HOORAY!!! SMART Car to be sold in USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our energy problems are solved
lol.gif
!!!
Read this morning in the Detroit Free Press;

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006606270389

There are a lot of Smart cars in Canada already. I think they're quite appropriate for the longer-distance commuter, and frankly, their crash-worthiness is VERY impressive. The only reason they seem to have not been introduced to the US market is because many Americans have a "bigger is better, bigger is safer" mentality when it comes to vehicles, which is many ways isn't always true.

It's definitely true when you're flanked, led and followed by nothing but Cadillac Escalades, Hummer H2s and Ford Excursions. Everything's bigger in Texas, so I followed suit before I got smooshed.

I don't see this car being any less safe than a motorcycle, and how has the uber-presence of SUV's on the road affected motorcycle sales? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't more people ride motorcycles today than ever? So, if that's true, why do people fear this car and yet will ride their Harley while boxed between a semi, an Excursion and those lame Hummers?

I wouldn't want to commute too far in one of these (I've been a passenger in one), but for urban settings this is a perfect vehicle. Daimler just needs to do something about the pricing...

If you crash in a smart you better wear your seatbelt because they don't deform at all.

Before buying a smart, drive it - they have a slow and lousy gearbox. Also their wheelbase is so small, they don't have straight line stability - not for spirited driving.

Excellent mileage, comfort and more eyecatching than a Ferrari. Lots of companies buy them and put their logos on them.

that thing will be speedbumps for F150s and Solverados. I don't know if that is a pratcical car for the truck driving, burger eating, doughnut munching america. The car sells well in europe and asia, but keep in mind that they don't have trucks and hummers. Plus at least 15% of the population here would be too grande to fit into a forfour, not to mention fortwo.

It would probably sell really good here in the beginning, but the demand would quickly vanish as they won't stop rolling over when a F150 drives by. But then the gas price would hit 6 dollars a gallon, and they demand would take off again as truck drivers drive themselve to bankrupcy. We'll see. But I definetly gotta get my hands on one.

Also, there would now be a new way of stealing cars. No messing with wires and fuses. Now you get a few guys together, carry the car home. Plus if you live in a college town and drive a Smart, watching for late night
"Smart Tipping". Hehe.... really can't wait to see that thing here.

quote:

Originally posted by SSQ:
Plus if you live in a college town and drive a Smart, watching for late night
"Smart Tipping". Hehe.... really can't wait to see that thing here.

Hmmm, putting a moped in a dumpster is pretty easy...so I, uh, wonder what the dimensions are on a Smart.

BTW: Congrats on the CWS! You sure put Cow Tipper U. in it's place...

Honestly, do you think it will be any more dangerous than the millions of small cars (Miata, MR2, Aveo, etc) that are already on the road? I'm betting that the Smart is significantly SAFER than most of these cars.

quote:

Originally posted by eliminator:
Honestly, do you think it will be any more dangerous than the millions of small cars (Miata, MR2, Aveo, etc) that are already on the road? I'm betting that the Smart is significantly SAFER than most of these cars.

You're absolutely right, but it's been tested in the EU and you know what that means to redmeat America. Squat. I mean, nobody gives any thought to the fact that there are large vehicles in Europe, not to mention that speeds are far more excessive on the highway and "spirited driving" is the norm.

Naw, none of that nor how the Smart performed in that environment matters. It's all about old misperceptions about small cars. Maybe someday, it'll go away like the short-term OCI has. For now though, we're stuck with the dinosaur mentality...

quote:

Originally posted by Mustang_Cougar:
I don't see this car being any less safe than a motorcycle, and how has the uber-presence of SUV's on the road affected motorcycle sales? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't more people ride motorcycles today than ever? So, if that's true, why do people fear this car and yet will ride their Harley while boxed between a semi, an Excursion and those lame Hummers?

I wouldn't want to commute too far in one of these (I've been a passenger in one), but for urban settings this is a perfect vehicle. Daimler just needs to do something about the pricing...

With bikes its not the number of them, its the miles per year ridden. I rarely see a commuter motorcyclist. The vast majority of riders stick to smaller, less travelled roads and usually ride on weekends. On suburban Atlanta expressways (where we have the longest commute in the nation) motorcycles are few and far between, a time when the accident rate is near its highest. How many bikers do you see riding in the rain? Again, a condition where the accident rate is high.

Smart cars may be plenty safe when tested on their own merits, but when they have to compete for the same road space as SUV's, vans, trucks of all sizes, slammed Civics and all the rest, the EuroNACP stats will not mean much.

One important detail is the fuel mileage. The article lists 60 mpg. That figure apparently is for the diesel version currently in Europe and Canada. That isn't what is coming to the US. The US is getting a model that is 7" longer and heavier with a gas engine. Apparently the EPA lists it at 40 MPG.

These cars have been out and around Austin, Texas for a while. I thought that they have been available for at least a year now, I guess not. This area must have been a test market.

quote:

Originally posted by oli:
One important detail is the fuel mileage. The article lists 60 mpg. That figure apparently is for the diesel version currently in Europe and Canada. That isn't what is coming to the US. The US is getting a model that is 7" longer and heavier with a gas engine. Apparently the EPA lists it at 40 MPG.

Stupid idiots... what is the matter with people.. or I mean the idiot consumers in the USA?

I guess I answered my own question, theyre idiots. A diesel smart car would be awesome, I guess 60 MPGis too high for us...

Id love a diesel smart four door... but I think Id be even happier with a diesel honda fit. WHY NOT, oh WHY NOT????

JMH

I had a Geo Metro back in the early-mid 90's. It was a love/hate relationship. Got great MPG. It was easy to park and to a certain degree, fun to drive. But - it was a pain in the butt on a long trip and several times I came close to getting run over on the interstate by Semi's that I assume didn't see me, (they would change lanes with me next to them). I "loaned" it to a "friend" who needed a car for a few days. I never saw him or the car again. But then, I didn't really look either.

quote:

It's all about old misperceptions about small cars. For now though, we're stuck with the dinosaur mentality... [/QB]

How about this perception. mobile magazine smart car crash test video You will have to search that site for the "smart car crash test video". Or search google. or search left lane news for "mercedes S class vs Smart". If you are into breakdancing, this car could teach you some new moves
fruit.gif

[ June 28, 2006, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: oli ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back