How far can a squirrel fall

Or jump an not be hurt? LOL I went outside to feed the horses, as I do errday, and one of our resident squirrels ran up a tree inside the back yard. I walked up to the tree and my my dog and I were checking him out, and he was definitley checking us, well dog, out! I shook the tree and he either jumped or fell. I'm sure that he jumped cuz he went out about 15-20 feet from the tree and to the other side of the fence. He was up about 15-18 feet and landed with a THUD and then skeedaddled across the driveway and up in to one of the evergreens. I went in the house and my wife was horrified. She was watching out the window. DOH! I assured that the squirrel was ok. But, I don't really know. :unsure:

Oh, wow, a Google search of the subject is eye opening. The information is not a consensus, but this one claims they can fall from nearly any height and survive because their terminal velocity is relatively low: https://cyruskhan.com/blog/2014/4/1/death-by-fall-not-for-a-squirrel
image-asset.jpg

Last edited:
This is a funny post to me. About 15 years ago I was doing some work out in the yard. When I heard a thump. I looked in the driveway and there was a squirrel laying face down. He looked up, shook his head and ran off. Now from my best estimate, he fell out of the tree which branches were at least 40 feet in the air. Don't know if he was alright later on, but I will have to say they can fall 40 feet and survive.,,,

Oh, wow, a Google search of the subject is eye opening. The information is not a consensus, but this one claims they can fall from nearly any height and survive because their terminal velocity is relatively low: https://cyruskhan.com/blog/2014/4/1/death-by-fall-not-for-a-squirrelView attachment 39855
I read this just the other day because I was wondering the same exact thing. I feed them every AM, 4-5 come flying down the tree when they see me and one got knocked off, it didn't seem to bother him one bit.
Smart little creatures though, I would never harm one never mind hunt it or any other animal, humans are another story. LOL

I read this just the other day because I was wondering the same exact thing. I feed them every AM, 4-5 come flying down the tree when they see me and one got knocked off, it didn't seem to bother him one bit.
Smart little creatures though, I would never harm one never mind hunt it or any other animal, humans are another story. LOL
I look forward to putting peanuts out for them every morning. They are fun to watch and don't bother anyone except Stella next door who likes to chase them up a tree when she is supposed to be taking care of business.

I've actually seen them run into the wheel of a moving car, the wheel pick them up give them a body slam on the pavement and they get up and run away. They must be like cats and have 9 lives.

I look forward to putting peanuts out for them every morning. They are fun to watch and don't bother anyone except Stella next door who likes to chase them up a tree when she is supposed to be taking care of business.
It is a real competition between them, the Blue Jays and Cardinals for the peanuts. I make sure they all get their breakfast.
The cardinal is a real trip he sits on my car door mirror looking at himself, it has become a favorite pastime for him, its great.

Or jump an not be hurt? LOL I went outside to feed the horses, as I do errday, and one of our resident squirrels ran up a tree inside the back yard. I walked up to the tree and my my dog and I were checking him out, and he was definitley checking us, well dog, out! I shook the tree and he either jumped or fell. I'm sure that he jumped cuz he went out about 15-20 feet from the tree and to the other side of the fence. He was up about 15-18 feet and landed with a THUD and then skeedaddled across the driveway and up in to one of the evergreens. I went in the house and my wife was horrified. She was watching out the window. DOH! I assured that the squirrel was ok. But, I don't really know. :unsure:

They are really durable.

When I was 12 or 13 I shot one out of a tree. It was a big old monster of a tree with a massive trunk. That little bugger fell what had to be 50ft onto the dirt road that ran the front of the property at my buddy's cottage. It immediately took off and started running right back up the tree, I couldn't believe it. Managed to nail it about 10ft up in the back of the head and that ended things, but they are impressively resilient.

They are very tasty in jambalaya. Some eat 'em in gumbo, but that's too soupy for me. The meat cooks down too much.

It is a real competition between them, the Blue Jays and Cardinals for the peanuts. I make sure they all get their breakfast.
The cardinal is a real trip he sits on my car door mirror looking at himself, it has become a favorite pastime for him, its great.

I would bet the Blue Jays win lol.

We had Jays on the porch when growing up.. had a special feeder just for them. Beautiful birds.

I like birds.

Totally true, some of the stuff they do is just plain absolutely hilarious.

I saw Petals hanging upside down from the cage door once. They like to find little things to do to entertain themselves.

Back