How do you measure how much oil to add on an off even amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a weird question perhaps my brain is not functioning this early but…

In most of my cars especially recent memory ones,the oil fill has always been either been 4, 5 or 6 even quarts.

Requirement for my Civic is 3.7 quarts. How do you accurately measure that? Does the .7 mean ounces?

The picture I am including is obviously from a quart bottle but I will be using the 5 quart jug.

I'm not sure why am having such a tough time comprehending this LOL

BCE6CE57-993E-436B-B505-611FF8CBF024.jpeg

Is that 3.7 quarts the sump capacity minus the filter? It may be that 4 quarts is the final number.

Most of the odd number capacities result from the conversion of liters to quarts.

Ignore the ".7" part of the 3.7 quarts number.
Which means you put in exactly 3 quarts.
Then, over the next week or two, simply top off the oil gradually, a little at at a time, like a quarter cup at a time, until you see Full on the dipstick.
This method will keep you from overfilling. This happens when not all the old oil gets drained out, but you don't know how much is stuck up in there.

Yes I'm sorry the 3.7 quarts does include the filter change. With the fuel dilution issues on the 1.5 turbo in the Civic I want to make sure I don't overfill

.7 qts = 7/10ths of a quart

1 qt = 946ml, so .7 x 946 = 662 mL

Or you can just dump in 4 qts and call it a day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Blue_Goose
Yes I'm sorry the 3.7 quarts does include the filter change. With the fuel dilution issues on the 1.5 turbo in the Civic I want to make sure I don't overfill

Gotcha. That engine does have a small sump. Another way to look at it is 3 and 3/4 quarts. It doesn't have to be exact. In the end adding 4 quarts shouldn't be a issue.

Don't over think it. If it calls for 3.7 qts. with a filter throw in 4 qts. and be done with it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Don't over think it. If it calls for 3.7 qts. with a filter throw in 4 qts. and be done with it.
That over-fills it. Coupled with known fuel dilution issues with this engine, its really better to put in 3 quarts and gradually top off over a month or two, watching the level with a check every week, gradually adding only a little each time when needed.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
This is so difficult because in your car the dipstick was optional?

That was an additional option that Honda charges 75 bucks for. No way I'm paying that

3 Qt. + 23 Oz. To be close enough, put in 3 Qt. and 3/4 of another quart. You should have around 8 oz. left in the bottle. Or, you can buy you a cheap graduated measuring cup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
This is so difficult because in your car the dipstick was optional?

That was an additional option that Honda charges 75 bucks for. No way I'm paying that

LOL whats next tires are an option?

Last edited:

Is this for a physical dipstick?

Use the metric values. The car will give that and the oil bottles will too. I suspect you will find that the values are "easier" to comprehend.

My Camry is listed at 4.8 quarts. That takes to just below the full line on the dipstick. That's where it was brand new from the factory. I dump in a whole 5 quart jug and it takes it to the full line.

Would be a lot easier if oil was sold and capacity were the metric system.

Sorry, bad attempt at a joke. Heh. I forgot that there are some cars (Volvo??) that there is no dipstick. Yes there is a dipstick albeit an awful one to try to read accurately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back