How do I know if sandbags would benefit winter driving?

Sorry for all the threads but my friend just picked up a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback and here In Alberta it’s already getting really cold and we get tons of snow and ice. If my friend wanted to add sandbags/weight to his trunk fkr added traction etc.
he was wondering how much weight he should add to the back?
Thx

None.
You want the weight over the drive wheels, so putting sandbags in the back of your FWD Mazda won't help at all, and if one of the bags rips you make such a mess :D

Get winter tires instead. 1010 and other sites have convenient tire and wheel packages that come pre-mounted and balanced and ready to install on your car. If you can't do winter tires because you can't afford them or don't have a place to store them, get a set of chains. When there's snow or ice, install them on your front tires.

Sorry for all the threads but my friend just picked up a 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback and here In Alberta it’s already getting really cold and we get tons of snow and ice. If my friend wanted to add sandbags/weight to his trunk fkr added traction etc.
Thx
In 2003 that car wasn't AWD so that would be even more nuts, Get good TIRES. Applies to all vehicles

Putting extra weight in the back of a front drive car actually is taking weight off the front drive wheels and will affect the way the car handles.. I would make sure the tires have atleast 50 percent of tread left and a bag of cat litter on board. I would only put weight in a rear drive vehicle or a 2WD truck.

Sand bags could benefit RWD vehicles, but in all honesty dedicated winter tires are going to be your best bet.

Don’t waste your time, like others have said...it’s front wheel drive and will drive great with winter tires.

Thx
Get yourself a dedicated set of 195/65/15 winter tires and you will be golden. Personally I prefer the Kumho Wi31 for the price and are equally capable to Yokohama, Toyo, BFG and Michelin from my experience with all five brands.

Your friend just got the Mazda so he really doesn't know how it will do on bad roads. All season tires with good tread at a minimum with 4 winter tires best. Front wheel drive cars do great with 4 winter tires. If he just has to add weight I'd put it in the rear footwells not all the way in the back.

Back before ABS I had several FWD cars that would lock up the rear tires easily on bad roads, rear weight might have helped that.

Winter tires, or tell your friend to park the Mazda and take the bus......

Weight will NOT work in that car......

Back