How do you measure how much oil to add on an off even amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hatt
I'm hoping this thread is a joke.

LOL This
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think it is. We have had a number of threads on hard to read dipsticks. Honda is part of that bunch.

Just start with 3 and 3/4 quarts. Check your dipstick. In some cases getting it in the right light helps. Once you have it set the oil changes from here on out will be easy.

I also prefer my level to be right at the full mark. It's a reference to see if you are using oil or in the Honda case, trying fuel dilution with a increased level.

Crack quart open and fill the filter before installing it. Dump the remainder of the quart into the engine along with 2 more. Add another 0.5qt and I guarantee you'll right at the top mark on the dipstick. Done it several times on mine and it never failed to work me this way

If it says 3.7 qts. I'd throw in 3.75 qts or 3 qts. and 24 ounces.....and check it after a day or two....

Thanks guys! Very useful info

Nope no joke....usually I'm in with the dump 4 in and call it a day ( I do this with my wife's 2010 Fit) but with the fuel dilution issues I'm being overly cautious

Put your old oil in a gallon milk jug. Visually estimate the left over air space.

Does your dipstick get easier to use/read as the oil gets darker? Check it before you dump into the gallon container and work backwards.

I work in litres being from Europe.

My Duster takes 4.5 litres of oil including the filter. I'll put 4 litres in and will top it up to maximum after a few days when I'm parked on the dead flat.

Originally Posted by Blue_Goose
Sounds like a weird question perhaps my brain is not functioning this early but…

In most of my cars especially recent memory ones,the oil fill has always been either been 4, 5 or 6 even quarts.

Requirement for my Civic is 3.7 quarts. How do you accurately measure that? Does the .7 mean ounces?

The picture I am including is obviously from a quart bottle but I will be using the 5 quart jug.

I'm not sure why am having such a tough time comprehending this LOL

You just Google how many liters in 3.7 quarts of oil. That's basically 3 and 1/2 liters. 1000ml per liter.
So use the ml. Or just make it simple and dump in 3.5 quarts. That will suffice

I go up to the nearest 1/2. 3.2 gets 3.5...... 5.7 gets 6.0 ......... 6.6 gets 7.0

Dump the 4 qts in and sleep well.

new and improved website but still timed edit Just add 4 qts. .7 is close enough to 3/4 of a qt.

Originally Posted by Leo99
My Camry is listed at 4.8 quarts. That takes to just below the full line on the dipstick. That's where it was brand new from the factory. I dump in a whole 5 quart jug and it takes it to the full line.

Would be a lot easier if oil was sold and capacity were the metric system.

Or the moron designers would make the sumps an even amount.

Our Escape takes 4 quarts and 4 ounces.

So I dump in 4 quarts and take a 1/2 cup measuring cup which is 4 ounces,fill it up dump it in = 4 quarts and 4 ounces
thumbsup2.gif

CT8 Or the moron designers would make the sumps an even amount.[/quote said:
They did make it an 'even' amount or in this case a 1/2 even amount - 4.5 liters.

I'm certain that all cars nowadays are designed in metric units.

Just do your best to refill with 3.7 qts.

Back in the day when cars required an even 4 or 5 qts, nobody ever refilled with that exact amount. Clingage losses had an effect. You can easily lose 0.3 qts or more just from oil clinging to 5 bottles. I've verified this with overnight drains from empty bottles.

I've seen receipts for 5.1 quart oil changes, where the customer is charged an absurd amount for that last 1/10 quart. Better to have the car rated somewhat under, so the owner can win arguments with garages running loss-leader specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back