Mobil 1 10w30 - 17,000 mi - Dodge Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad report and the engine would last many years at that interval but I'd back it to 10 to 12,000 or give EP a run.

thanks for posting

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Ran it too far. Try 7500. I do like the top ups.

Agreed... stick to a max of 10k.

Originally Posted By: AlanCanada
My friend Frank would ask you why you would run beyond 3000 mi. The UOA looks good, if anyone can point out what's wrong with the oil sample I am interested in learning.

It seems about all you'll hear is "you ran it too long" based just on miles...

Looking at the universal averages in Pablo's post, I have to ask, how are the data expressed, PPM or PQ? Your numbers seem lower than Wear Check's universal averages, the oil is in grade, there's plenty of additive left? I really can't see why you can't comfortably do 20K, particularly since you're consuming some and have the opportunity to top off the oil. Given this UOA, that's what I'd do.

If I were going to just change it at 10K, I wouldn't bother getting a UOA. What's the point of doing it if you aren't going to use it for guidance as to what is an appropriate change interval?

There are a lot of posts here that this was run too long. I contacted Wearcheck and they are going to run the TAN test for me. I will post the TAN vs TBN when the results are in. If anyone thinks this was run too long, please share what part of the UOA indicates this or what data we are missing.

I'm with you Alan. Where is the problem? It seems extending is ok until it is extended out of one's personal comfort zone, then it's not ok. Personally, I would never do it. If you're comfortable and have faith in the report....have at it dude!!

So how much would the 900ml add a couple weeks before the test affect the TBN? TBN number looks pretty high for length of use. Will be interesting to see the TAN too.

How long do the engineers that built you car advise? Is Chrysler at 6k/6months? 2 choices on my '02 Honda V6. Regular 7500/1year. Severe 3750/6 months. I prefer 6 month changes which happens to be 4,000-4,500,for me. I run synthetic 'cause I think it's a better performing product. I want fewer contaminants and metals in my oil,and the protection of fresher fluids. It's a free country,you can run what you want.

Too bad the the almost 1 litre top up was performed just ahead of the UOA. That spoiled the TAN/TBN #'s. Then we have no particle counts or filter content analysis. The detected fine and slough wear look somewhat greater than average. You are a brave guy, if I was in Ontario and trying to stretch my OCI I would do at least winter/spring OCI(2x/Annum).

do you really want to bet it all on the results of an inexpensive UOA?
I use them myself, just for kicks, want to really see what is going on in the engine? spend the $275 to get a spectro done they'll even send you pics of the wear metals -magnified xxx times of course.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back