Honda S2000 - Mobil 1 10W 30 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the best wear numbers to date.

4000kms on the oil
short trips on the weekdays and longer trips on the weekend. Summer conditions. I even found a rip in my air filter that occured for about a day or so.

Sample Date 8/17/2003
Unit Age 25600k
Time on Fluid 4000k
Time on Filter 4000k
Fluid Maint. Changed
Filter Maint. Changed
Fluid MO462
Iron (Fe) 8.9
Chromium (Cr) 0.7
Nickel (Ni) 0.4
Titanium (Ti) 0.1
Silver (Ag) 0.2
Aluminum (Al) 5.8
Lead (Pb) 0
Copper (Cu) 2.8
Tin (Sn) 0
Silicon (Si) 5.6
Sodium (Na) 9.1
Potassium (K) 0
Boron (B) 199
Barium (Ba) 0.1
Molybdenum (Mo) 80
Magnesium (Mg) 35
Calcium (Ca) 3095
Phosphorus (P) 780
Zinc (Zn) 1034
Sulfur (S) 1820
Manganese (Mn) 102
Vanadium (V) 0.3
Fuel(%)
Oxidation(PA) 71
Nitratrion(PA) 45
Sulfation(PA) 66
Kv@100°C 10
White Metal NONE
Babbitt NONE
Precipitate NONE
Silt NONE
Debris NONE
Dirt NONE
Appearance NORML
Odor NORML
H2O(Emul) NEG
H2O(Free) NEG

[ August 21, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: SilverStreak ]

the numbers look pretty good for that high revving motor, low lead and copper numbers stand out which is nice. most of those s2000 motors have a bit of iron wear count, yours looks pretty good, its a short mileage interval though, but still looks good. Oil hasnt thinned out too much. Oxidation , nitration numbers look high but I've come to learn that those estimates arent that reliable. They shouldnt be that high in 4000 kms, but I wouldnt sweat it. No TBN number to look at.

Joey

quote:

Originally posted by SilverStreak:
Boron (B) 199
Molybdenum (Mo) 80
Magnesium (Mg) 35
Calcium (Ca) 3095
Phosphorus (P) 780
Zinc (Zn) 1034

Folks, I think what we're seeing here is the GF-4 formulation of Mobil 1. Look at the increased levels of Ca and B, and note the P is now below the GF-4 mandated 800 ppm.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Boron (B) 199
Molybdenum (Mo) 80
Magnesium (Mg) 35
Calcium (Ca) 3095
Phosphorus (P) 780
Zinc (Zn) 1034

Folks, I think what we're seeing here is the GF-4 formulation of Mobil 1. Look at the increased levels of Ca and B, and note the P is now below the GF-4 mandated 800 ppm.

What is the GF-4 formulation? My other results had similar numbers for B, Ca and P.

G-Man is right, I've been noticing that. It looks like a good combo! Great results. M1 10w-30 just keeps putting out great numbers.

I'm really surprised that the Canadian version of SuperSyn is already showing these new changes. Usually we're far behind the US, since we didn't get SuperSyn on our shelves for at least 6 months after the US got it, so you'd think we'd still have a lot of older supplies of the previous formula of SuperSyn before they started stocking the shelves with the tweaked version.

Yes, 1 Litre of top up oil. The F20C engine likes to drink oil
smile.gif

S2,

Congratulations on a solid report (and on a mighty nice auto). Results like these, especially coming from a high-performance, high-revving engine like yours, are a nice endorsement for M1 chemistry...again, congrats.

[ August 23, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I use a K&N oil filter.

A buddy of mine has a Supercharged S2000 and his wear numbers are near mine except for aluminum. It is near 30ppm, a bit high but his Mobil 1 10W 30 thinned to near be 5W30 or even thinner. However, he used a Puralator PureOne filter.

Why do you think he has higher Aluminum wear?

quote:

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I use a K&N oil filter.

A buddy of mine has a Supercharged S2000 and his wear numbers are near mine except for aluminum. It is near 30ppm, a bit high but his Mobil 1 10W 30 thinned to near be 5W30 or even thinner. However, he used a Puralator PureOne filter.

Why do you think he has higher Aluminum wear?

I would seriously tell him to first start using a Honda oil filter, you know Honda designed that oil filter to work on a 9000 rpm motor, highly unlikely Purolator knows anything about a 9000 rpm motor. Oil flow is critical on such high revving motors. I'm not saying the filter lead to such high numbers on your friend's car but there is some evindence to suggest they can be a bit restrictive. K&N seem to have a good reputation on their oil filters but even then I have to say why chance it, its just one less thing to worry about when using a Honda oil filter. I would naturally expect a supercharged high revving motor to have significantly more wear metals than your naturally aspirated motor, but its almost impossible for us to tell him what is causing the extra metal wear -supercharger, oil filter, oil , air filter, driving habits ? , etc..... .

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
[/qb]

I would seriously tell him to first start using a Honda oil filter, you know Honda designed that oil filter to work on a 9000 rpm motor, highly unlikely Purolator knows anything about a 9000 rpm motor. Oil flow is critical on such high revving motors. I'm not saying the filter lead to such high numbers on your friend's car but there is some evindence to suggest they can be a bit restrictive. K&N seem to have a good reputation on their oil filters but even then I have to say why chance it, its just one less thing to worry about when using a Honda oil filter. I would naturally expect a supercharged high revving motor to have significantly more wear metals than your naturally aspirated motor, but its almost impossible for us to tell him what is causing the extra metal wear -supercharger, oil filter, oil , air filter, driving habits ? , etc..... . [/QB][/QUOTE]

the honda oil filter for the s2000 is the same generic filter used on other hondas, odyssey, accord, etc etc etc, and these oil filters are apparently made by fram now which isn't popular in construction quality. I wouldn't call the honda filter anything special for the s2000. Now you bring up a point about flow, where the K&N filters try not to sacrifice filtering for flow. I do know that different size filters can affect flow. Smaller filters increase oil pressure, am I correct? Some use clamps on filters to keep the filter from flexing...all old wives tales?

Yes, I wouldn't use the domestic Honda filter. I'll stick with what has been working. If I really wanted to do a test I would keep the PureOne on and do a UOA on it to see how it compares against the K&N. However, I am not going to take that chance. 31ppm of Al, is too much of a risk for me, that is almost an extra years worth on one interval.

...and another.
smile.gif

[ November 26, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back