle body anymore (had never heard of that in my life). I learn quite a bit here.

I would say I'm a solid 3. I've been working on my own cars and for friends and family since I was 18 and I'm now 54. I don't do engine, transmission, or rear end rebuilds but have pretty much done everything else over the years.

I found that having the right tools is a huge plus and I have bought a lot of specialty tools over the years to make a job easier. I will say that I don't enjoy working on cars these days as much as I did in the past and will sometimes pay someone else to jobs I just don't feel like doing even though I can still do them.

1 to 2.
If I do something out of my comfort zone, I will have watched it a thousand times on YouTube.
Otherwise my local mechanic gets to:
1) Fix what I did wrong, and
2) Do it right.
And quite often 1 and 2 are separate line items on my repair invoice.

Back