How come you can run amsoil for such a long OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it you can run amsoil for this huge extended drain interval but mobil 1 says to use manufacturer intervals? And when you compare the two, the mobil 1 seems to have everything that amsoil has but also includes around 100 of moly? So you would think the mobil one was a superior oil, correct?
THanks for the input

quote:

And when you compare the two, the mobil 1 seems to have everything that amsoil has but also includes around 100 of moly? So you would think the mobil one was a superior oil, correct?

Yes and no. Mobil 1 has definitly closed the gap. Mobil 1 is on the thin side of a 30wt oil, so in some cars, the A3 rated, thicker Amsoil does better. I don't think there is too much difference but I'd give the edge to Amsoil bc it's A3 rated. S2k is a better oil then Mobil's 0w-30. When the new Mobil 1 R and SUV oils come out this spring, Amsoil could be in trouble.
wink.gif

[ November 30, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I believe the more exact wording from Mobil is to use the manufacturer recommended OCI during the vehicle's warranty period. Basically, they don't want you to lose your warranty because you did not adhere to the OCI listed in your owner's manual. This is true, regardless if you use Mobil 1, Amsoil, or any other oil on the planet.

Also, just because an oil has 100ppm of moly does not automatically mean it's better.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
And when you compare the two, the mobil 1 seems to have everything that amsoil has but also includes around 100 of moly? So you would think the mobil one was a superior oil, correct?

Don't forget, amsoil shows well over 1000 ppm for both zinc and phosphorus. Mobil has drop these additives for API certification. Is moly better than zinc? I don't know, but it seemed to be prefered (with the exception of Schaeffer's) prior to the API SJ rating. Most oils that can get around the dropping of these additives (Motorcycle & Diesel oils) still use higher levels of Zinc & Phosphorus. THis leads me to believe that maybe zinc is better than moly in most cases.

I would say that Mobil1 (with it's continually changing formulas) and Amsoil have significantly different additive packages (calcium comes to mind) and aren't similar at all other than maybe the base oil.

Look up 3mp's 17,000 mile oil test. Synthetic are pretty darn good oils . To be safe an oil anaylsis at the mfg. recommended oil change interval is a good idea to judge how the oil is holding up. Usually when changing to syn. oil The first oil change interval should be at mfg.'s recommended interval due to the cleaning abilities of the syn. oil formulation.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:

Don't forget, amsoil shows well over 1000 ppm for both zinc and phosphorus. Mobil has drop these additives for API certification. Is moly better than zinc? I don't know, but it seemed to be prefered (with the exception of Schaeffer's) prior to the API SJ rating. Most oils that can get around the dropping of these additives (Motorcycle & Diesel oils) still use higher levels of Zinc & Phosphorus. THis leads me to believe that maybe zinc is better than moly in most cases.

The phosphorus is the stuff limited to avoid poisoning the catcon. Amsoil does things differently and expensively, and doesn't fit the API guidelines.

The zinc-phosphorus compound is cheap and works well. The moly-carbamate compound works when the zinc-phosphorus compound starts to give out, so the two of them working together is best.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back