will studded winter tires be better hands down in ice and snow compared to normal tires?

Freezing rain and wet ice are the most dangerous for all involved. If you encounter these situations with any type of regularity I recommend studded tires. If you don't, there are a myriad array of stud-less brands that would fit the bill.

I ran studs and didn't feel they were any better. I think over the three years I had them I didn't encounter the perfect (ice) storm they would have been suited for.

The float on dry pavement was crazy, but I got used to it. Took more steering input. I only felt safe at the speed limit, not ten over like everybody does. But I wasn't late for work. And that's the point.

The question is "hands down", and I don't know that one could directly compare one storm to the next, studded tires vs normal winter tires, assuming all other factors being equal, when they never are. However *any* winter tire is hands down better than an all season, meeting the second half of your question. Don't get suckered into a paralysis of analysis. Buy one of the three top rated models and you'll be ahead of everyone else on the road. Then you can get stuck when someone else jackknifes on a hill.

I've seen ice in parking lots that was busted by studded tires. It seems like a "herd immunity" thing, where if everybody had them, things would be better for all.

I ran studs and didn't feel they were any better. I think over the three years I had them I didn't encounter the perfect (ice) storm they would have been suited for.

The float on dry pavement was crazy, but I got used to it. Took more steering input. I only felt safe at the speed limit, not ten over like everybody does. But I wasn't late for work. And that's the point.

The question is "hands down", and I don't know that one could directly compare one storm to the next (but with new studded tires), assuming all other factors being equal, when they never are.

I've seen ice in parking lots that was busted by studded tires. It seems like a "herd immunity" thing, where if everybody had them, things would be better for all.

I think they work better further south than you. Probably more regional suitability. Here in my area it rarely gets below 15f. Frequently freezing rain and sleet happen at 25f, by morning it's above freezing and it's wet slick ice.

Also melting snow refreezing at night.

Did you notice apollo18 is in ALBERTA?

Nope, his location just says Canada and I thought we talked about the GTA in one of his posts or it was mentioned that it was where one of his friends lived, so I assumed Ontario. I see the OP was edited on Friday, the location initially wasn't listed there, otherwise, I wouldn't have made the comment I did.

Last edited:
I have the studded Hakk 9s on my 2019 JGC. They are very good.
The newest snows with studs are almost too good, where they give you an abundance of confidence, maybe too much confidence where you might overdrive conditions.

Nope, his location just says Canada and I know we talked about the GTA in one of his posts, so I assumed Ontario. I see the OP was edited on Friday, the location initially wasn't listed there, otherwise, I wouldn't have made the comment I did.
Fair enough....

But manufacturers makes difference winter tires marketed towards different intended regional markets.

Fair enough....

But manufacturers makes difference winter tires marketed towards different intended regional markets.

It just came to mind (assuming Ontario) because the iPike's I have on my Jeep have the provisions for studs but I can't use them because my impression was that in most parts of Ontario, they were prohibited.

If they are allowed to run them in Alberta, which I believe they can, since chains are also a thing there, then I don't see a reason not to if the conditions are such that they would be a benefit. I find the iPikes are not a great tire on ice, the Xice on the truck are MUCH better, but I expect that would change significantly with studs.

It just came to mind (assuming Ontario) because the iPike's I have on my Jeep have the provisions for studs but I can't use them because my impression was that in most parts of Ontario, they were prohibited.

If they are allowed to run them in Alberta, which I believe they can, since chains are also a thing there, then I don't see a reason not to if the conditions are such that they would be a benefit. I find the iPikes are not a great tire on ice, the Xice on the truck are MUCH better, but I expect that would change significantly with studs.
If you live in Northern Ontario, then you can use studded tires between September 1 and May 31st

Dedicated studded winter tires on everything I own. I guess I drive like an old man because I've never noticed the difference in dry or wet traction. Noise yeah, can't get around that, but for pure safety and security reasons, I wouldn't go without them, and especially for the wife's car. I really tried to like the studless tires, and maybe it is just bias, I ended up taking off the two sets of Blizzaks I tried after one season because they just didn't feel the same on intersection glare ice. Studded winter tires work for me.

If you live in Northern Ontario, then you can use studded tires between September 1 and May 31st

Yes, I knew that northern Ontario had different rules. I of course live just NE of Toronto, so we are not allowed to run studs is my understanding.

After the last 2 winters I have run Nokian studded tires.,I thought they would be great on ice, but found out they were not. Seems like they would just skate on the ice after breaking traction. They are very unpredictable between good traction, and no traction. They were terrible at stopping, and starting on polished ice, and have always made me regret not going with Blizzaks that I have been using for 25 years now.

I've been running a variety of "premium" studless winter tires (Nokian, Michelin X-Ice, Blizzaks, Yokohama G072s, etc...) for the last couple decades in BC and Alberta. I can't think of many situations where I've wished I had studs, and have driven a lot on dry roads in above-freezing temperatures where I'm sure studs would have been annoying.

If I were stopping at iced-up intersections frequently, such as someone commuting through Edmonton, I might be singing a different tune.

I’ve had both, I prefer non studded. My studded set were great on very steep grades with ice where I couldn’t keep my momentum up going into the climb. On snow they were no different and on pavement they sucked, benefit of the non studded is you can drive them from thanksgiving to Easter and you don’t have to drive on loud studs when it’s dry out between early and late season storms.

I've had best experience with Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded tires here in Norway wintertime, especially in freezing rain conditions.

I think anyone who hasnt used the latest generation of either studded or studless might change their mind somewhat if they did.
The continential viking contact 7 on the elantra are light years ahead of the blizzak dmv2 on the jeep.

I am also sure they are far better than firestone winterfarce studded or not.
But the new michelin studded winter or studded hakka 9's? who knows I havent personally driven either.. I am reasonably sure they perform well however.

I am not holding the below average obnoxious cooper wintermaster+ I owned against new studded models..
Just like I know every studless tire is not as bad as the OG michelin arctic alpin (were terrible!!!), or even the below average org. michelin xice.

When I go shopping I find 3-4 models then shop on price and availability. usually one has a double rebate or the other is out of stock.. and makes for easy decision.
Studs only have a significant advantage on smooth "warm" ice.
There have been a number of days I didnt even know the road was slippery with my blizzak dmv2.. got out of car at work and fell on rear.

And the blizzak dmv2 is hardly in the top 10 for studless anymore.
Studs make sense for many people.. but for many.. either is amazing compared to all-seasons and adequate for all conditions. So the other conditions factor into buying.
Why buy an amazing winter tire if 90% of the time the roads are dry or wet.. well because you want something for the worst conditions.
but would you buy a tire that was MUCH better in wet and dry for only a tiny decrease in snow traction vs the leading winter tire? I would.

Last edited:
Tonight is a perfect example of why studded tires are a must for me... in Colorado. Obviously weather and topography makes the decision different for everyone. Typical front range snow today. 7 inches this morning, followed by sunshine, and a little over freezing. Roads dry mostly but wet in places. Tonight it froze up. This is a very typical weather pattern for us in the winter. I was following my wife home, her Trax has Cooper M&S studded, my Blazer is still running it's summer BFG All Terrains. She just motored up the hill, I had to back down to some dry area to get going again. The studded tires go on the Blazer tomorrow... my bad for waiting. The aren't for everyone, but for me, they are a safety must.

Despite what would seem counter-intuitive, studs actually do allow for the tire to perform better in deep snow and slush. Why? Because the tread pattern can be optimized for deep and slushy stuff without having to compromise as much for ice traction, where the studs do a lot of the heavy lifting. If you look at the best tires for studless ice traction, they have to give up a lot of lateral traction and deep snow ability due to a tighter tread pattern. I've driven and ridden on a lot of studless snow tires and they all seem to give up something in order to be studless.

Of course, just about any studless is better in the wet and dry than studded. The best snow and ice studded tires are almost scary driving at 70MPH in warm weather with a side wind.

No matter what you drive, always carry a high-grade set of chains for all four wheels, along with chain tensioners. A car with summer tires and tight chains will beat the pants off anything without chains. Period.

Back