R3 vs studded r9 vs x ice xi3

Hello! I have done tons of research and keep getting mixed responses. I am looking for the best tire for ice traction, grip, braking etc. I have never got stuck in snow even with all seasons and our city seems to clean the snow pretty good. How would you compare these tires for ice grip? The reason I didn’t include the blizzaks is that it’s said that they only have the special winter compound for the first 50%. I also read that the r3 has some crystals in the thread and someone said it was similar to the blizzacks in which once the tire wears, you lose the benefit of the crystals for traction. Not sure how true it is. All the reviews are very mixed, some say better is r3 some say r3 is the worst on ice, so I wanted to ask yall

thx!!

Hello! I have done tons of research and keep getting mixed responses. I am looking for the best tire for ice traction, grip, braking etc. I have never got stuck in snow even with all seasons and our city seems to clean the snow pretty good. How would you compare these tires for ice grip? The reason I didn’t include the blizzaks is that it’s said that they only have the special winter compound for the first 50%. I also read that the r3 has some crystals in the thread and someone said it was similar to the blizzacks in which once the tire wears, you lose the benefit of the crystals for traction. Not sure how true it is. All the reviews are very mixed, some say better is r3 some say r3 is the worst on ice, so I wanted to ask yall thx!!
Both are great tires, but it seems the r3 give a better ride, have no personal experience with these two, but have alays loved my Nokia

Well if you have never gotten stuck with all seasons, any of the winter tires in your multiple winter tires posts will do .

Sorry I won’t really know probably a mix of some wet ice and then -20 Celsius ice
At -20C (-4F) a premium unstudded tire (like the R3, etc) can have ice traction equal to, or even superior to, a premium studded tire, especially if the ice has a rough surface. As the ice temperature warms up towards 0C, the unstudded tire will have a LARGE degradation in ice traction, and the studded tire will have a small degradation in ice traction. Wet, polished ice is the most hazardous surface you can encounter, and for that you want a premium studded tire from Michelin, Continental, or Nokian.

Read this:

Sorry I won’t really know probably a mix of some wet ice and then -20 Celsius ice

So again for "cold" ice, snow and decent dry and poorer wet and less noise studless winter tires are best bet.
For "warm/wet" ice studded tires are the best with biggest penalty being the noise (the best ones have dry and wet performance similar to studless). Studded may be illegal where one plans to drive.

Krzys

So it is a no brainer to get studded? Or does studless perform better on some types of ice?

So it is a no brainer to get studded? Or does studless perform better on some types of ice?
Get studless.
Get Michelin or Continental Viking 7. I have Viking7 on BMW, and they are absolutely stellar performer. Unlike Nokian, they are good in every discipline.
I am not sure studded are going to help you.
Also, where do you live? What is location?

Get studless.
Get Michelin or Continental Viking 7. I have Viking7 on BMW, and they are absolutely stellar performer. Unlike Nokian, they are good in every discipline.
I am not sure studded are going to help you.
Also, where do you live? What is location?
Calgary Alberta tons of snow and ice
It gets cold af here too

Back