How bad do you think it is to get engine oil, atf, brake fluids on your skin?

EG is also pretty biodegradable from what I've read. So much so that some municipalities allow you to dispose of used coolant into the sanitary sewer.
Yeah, a lot of microorganisms are able to metabolize it pretty readily, but it is pretty toxic to macro organisms.

My general thinking is, if you have a liver, kidneys, or circulatory system in general don't ingest EG.

todays world is full of toxic chemicals, many are in food + classed as GRASS - generally recognized as safe - which can like most everything in the USA!! approvals come from lobbying weather safe or not!!! its a byer beware world + thats what big pharma likes! if your immune system is strong + you dont either eat, drink, or contact things to often you MIGHT be OK. one look around at obesity shows many choose POORLY!!!

todays world is full of toxic chemicals, many are in food + classed as GRASS - generally recognized as safe - which can like most everything in the USA!! approvals come from lobbying weather safe or not!!! its a byer beware world + thats what big pharma likes! if your immune system is strong + you dont either eat, drink, or contact things to often you MIGHT be OK. one look around at obesity shows many choose POORLY!!!

That's one of my big hangups. I eat, drink, and contact things almost every day. Sometimes multiple times a day!

Heckfire, I grew up eating lead paint and turned out just fine! 🤪

But seriously, as has already been said, used motor oil is what carries the warnings, and long-term, regular exposure would be more of a concern than an occasional oil change.

A random search brings up this bottle. On the back, it says "WARNING: Avoid prolonged or repeated skin contact with used motor oil. Used motor oil has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. etc., etc."

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Subaru-SOA427V1415-Motor-Gallon/dp/B00PV6GNK4

My Dad smoked five cigars a day, never got cancer.

That doesn’t make cigar smoking risk free.

Used oil and other chemicals do, in fact, increase your risk of cancer.

Just like smoking does.

Nitrile gloves are cheap. They reduce your risk, just like quitting smoking reduces your risk.
I own (2) boxes of nitrile gloves. I NEVER used them for oil related tasks before, and I NEVER will!

Attachments

• GLOVES.jpg
    GLOVES.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 2
Back